Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So, just how unstable is the BE right now?
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
So, just how unstable is the BE right now?
The ACC can potentially get hammered later this summer, and yet, lots of folks, in the media and on message boards, want to talk about how crappy the BE contract might be, and how unstable the conference is, how the Catholic schools will split, and how the whole thing will implode. Not the ACC. The BE. People just assume the ACC will reload with BE teams.

Brett McMurphy even suggested today that if the BE loses 2 of UL/UConn/RU to the ACC, then Boise and SDSU will leave, and the BE will be in big trouble, or even implode.

I started thinking about worst case scenarios, and concluded that the BE will survive, and even the worst case might not be so bad for all parties involved.

1. Let's say the ACC loses 2 teams. They could stand pat at 12. No harm, no foul to the BE.

2. Or the ACC loses 2, and they take 2 of UL/UConn/RU. That hurts BB, but not FB so much, b/c, as some media types have written this week, the BE has already lost all its national name FB teams.

The BE could add all 3 of BYU/AF/Fresno to get back to 14, and chug along in FB. On the BB side, they are hurt worse, but BB is only about 20-30% of the total TV contract.

The BB side might want to split, but they wouldn't have the votes to kick out the remaining FB teams. So they would likely have to leave the BE name behind and start a new conference with some A-10 teams. Not likely.

Or, they can stay put, and the BE can simply add the BB only teams that the BB side wants, that would also be good for our contract. Let's say Xavier and Butler, to start.

3. Now let's say the ACC loses 4 teams, maybe FSU and Clemson to the B12, and VT and NCSU to the SEC. The ACC could add two, and stay at 12, and the same scenario as #2 kicks in.

4. Or, perhaps worst case for the BE, let's say the ACC loses 4, and takes 4 BE teams from UL/UC/UConn/USF/RU. The BE still takes BYU/AF/Fresno and stays at 12 FB teams. On the BB side, now we add Xavier, Butler, VCU and one more, for example.

5. HOWEVER, if the ACC loses 4 teams, then others will start looking for the exits, just like in the BE. Only they will be looking for entry into the Big 4. The B12 could come back for Miami and Georgia Tech. The B10 might jump in to take some combo of UNC/Duke/UVA/MD/Pitt. Up to 4, perhaps.

So, if the ACC loses 4 teams, then 6 more could possibly leave. That would leave Wake, BC, 'Cuse and one more unlucky school. There likely aren't enough BE teams left that they would take to get back to 10 or 12.

Now, I'm not going to argue all these silly scenarios. Yeah, none of it might happen, or some of it, or different teams, or whatever.

The point is, if the ACC takes 2 BE teams, the BE will survive and move on. Less money in the contract perhaps, but otherwise okay. And even if the BE loses 4 teams, same deal. Hurts worse, but the BE would survive, and most of the original group would be gone, and the remaining schools would be pretty happy, still.

HOWEVER, IF the ACC loses 4 teams itself, then lots of other ACC schools could start bailing. I'm not saying they will, but they'll try, and I'm certainly not saying the BE will raid the ACC, but so many schools could leave the ACC, that it won't matter any more. Even IF they kept taking BE teams (unlikley), then most of the BE FB teams would be happy, Boise and SDSU would go home, and the Catholic schools would keep the BE name and take some A-10 schools.

I just don't buy into the theory that the ACC losing teams is going to automatically mean they will reload and destroy the BE. Yeah, anything is possible, but thinking through the scenarios makes it clear that the BE can, and will, survive.

Losing 2 is a dent. Losing 4 will hurt worse, but the ones left will still make more money than ever before, and the unhappy FB schools will be gone. Still have good FB and really good BB. Works for me.

And no, I'm not going to debate all this silliness. It's my idea. Go get your own. This is strictly for me, and for the other posters who want to look on the bright side.

Those of you who want to predict doom and gloom, just leave the conference and go where you're happy. If you can. 03-lmfao

And PLEASE, don't keep re-quoting this whole thing. Just pick out a line or two, or just refer to the OP.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:00 PM by TripleA.)
05-25-2012 08:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: So, just how unstable is the BE right now?
(05-25-2012 08:51 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The ACC can potentially get hammered later this summer, and yet, lots of folks, in the media and on message boards, want to talk about how crappy the BE contract might be, and how unstable the conference is, how the Catholic schools will split, and how the whole thing will implode. Not the ACC. The BE. People just assume the ACC will reload with BE teams.

Our stability is this: If, right now, any of our schools was invited to join any of the other former BCS-AQ conferences, they would all accept and leave the Big East.
05-25-2012 08:54 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
If we get a good TV deal, and there is every indication we will, then that fact would/could/should change with respect to the ACC.
05-25-2012 08:57 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
Couple of things:

1- Boise has BURNED its bridges to the MWC conference... if the angry, hate-spewing criticisms about their failed meeting w/ Boise for MWC officials a few weeks ago isn't a clear sign, I don't know what is.

2- (odd) San Diego State wasn't mentioned at-ALL by the MWC in it's hate-laced tirades, even though MWC Commish Craig "Hair" Thompson admitted that "SDSU has formally withdrawn in Football, but not other sports, at this time." If there is smoke on this item, it would seem like the Big West Conference, who would get screwed if MWC suddenly decided to ALLOW non-FB members-in, has been silent & wholly unconcerned about all this stuff.

3- SDSU has a home in the Big West and welcome with open-arms. Boise wants into the Big West, but may or may not get that deal done soon... may end up in the dying WAC for a year, or whatever. We knew the risks when we signed the contracts.

Conclusion on the "West" faction: We're coming, and when stated.

Boise will do its best, but will not return to the MWC, because we can make money as an ESPN-contracted Independent in the short-term, just like BYU is doing. No WAY are we returning to an abysmal FB TV contract.

Just my thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:01 PM by BadWillHunting.)
05-25-2012 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

Why is Boise willing to take these types of risks:

Because even after TWO hugely-rated and classic Fiesta Bowl wins, ESPN offered our then-conference a mere 1.crap Million per school. We can make much more than that playing just an opener at VT, Georgia, Michigan St. from them.

Conclusion: We have value, we're not dumping it due to concerns about regionality or etc.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:04 PM by BadWillHunting.)
05-25-2012 09:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2012 08:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 08:51 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The ACC can potentially get hammered later this summer, and yet, lots of folks, in the media and on message boards, want to talk about how crappy the BE contract might be, and how unstable the conference is, how the Catholic schools will split, and how the whole thing will implode. Not the ACC. The BE. People just assume the ACC will reload with BE teams.

Our stability is this: If, right now, any of our schools was invited to join any of the other former BCS-AQ conferences, they would all accept and leave the Big East.
Of course they would. Did you even read the OP at all? I never said a single school would turn down an offer to the ACC, only that the BE could survive, and be okay. And if it fell completely apart, almost everybody could STILL come out okay. And there are LOTS of options the BE has to survive and do pretty well, too.
05-25-2012 09:04 PM
Advertisement

BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

(05-25-2012 09:04 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 08:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Of course they would. Did you even read the OP at all? I never said a single school would turn down an offer to the ACC, only that the BE could survive, and be okay. And if it fell completely apart, almost everybody could STILL come out okay. And there are LOTS of options the BE has to survive and do pretty well, too.

I agree with this view on the issue...
05-25-2012 09:07 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2012 08:59 PM)BadWillHunting Wrote:  Couple of things:

1- Boise has BURNED its bridges to the MWC conference... if the angry, hate-spewing criticisms about their failed meeting w/ Boise for MWC officials a few weeks ago isn't a clear sign, I don't know what is.

2- (odd) San Diego State wasn't mentioned at-ALL by the MWC in it's hate-laced tirades, even though MWC Commish Craig "Hair" Thompson admitted that "SDSU has formally withdrawn in Football, but not other sports, at this time." If there is smoke on this item, it would seem like the Big West Conference, who would get screwed if MWC suddenly decided to ALLOW non-FB members-in, has been silent & wholly unconcerned about all this stuff.

3- SDSU has a home in the Big West and welcome with open-arms. Boise wants into the Big West, but may or may not get that deal done soon... may end up in the dying WAC for a year, or whatever. We knew the risks when we signed the contracts.

Boise will do its best, but will not return to the MWC, because we can make money as an ESPN-contracted Independent in the short-term, just like BYU is doing. No WAY are we returning to an abysmal FB TV contract.

Just my thoughts.
I agree with you. That's one reason the BE can stay in business. For the FB teams who remain, it can become a much better thing than it was for any of us. The BB side can be salvaged, and the FB schools, who would really be unhappy with any more losses, would be gone to the ACC, anyway.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:09 PM by TripleA.)
05-25-2012 09:07 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

(05-25-2012 09:07 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 08:59 PM)BadWillHunting Wrote:  Couple of things:

Just my thoughts.
I agree with you. That's one reason the BE can stay in business. For the FB teams who remain, it can become a much better thing than it was for any of us. The BB side can be salvaged, and the FB schools, who would really be unhappy with any more losses, would be gone to the ACC, anyway.

It's honestly a very good thing for this whole situation that Boise is 'used' to conference-moves and is so fast-growing and looking toward the future. SDSU is also a big-time Fast-Grower, and won't just sit-around and wait for some PAC invite that will probably never come.

We're used to growth & change and know that only "death" awaits us in any "return" scenario.
05-25-2012 09:13 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I just kept asking myself, "What is the worst thing that can happen to the BE?" Well, the worst is that it implodes, as everyone assumes, and all the new FB teams go back where they were.

But much more likely, a few teams, at most, will leave, probably the ones who are unhappy now, anyway, and the rest of us will be just fine. The BE will be a lot different, but that's the way it goes. And the Catholic schools will still have a better option to stay, than to split. They would never have enough votes to kick us out, leaving them to leave w/o the BE name and start over with the A-10 teams.

A better option is for them to stay as is, keep the BE name, keep Memphis and Temple, tolerate UCF, SMU and UH (who all could get much better), and STILL add whatever A-10 teams they want.

And it's even possible that the great majority of the ACC jumps to the B12, B10 and SEC, and the remaining 4 or 5 teams just merge with the BE, which almost happened to the potential B12 leftovers last year, and also the year before.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:23 PM by TripleA.)
05-25-2012 09:19 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Multiple articles have come out estimating 130-155+ contracts for the Big East, and one has mentioned a much lower number. Everybody freaks.

Articles and posts assuming a mass exodus from the ACC and huge losses to the Big East as the weakened ACC backfills consume the NCAA boards. Everyone is having a complete hissy fit.

All this, based upon the idea that everything has changed in the BCS. Of course, this would be the same BCS that hasnt even decided what the post season plan will be, who will be included, or how the money will be split.

Basically, this thing is like an NBA game. The whole thing will be decided in the last 2 minutes. Right now, we are 6 minutes into into the first quarter and the score is 14 to 8. Just relax. This is going to take awhile. If you got a brew, pop the top.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-25-2012 09:30 PM
Advertisement

BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

(05-25-2012 09:19 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I just kept asking myself, "What is the worst thing that can happen to the BE?" Well, the worst is that it implodes, as everyone assumes, and all the new FB teams go back where they were.

But much more likely, a few teams, at most, will leave, probably the ones who are unhappy now, anyway, and the rest of us will be just fine. The BE will be a lot different, but that's the way it goes. And the Catholic schools will still have a better option to stay, than to split. They would never have enough votes to kick us out, leaving them to leave w/o the BE name and start over with the A-10 teams.

A better option is for them to stay as is, keep the BE name, keep Memphis and Temple, tolerate UCF, SMU and UH (who all could get much better), and STILL add whatever A-10 teams they want.

And it's even possible that the great majority of the ACC jumps to the B12, B10 and SEC, and the remaining 4 or 5 teams just merge with the BE, which almost happened to the potential B12 leftovers last year, and also the year before.

If that day comes... you won't hear us hating-on the Big East... and We won't be going back to the MWC unless its a non-FB addition.

We build, and we're good at it... we don't really destroy.
05-25-2012 09:32 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-25-2012 09:19 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I just kept asking myself, "What is the worst thing that can happen to the BE?" Well, the worst is that it implodes, as everyone assumes, and all the new FB teams go back where they were.

lol. If that happened, forget the Alliance. We would end up in the the first 20 team national mega conference and would spend literally months wading through millions of posts discussing what "pod" we should be in....
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:37 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-25-2012 09:35 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2012 09:30 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  Multiple articles have come out estimating 130-155+ contracts for the Big East, and one has mentioned a much lower number. Everybody freaks.

Articles and posts assuming a mass exodus from the ACC and huge losses to the Big East as the weakened ACC backfills consume the NCAA boards. Everyone is having a complete hissy fit.

All this, based upon the idea that everything has changed in the BCS. Of course, this would be the same BCS that hasnt even decided what the post season plan will be, who will be included, or how the money is split.

Basically, this thing is like an NBA game. The whole thing will be decided in the last 2 minutes. Right now, we are 6 minutes into into the first quarter and the score is 14 to 8. Just relax. This is going to take awhile. If you got a brew, pop the top.
That's exactly how I feel. This is FUN to follow. All the doomsday scenarios are ridiculous, for now. And even when all the newbies here think through worst case, it ain't all that bad, and could be really good.

I honestly think the ACC might lose 2 or 4, take 2 from the BE, and everybody keeps on trucking. And if we lose 4, the ones who want out the worst will be gone, anyway.
05-25-2012 09:36 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

(05-25-2012 09:35 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  

lol. If that happened, forget the Alliance. We would end up in the the first 20 team national mega conference and would spnd months wading through millions of posts descussing what "pod" we would be in..

LOL.

I am not and have never been in CUSA... but I can echo that sentiment.

Note that the "Non-Alliance" between MWC/CUSA has done nothing, and probably never will, since the MWC schools east of the Rockies are stuck on the idea of having a larger FCS "Big Sky" conference, rather than going-along with what the market demands.

My view? The alliance will eventually announce their "series" and try again and fail to get an additional "Championship" game approved by NCAA. After that? Hilarity, meltdown, MWC saying little, CUSA pulling-out for greener-pastures and Taking-Up that "Non-Annointed" Banner and holding it.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:40 PM by BadWillHunting.)
05-25-2012 09:36 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2012 09:35 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  

lol. If that happened, forget the Alliance. We would end up in the the first 20 team national mega conference and would spend literally months wading through millions of posts discussing what "pod" we should be in....
03-lmfao 03-lmfao Yep. That would be fun, too.
05-25-2012 09:38 PM
Advertisement

BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

(05-25-2012 09:36 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 09:30 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  Multiple articles have come out estimating 130-155+ contracts for the Big East, and one has mentioned a much lower number. Everybody freaks.

All this, based upon the idea that everything has changed in the BCS. Of course, this would be the same BCS that hasnt even decided what the post season plan will be, who will be included, or how the money is split.

That's exactly how I feel. This is FUN to follow. All the doomsday scenarios are ridiculous, for now. And even when all the newbies here think through worst case, it ain't all that bad, and could be really good.

I honestly think the ACC might lose 2 or 4, take 2 from the BE, and everybody keeps on trucking. And if we lose 4, the ones who want out the worst will be gone, anyway.

Agree... ridiculous to have an initial number range 2.5 times this latest "Source's" number with all the same programs listed. Bunch of misdirection.
05-25-2012 09:41 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

Brett McMurphy even suggested today that if the BE loses 2 of UL/UConn/RU to the ACC, then Boise and SDSU will leave, and the BE will be in big trouble, or even implode.

I started thinking about worst case scenarios, and concluded that the BE will survive, and even the worst case might not be so bad for all parties involved.

1. Let's say the ACC loses 2 teams. They could stand pat at 12. No harm, no foul to the BE.

2. Or the ACC loses 2, and they take 2 of UL/UConn/RU. That hurts BB, but not FB so much, b/c, as some media types have written this week, the BE has already lost all its national name FB teams.

The BE could add all 3 of BYU/AF/Fresno to get back to 14, and chug along in FB. On the BB side, they are hurt worse, but BB is only about 20-30% of the total TV contract.

The BB side might want to split, but they wouldn't have the votes to kick out the remaining FB teams. So they would likely have to leave the BE name behind and start a new conference with some A-10 teams. Not likely.

Or, they can stay put, and the BE can simply add the BB only teams that the BB side wants, that would also be good for our contract. Let's say Xavier and Butler, to start.

3. Now let's say the ACC loses 4 teams, maybe FSU and Clemson to the B12, and VT and NCSU to the SEC. The ACC could add two, and stay at 12, and the same scenario as #2 kicks in.

4. Or, perhaps worst case for the BE, let's say the ACC loses 4, and takes 4 BE teams from UL/UC/UConn/USF/RU. The BE still takes BYU/AF/Fresno and stays at 12 FB teams. On the BB side, now we add Xavier, Butler, VCU and one more, for example.

5. HOWEVER, if the ACC loses 4 teams, then others will start looking for the exits, just like in the BE. Only they will be looking for entry into the Big 4. The B12 could come back for Miami and Georgia Tech. The B10 might jump in to take some combo of UNC/Duke/UVA/MD/Pitt. Up to 4, perhaps.

So, if the ACC loses 4 teams, then 6 more could possibly leave. That would leave Wake, BC, 'Cuse and one more unlucky school. There likely aren't enough BE teams left that they would take to get back to 10 or 12.

Now, I'm not going to argue all these silly scenarios. Yeah, none of it might happen, or some of it, or different teams, or whatever.

The point is, if the ACC takes 2 BE teams, the BE will survive and move on. Less money in the contract perhaps, but otherwise okay. And even if the BE loses 4 teams, same deal. Hurts worse, but the BE would survive, and most of the original group would be gone, and the remaining schools would be pretty happy, still.

HOWEVER, IF the ACC loses 4 teams itself, then lots of other ACC schools could start bailing. I'm not saying they will, but they'll try, and I'm certainly not saying the BE will raid the ACC, but so many schools could leave the ACC, that it won't matter any more. Even IF they kept taking BE teams (unlikley), then most of the BE FB teams would be happy, Boise and SDSU would go home, and the Catholic schools would keep the BE name and take some A-10 schools.

I just don't buy into the theory that the ACC losing teams is going to automatically mean they will reload and destroy the BE. Yeah, anything is possible, but thinking through the scenarios makes it clear that the BE can, and will, survive.

Losing 2 is a dent. Losing 4 will hurt worse, but the ones left will still make more money than ever before, and the unhappy FB schools will be gone. Still have good FB and really good BB. Works for me.

And no, I'm not going to debate all this silliness. It's my idea. Go get your own. This is strictly for me, and for the other posters who want to look on the bright side.

Those of you who want to predict doom and gloom, just leave the conference and go where you're happy. If you can. 03-lmfao

And PLEASE, don't keep re-quoting this whole thing. Just pick out a line or two, or just refer to the OP.

This is a great post TripleA. I think we all have the same concerns/questions as you, IMHO, even if the BE loses 2 more to whom ever the Big East will be fine. And as attackfrog stated above, one mentioned a much lower number and everybody freaks. We just need to get FOOTBALL rolling in the NBig East and the hell with everyone else... Can't wait for 2013 - Go Big East 04-cheers
05-25-2012 10:09 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2012 10:09 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  This is a great post TripleA. I think we all have the same concerns/questions as you, IMHO, even if the BE loses 2 more to whom ever the Big East will be fine. And as attackfrog stated above, one mentioned a much lower number and everybody freaks. We just need to get FOOTBALL rolling in the NBig East and the hell with everyone else... Can't wait for 2013 - Go Big East 04-cheers
Agree, as long as we don't say the hell with the BB schools, too, lol. We still need them, and vice versa.
05-25-2012 10:18 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

Boise State will be as loyal to Houston and SMU as we are to SDSU...

WHY?

You're all "lynchpin" for us... and frankly, it costs LESS to fly to DFW & Houston and stay a night or two than San Diego.

We're looking forward, not backward...
05-25-2012 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.