Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone hear about this before?
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Anyone hear about this before?
"A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News"

Quote:Republican media strategist Roger Ailes launched Fox News Channel in 1996, ostensibly as a "fair and balanced" counterpoint to what he regarded as the liberal establishment media. But according to a remarkable document buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library, the intellectual forerunner for Fox News was a nakedly partisan 1970 plot by Ailes and other Nixon aides to circumvent the "prejudices of network news" and deliver "pro-administration" stories to heartland television viewers.

The memo—called, simply enough, "A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News"— is included in a 318-page cache of documents detailing Ailes' work for both the Nixon and George H.W. Bush administrations that we obtained from the Nixon and Bush presidential libraries. Through his firms REA Productions and Ailes Communications, Inc., Ailes served as paid consultant to both presidents in the 1970s and 1990s, offering detailed and shrewd advice ranging from what ties to wear to how to keep the pressure up on Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the first Gulf War.

Just a snippet of the article. Clearly from Gawker and left leaning, but the information is coming directly from his memo, and it raises some issues for me at least.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 11:31 PM by UCF08.)
05-30-2012 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
RE: Anyone hear about this before?
Yes. This has been in the works for over 40 years.
05-31-2012 12:39 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Who do they think will fall for this distraction? O loses if the election is about his record and how the US has suffered through his failure of a presidency. Using deceit to point out the GOP's deceit. Good plan, NOT.
05-31-2012 02:44 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-30-2012 11:30 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Just a snippet of the article. Clearly from Gawker and left leaning, but the information is coming directly from his memo, and it raises some issues for me at least.

Pfft. What issues? If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I'd think this would raise more issues, yet you haven't mentioned it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/20...-halo.html
05-31-2012 06:40 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

It's hard to claim you're a news organization when it comes out that the organizations intent is to specifically bat for a particular political party. Those are the issues. If Fox News was in Russia, we'd call it Pravda.
05-31-2012 06:53 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2012 06:53 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  It's hard to claim you're a news organization when it comes out that the organizations intent is to specifically bat for a particular political party. Those are the issues. If Fox News was in Russia, we'd call it Pravda.

It goes both ways. MSNBC is clearly cheer-leading for Obama.
05-31-2012 06:56 AM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2012 06:56 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 06:53 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  It's hard to claim you're a news organization when it comes out that the organizations intent is to specifically bat for a particular political party. Those are the issues. If Fox News was in Russia, we'd call it Pravda.

You don't see an inherent difference between MSNBC and a news organization that was literally created with the express purpose to increase the GOPs visibility and tow their line? 03-banghead
05-31-2012 07:00 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2012 07:00 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

You don't see an inherent difference between MSNBC and a news organization that was literally created with the express purpose to increase the GOPs visibility and tow their line? 03-banghead

MSNBC is the exact same. Even if they started out not intending to do that with the Dems, they've certainly changed their strategy and embraced being a mouth-puppet for the dems. No objectivity left in mainstream news. It's been that way for a long time.
05-31-2012 07:03 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2012 07:03 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  

MSNBC is the exact same. Even if they started out not intending to do that with the Dems, they've certainly changed their strategy and embraced being a mouth-puppet for the dems. No objectivity left in mainstream news. It's been that way for a long time.

No, it hasn't. I'm sorry, but the extent isn't anywhere near comparable.

EDIT: This is the part where every conservative labels be a liberal and ignores this issue. But I'm not, I'm an independent who's losing faith with any legitimate self-awareness of the GOP backing conservative camp. You're arguing that the fact information is coming out that shows Fox was created to further a specific political party means that it's the same as a station which happens to have more liberal commentators and a slight slant, it's depressing to me that this is what politics has become. The first reaction is "WELL THE LIBS DO IT" like it relegates any sort of blame or judgement even if that were the case?
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 07:11 AM by UCF08.)
05-31-2012 07:05 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

Have you even watched msnbc....
05-31-2012 07:15 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-31-2012 07:05 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

EDIT: This is the part where every conservative labels be a liberal and ignores this issue. But I'm not, I'm an independent who's losing faith with any legitimate self-awareness of the GOP backing conservative camp. You're arguing that the fact information is coming out that shows Fox was created to further a specific political party means that it's the same as a station which happens to have more liberal commentators and a slight slant, it's depressing to me that this is what politics has become. The first reaction is "WELL THE LIBS DO IT" like it relegates any sort of blame or judgement even if that were the case?

How many msnbc hosts are or have been air America hosts? The only difference between fox and msnbc is more people watch fox.

Fox also has better news coverage outside of the opinion shows.
05-31-2012 07:17 AM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2012 07:05 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

The fact that you can't tell how liberal MSNBC is tells me that you lean that way politically. Fox and MSNBC are exactly the same! Almost every mainstream media station is Liberal and Fox is republican. They all suck. Watch TV news for entertainment. Get your news from multiple sources. Online is the best place to start.
05-31-2012 07:17 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-31-2012 07:05 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  EDIT: This is the part where every conservative labels be a liberal and ignores this issue. But I'm not, I'm an independent who's losing faith with any legitimate self-awareness of the GOP backing conservative camp.

03-lol

You're a liberal patsy who thinks people are as easily deluded as you are. You're only as independent as your caretakers have told you to be.
05-31-2012 07:30 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2012 07:30 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 07:05 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  EDIT: This is the part where every conservative labels be a liberal and ignores this issue. But I'm not, I'm an independent who's losing faith with any legitimate self-awareness of the GOP backing conservative camp.

03-lol

You're a liberal patsy who thinks people are as easily deluded as you are. You're only as independent as your caretakers have told you to be.

I've voted 40-60 throughout my entire life, you can claim I'm a liberal all you want but my record shows otherwise.
05-31-2012 09:50 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-31-2012 09:50 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 07:30 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
03-lol
I've voted 40-60 throughout my entire life, you can claim I'm a liberal all you want but my record shows otherwise.

Name an issue where you take a conservative position and tell us what that conservative position is.

You obviously take left-wing/liberal positions on many issues and have shared them here. If you are truly a centrist, there must be some issues where you take a right-of-center position to offset those left-of-center positions. What are they?
05-31-2012 10:46 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Ailes was clearly ahead of his time. Good for him.
05-31-2012 11:28 AM
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-31-2012 07:00 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  You don't see an inherent difference between MSNBC and a news organization that was literally created with the express purpose to increase the GOPs visibility and tow their line? 03-banghead

I do not watch Fox News. Actually, I don't care for it.

Do we know that plan is what became the Fox News business plan prior to launch? It may be, or it may not be.

If you condemn an organization in present day because of the motivation of its founders, would you apply the same test to Planned Parenthood, since it was founded largely based on eugenics?
05-31-2012 11:54 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
I get my news from Comedy Central and my comedy from Fox News. Watch the documentary Outfoxed some time. They interview former Fox employees who talk about being reprimanded when they utter something liberal, and how daily memos would go out to all the on-air talent telling them how stories are to be spun. It's 6-8 years old but just as relevant today as ever. And yes, Fox News is banned from the airwaves in Canada for lying, but they've fought to have courts here in the US recognize their First Amendment right to lie their asses off.

If any of you watched MSNBC you'd know a lot of the time it runs reality TV prison specials, and the prime morning slot is given to a small government former GOP congressman who makes snarky comments about Obama and liberalism (but I like the show anyway). Get back to me when Fox News gives a liberal his own show. Not in a million years.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 11:56 AM by Max Power.)
05-31-2012 11:55 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-31-2012 11:55 AM)Max Power Wrote:  the prime morning slot is given to a small government former GOP congressman who makes snarky comments about Obama and liberalism (but I like the show anyway). Get back to me when Fox News gives a liberal his own show. Not in a million years.

That conservative co hosts with a Marxist... Sorta like the old hannity and colms(sp)
05-31-2012 12:05 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
I'd agree Mika Brzynski's a liberal, but a Marxist? Where did you get that?

Besides she's hardly a co-host. Mika rarely opines, and most of the talking she does is to read the days headlines. Joe Scarborough is always in the middle of the discussion, pushing GOP talking points and making long winded speeches. I watch this show every day. I like Joe and his sense of humor but he dominates the conversations and takes frequent swipes at Obama.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 01:26 PM by Max Power.)
05-31-2012 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.