ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New game day traditions
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
New game day traditions
Figured I would give it it's own thread.

Unfortunately I've never been to a football game and haven't been to basketball game in years so I don't know what goes on but moving to a new conference and a new football division means we need new traditions.
05-26-2012 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sithlord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
RE: New game day traditions
THIS^!!!!

I so want to get some type of dueling chant across the stadium. I don't care what it is, but let's get something going.

:ugaexams:
05-26-2012 12:25 PM
LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

I forget what school I saw that does it, but at the end of a basketball game, if their team is about to win, they chant "winning team!" (and point at their team) then "losing team!" (and point at the losers!) Thought it was pretty cool.
05-26-2012 11:35 PM
RowdyRunnerRowd Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
^^^^Utah State
05-26-2012 11:53 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-26-2012 11:35 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  I forget what school I saw that does it, but at the end of a basketball game, if their team is about to win, they chant "winning team!" (and point at their team) then "losing team!" (and point at the losers!) Thought it was pretty cool.

The student section had a pretty good version of that cheer underway during the 2010-2011 season:

Do I see a scoreboard?
(Yes you see a scoreboard)

Do I see a 68?
(Yes you see a 68)

Do I see a 52?
(Yes you see a 52)

Winning Team, Losing Team, Winning Team, Losing Team ...Yeahhhh!

Unfortunately, that cheer did not survive repositioning of the band with the student section at the beginning of last season. The band, I believe, is prohibited from taunting, and it is apparently not as much fun to do the in-your-face stuff from across the stadium.
05-27-2012 05:51 AM
The Lion King

Do we have a thing like ECU and Tech have where we run on to the field to a song like purple haze or enter sandman? If not, what song would be the best?
05-29-2012 12:09 AM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2012 12:09 AM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  Do we have a thing like ECU and Tech have where we run on to the field to a song like purple haze or enter sandman? If not, what song would be the best?

We could always just run "Welcome to the Jungle" from run-on to kickoff.
05-29-2012 12:43 AM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

It was "Thunderstruck" in year 1. Last year was "He's A Pirate" from the Pirates of The Caribbean soundtrack. I think they have played "Jungle" right before the kick every game.
05-29-2012 02:48 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

Can't help but think the title of this thread is a serious oxymoron.01-wingedeagle
05-29-2012 03:37 PM
The Lion King

(05-29-2012 03:37 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  Can't help but think the title of this thread is a serious oxymoron.01-wingedeagle

Just trying to get conversations started.
05-29-2012 05:11 PM
MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
Here are some clips of the game day atmosphere in Joan C Edwards Stadium.

The first two videos are our intros the last two years.

The next video is a compilation of highlights from last year's game with ECU. Since we're the Thundering Herd we have incorporated thunder and Thunderstruck into a lot of what we do. You can hear the TD Air Raid Siren, the audio clip of a clap of thunder after a first down and the third down Hells Bells/Thunderstruck audio clip.

The last video is the 2010 Plane Crash Tribute intro.

05-29-2012 05:11 PM
Advertisement

MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
East Carolina raises the "No Quarter" flag between the 3rd and 4th quarters.

2010 Intro

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 05:24 PM by MUTeke.)
05-29-2012 05:24 PM
MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
This video show the Marshall football team being led out of the tunnel by Marco on the Herd Harley.

05-29-2012 05:27 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

We got a lot of work to do.
05-29-2012 05:48 PM
ODU True Blue Online
All American

I work for the company that builds our nation's Carriers. The most iconic ship in the Navy, the USS Enterprise, the "Big E" has sailed on her final deployment. When she returns to port they will begin actions to decommission and deactivate her. One of our Executive VPs in as ODU grad. I emailed him to see if we could get the ship bell from her to do a sort of "Howard's Rock" and run down "The Hill" tradition like Clemson does. We ring the bell, players touch it and charge onto the field. He was happily willing to go to the Navy to see about getting it if ODU wanted it. So I emailed Selig and Wilder about that. Selig responded (and copied the email to the entire senior athletic department personnel, Bobby Wilder and others at the University) to get feedback. Then the next day he replied to me (and again copied everyone from his first email) that they were happy with the Monarch Walk and our current traditions such as touching the lion head by the gate.....

Well that is a great tradition, but the only ones who see that are those tailgating in the big money lot. But most people are in the stands as they take the field right before kickoff. I was very disappointed with their answer.

I also know, that at this late stage, I'm pretty sure the Navy has plans for the ship's bell for such a historic ship.

I thought my idea would make a great tie-in to the Navy's influence locally. And in many ways to the local community, my company is the largest employer of ODU grads in the nation, currently at 985. We could even have gotten a former ship crewmember to ring the bell. Heck there will be former crew alive for likely the next 60+ years.
06-01-2012 11:27 AM
bit_9 Offline

That's a really cool idea True Blue. Sorry it didn't come to fruition. I had no idea we as a team even had a tradition of rubbing the lion outside the gate? This year I def won't get to witness the Monarch Walk (Is that with the band as they walk thru campus?) out in the White lot.
06-01-2012 12:19 PM
Advertisement

bigblueodu Offline
1st String

We can't have more than one tradition?
How bout the walk... rub 'ole Big Blue's snout.. get dressed... around gametime someone starts ringing the damn bell until the team runs onto the field... than Howitzer fires.
06-01-2012 02:05 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

I seriously want a live lion at Foreman. On non game days he could live in a sweet habitat on campus like Mike has at LSU. It would also have the added bonus of annoying the hell out of PETA.
06-01-2012 02:19 PM
bit_9 Offline

We got a zoo down the street! hah that would cause such a up... roar!? anyone? from PETA probably.
06-01-2012 02:36 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

Heck, why not the entire Enterprise. We'll need more parking and tailgate areas if we expand Foreman Field. Have a floating bridge out to it. Good experience for the Engineering department. NO other school could have bragging rights for the coolest tailgating. Yeah, I know I'm delusional.
06-01-2012 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.