Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chuck Shumer proposes bill to make it illegal to renounce US citizenship
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Chuck Shumer proposes bill to make it illegal to renounce US citizenship
God I hate Chuck Shumer. He is the Democrat Lindsey Graham.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/schumer-in...itizenship
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 05:35 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
05-20-2012 05:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Chuck Shumer proposes bill to make it illegal to renounce US citizenship
I dislike Schumer's politics and personality, but he is a hell of a lot smarter than Lindsey Graham.

It still surprises me that a state like S.C. with so many ambitious GOP politicians couldn't do any better than Graham when Thurmond retired.
05-20-2012 06:37 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(05-20-2012 05:32 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  God I hate Chuck Shumer. He is the Democrat Lindsey Graham.

Good for Chuck Shumer! 04-rock Of course I am not at all surprised that Zerohedge would hate this since many/most who read and write that are the greedy wealthy who have an interest in not paying taxes by renouncing citizenship but continue to use this country to make boatloads of cash. Screw them.
05-20-2012 07:14 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Robert, those people who "use this country to make boatloads of cash" are a major reason why we have an economy and you have a job. Do stuff like Schumer proposes and we will chase off those people, and with them that economy and those jobs.

This proposal really is something out of "How to Become Zimbabwe within Two Generations (or Less)." I find it astonishing that anyone could think this is a good idea. Then again the source is Chucky Schumer.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 07:35 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
05-20-2012 07:33 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Yet another good reason to install a consumption tax. 03-idea

When they finish the Southern border fence they need to have the razor wire facing inward.

Shumer is tool of the highest degree.
05-20-2012 08:52 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-20-2012 05:32 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  God I hate Chuck Shumer. He is the Democrat Lindsey Graham.

This is not a bill to prevent you from renouncing your citizenship it's a bill to prevent you from re entering if you do...
05-20-2012 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Abe Lincoln all over again.
05-20-2012 09:28 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(05-20-2012 07:33 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Robert, those people who "use this country to make boatloads of cash" are a major reason why we have an economy and you have a job. Do stuff like Schumer proposes and we will chase off those people, and with them that economy and those jobs.

This proposal really is something out of "How to Become Zimbabwe within Two Generations (or Less)." I find it astonishing that anyone could think this is a good idea. Then again the source is Chucky Schumer.
You are stupid.
05-20-2012 10:37 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Would Obama sign off on something like this?

And Shumer is insane, like most other libs.
05-20-2012 10:40 AM

(05-20-2012 09:13 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

This is not a bill to prevent you from renouncing your citizenship it's a bill to prevent you from re entering if you do...

You are being punished with restrictions not placed upon normal citizens for actions you committed that the government did not like. So ... replace jail or a fine with banishment. He's basically making it illegal.
05-20-2012 10:51 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2012 10:51 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

You are being punished with restrictions not placed upon normal citizens for actions you committed that the government did not like. So ... replace jail or a fine with banishment. He's basically making it illegal.

Exactly. I can't see how it'll hold up to Constitutional muster.
05-20-2012 10:52 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Great. If you are poor, come on in. If you are rich, get out and STAY out. Great policy. Wonder which policy will be enforced with more vigor... Patrolling our southern border or the first class gate at Singapore airlines?
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 10:58 AM by Hambone10.)
05-20-2012 10:52 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(05-20-2012 10:52 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

Great. If you are poor, come on in. If you are rich, get out and STAY out. Great policy.
A couple of things, it doesn't tell the rich to get outand what does it say on the statue of liberty? Give me all your rich and **** the poor?
05-20-2012 10:57 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(05-20-2012 10:57 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

Great. If you are poor, come on in. If you are rich, get out and STAY out. Great policy.
A couple of things, it doesn't tell the rich to get outand what does it say on the statue of liberty? Give me all your rich and **** the poor?
Two things You forget Robert, that the rich in question are already citizens. If they leave because they believe we place too much of a burden upon them, whom do you think will be forced to pick up their burden? Rather than punish them for trying to return, why don't we decrease the incentive for them to leave in the first place... And that the poor in question aren't coming in through legal channels. You are criminalizing legal behavior and decriminalizing illegal behavior. What a great idea. Lockup the legal and freeing the illegals.

I love people who argue that things won't happen as a result of government policies , and then when they do, they blame and criminalize those who do what the rest of us saw as a logical response rather than the moronic policy
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 11:22 AM by Hambone10.)
05-20-2012 11:11 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-20-2012 10:51 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

YoEu are being punished with restrictions not placed upon normal citizens for actions you committed that the government did not like. So ... replace jail or a fine with banishment. He's basically making it illegal.

Except that once you renounce your citizenship YOURE NOT A NORMAL CITIZEN!!!
05-20-2012 11:22 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-20-2012 11:11 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 10:57 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

Two things You forget Robert, that the rich in question are already citizens. If they leave because they believe we place too much of a burden upon them, whom do you think will be forced to pick up their burden? Rather than punish them for trying to return, why don't we decrease the incentive for them to leave in the first place... And that the poor in question aren't coming in through legal channels. You are criminalizing legal behavior and decriminalizing illegal behavior. What a great idea. Lockup the legal and freeing the illegals.

I love people who argue that things won't happen as a result of government policies , and then when they do, they blame and criminalize those who do what the rest of us saw as a logical response rather than the moronic policy

Ham here is the point. To run afoul of this law two things have happened... First you've already left and second you've renounced your citizenship.

Personally I agree that the taxes are out of hand, and the spending. But you you take off and renounce this nation then somewhat if we don't let you back in? Do you have a right to return one you're no longer an American?
05-20-2012 11:26 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

So a wealthy person who was a citizen, paid perhaps millions into our economy, decided not to be one, and now wants to come back is a criminal.... But someone from another country, who has never paid a dime into our economy or created a single job, ignores our laws and sneaks into this country... Sending most of the money they make to their family in another country... Usually working illegally and then having children that take from the system their parents have paid little if anything for are to be given amnesty for their illegal actions and need to be able to vote.

Why don't we consider why they left in the first place. Encouraging legal behavior rather than penalizing it.... Instead of encouraging illegal behavior and rewarding it.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 01:45 PM by Hambone10.)
05-20-2012 01:40 PM

(05-20-2012 11:22 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Except that once you renounce your citizenship YOURE NOT A NORMAL CITIZEN!!!

Okay, perhaps citizen was a poor choice of word. Replace citizen with "individual". It is punishing people with a restriction of their liberty for committing an act the government did not like. It is NO DIFFERENT philosophically from being jailed, fined, put on probation, etc.
05-20-2012 01:50 PM

(05-20-2012 11:26 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  But you you take off and renounce this nation then somewhat if we don't let you back in? Do you have a right to return one you're no longer an American?

Do you have the right to enter as a citizen of the UK or Australia or France or Germany or South Africa who has NEVER been a citizen? Answer: Yes*.

(* Unless you're a a terrorist or have a criminal history, etc, etc.)
05-20-2012 01:52 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(05-20-2012 01:50 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 11:22 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Except that once you renounce your citizenship YOURE NOT A NORMAL CITIZEN!!!

Okay, perhaps citizen was a poor choice of word. Replace citizen with "individual". It is punishing people with a restriction of their liberty for committing an act the government did not like. It is NO DIFFERENT philosophically from being jailed, fined, put on probation, etc.
His liberty? If he wants his damn liberty, don't renounce your damn citizenship. Besides, WTF? If you can't afford to pay $65 million in taxes on a billion+ dollars, then you are just a plain greedy a-hole. Of course, you as a Libertarian think greed is good and the rich don't have to pay taxes because it will just somehow trickle down so I guess I can understand why you think the way you do.
05-20-2012 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.