ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Teel Article on Wood Selig and ODU's move up
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

I Root For: Old Dominion
Teel Article on Wood Selig and ODU's move up
Wood Selig talks about his previous experience moving up with WKU, what he's learned from that, future schedules for the transition years and beyond, and more. Teel actually wrote something good!

Remember, if you don't have a subscription, you'll get a popup asking you to log in. Right before the page finishes loading, click the "Stop" button which is most likely right next to your "Refresh" button in your browser. Programming fail.

http://www.dailypress.com/topic/dp-spt-t...picgallery
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 06:35 PM by Monarch_Pride.)
05-20-2012 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KevinMac Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ODU, ACC Bball
RE: Teel Article on Wood Selig and ODU's move up
I am glad you posted this because I meant to bring it up yesterday. WKU went 4-32 in their first 3 years because Wood over-scheduled and red-shirted too many players, and I think that is going to be beneficial for us. He had a trial run w/ WKU, so to speak, and now he knows what it takes to make the transition work.

I really think with Wood's experience and Wilder's recruiting ability, along with being in the 757, that we are going to get off to a much better start than most of our fellow C-USA fans are expecting. Obviously it will take a few years to stock the roster with FBS talent but I think we will be competitive very soon.
05-20-2012 06:53 PM
djnva Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
From that article:

Selig already has reached out to East Carolina, Navy (a natural for a Norfolk school), Virginia and Virginia Tech.
05-20-2012 09:10 PM
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

They also didn't have Taylor Heinecke.
05-21-2012 03:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarchs Offline
2nd String

I like how Selig is honest and admits the program's failure under his watch and has seemingly learned from what happened:

Quote:"We were playing (FBS) those first years with (FCS) talent," Selig said, "and we got our nose bloodied. I will definitely discourage high-volume redshirting. We have to go get kids who can help us right away."

For all of the discussions we had on the CAAZone about Selig, I've thusfar been really impressed with the way this C-USA thing has been handled. The insistence (by Broderick, but supported by Selig) to not raise student fees. The decision to NOT cut men's sports, and instead, add women's to keep up with add'tl football schollies (I know oduwildman was happy about that).

Really the general humility of Selig. There has been no grandstanding about how "ODU is a giant among men in this state" or "Tech and UVA ain't got nothin on Bobby Wilder".

I like the way he's set the stage for our move.

I'm excited.

Very.
05-21-2012 08:20 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(05-21-2012 08:20 AM)Monarchs Wrote:  I like how Selig is honest and admits the program's failure under his watch and has seemingly learned from what happened:

Quote:"We were playing (FBS) those first years with (FCS) talent," Selig said, "and we got our nose bloodied. I will definitely discourage high-volume redshirting. We have to go get kids who can help us right away."

For all of the discussions we had on the CAAZone about Selig, I've thusfar been really impressed with the way this C-USA thing has been handled. The insistence (by Broderick, but supported by Selig) to not raise student fees. The decision to NOT cut men's sports, and instead, add women's to keep up with add'tl football schollies (I know oduwildman was happy about that).

Really the general humility of Selig. There has been no grandstanding about how "ODU is a giant among men in this state" or "Tech and UVA ain't got nothin on Bobby Wilder".

I like the way he's set the stage for our move.

I'm excited.

Very.

I can't agree more.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
- Hemingway
05-21-2012 08:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.