Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't be a fan of the band Bad Religion in my state
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Don't be a fan of the band Bad Religion in my state
No, that isn't an atheist sticker.... it is the logo of the band Bad Religion. But ignorance isn't something that will stop a fundamentalist Christian. It oozes with selective interpretation. Turn the other cheek? Nah. The Gold Rule? Nah. Unless of course you think this was a Muslim fundamentalist double agent......

[Image: IJA7C.jpg]
05-11-2012 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Don't be a fan of the band Bad Religion in my state
I once got pulled over and my car searched.

Evidently a 311 sticker is "probable cause."
05-11-2012 11:37 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I guess some folks just do not understand the principle of non aggression.03-banghead
05-12-2012 12:09 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-11-2012 08:59 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  No, that isn't an atheist sticker.... it is the logo of the band Bad Religion. But ignorance isn't something that will stop a fundamentalist Christian. It oozes with selective interpretation. Turn the other cheek? Nah. The Gold Rule? Nah. Unless of course you think this was a Muslim fundamentalist double agent......

Right on gt

Thank the big bang that athiest never ever jump to conclusions, deface property or generally act like dbags....
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 01:02 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
05-12-2012 01:01 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-12-2012 01:01 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 08:59 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  No, that isn't an atheist sticker.... it is the logo of the band Bad Religion. But ignorance isn't something that will stop a fundamentalist Christian. It oozes with selective interpretation. Turn the other cheek? Nah. The Gold Rule? Nah. Unless of course you think this was a Muslim fundamentalist double agent......

Right on gt

Thank the big bang that athiest never ever jump to conclusions, deface property or generally act like dbags....

Did you just play the "the other side of the argument does it, so it's okay" card?

I believe the Bible has some very specific words about THAT as well.
05-12-2012 04:29 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-12-2012 04:29 AM)Smaug Wrote:  

Right on gt

Did you just play the "the other side of the argument does it, so it's okay" card?

No I said the "it's hypocritical to point at one groups faults as if no other group has those faults". Nowhere did I say that's ok.... He took one incident and used it as a blanket statement against Christians.

In point of fact *if* there is a biblical argument here it could be the plank in the eye... Eg gt pointing out the speck in someone else's eye as if there is no plank in his groups..
05-12-2012 07:39 AM
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
I feel like he was talking about the specific Christian that defaced the car in question, and not Christianity in general.
05-12-2012 09:25 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Was there an arrest? Video surveillance? It could have just been a music critic.
05-12-2012 09:32 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
Is it just me or does that moon on the plate look more like a Muslim Crescent?
05-12-2012 10:13 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I agree with you here, GTS.

However, a little prudence/common sense was probably needed on the part of the car's owner (or was it your car?). Similar to walking through a bad neighborhood at 2 a.m. wearing flashy, expensive jewelry. I'm far from trying to 'blame the victim' here, but you assume risks. In this case, the risk is sporting a provocative sticker of a Christian cross with line through it -- especially in the heart of the bible belt. Obviously not many people will simply recognize it as a band's logo, but rather a sign of bigotry against an entire faith.

(And while I've heard of the band, what's with their logo anyhow? Do they have the cajones to design a sticker of a Koran with a line through it?)
05-12-2012 10:23 AM
GRPunk Offline
Beer Evangelist

(05-12-2012 10:23 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I agree with you here, GTS.

However, a little prudence/common sense was probably needed on the part of the car's owner (or was it your car?). Similar to walking through a bad neighborhood at 2 a.m. wearing flashy, expensive jewelry. I'm far from trying to 'blame the victim' here, but you assume risks. In this case, the risk is sporting a provocative sticker of a Christian cross with line through it -- especially in the heart of the bible belt. Obviously not many people will simply recognize it as a band's logo, but rather a sign of bigotry against an entire faith.

(And while I've heard of the band, what's with their logo anyhow? Do they have the cajones to design a sticker of a Koran with a line through it?)

Logo's been around for probably 30 years or more. Why would they need to change their branding?
05-12-2012 10:44 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I doubt it was a christian. It's way too ironic. Me thinks it was random teenagers.
05-12-2012 10:49 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(05-12-2012 10:49 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I doubt it was a christian. It's way too ironic. Me thinks it was random teenagers.
Me thinks it was a Christian teenager.
05-12-2012 11:00 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

This is such a slam dunk in the common sense department, it's a shame that any ideological loyalty lines would be drawn at all here.

Should the d-bag vandalizers, Christian or not, be punished? Of course. And I actually tend to agree more with Robert that it was probably a Christian who did this. But drive around the bible belt with a defaced Christian cross, you assume the risk. Drive around NYC with a defaced Star of David, you assume the risk. Drive around the east side of Dearborn, MI, with a defaced Islam crescent, you assume the risk.

Because it's a band's logo doesn't "lessen" the potential risk, as many people aren't familiar with the band or its logo (and even if they were to somehow associate it with the band, the logo is provocative enough where a liquored-up delinquent might decide to add his own retort).
05-12-2012 11:09 AM
niucob86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
If human behavior is determined by ones genes and environment, how can the "keyer" be held personally responsible for his actions?
05-12-2012 11:57 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-12-2012 11:09 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  This is such a slam dunk in the common sense department, it's a shame that any ideological loyalty lines would be drawn at all here.

Should the d-bag vandalizers, Christian or not, be punished? Of course. And I actually tend to agree more with Robert that it was probably a Christian who did this. But drive around the bible belt with a defaced Christian cross, you assume the risk. Drive around NYC with a defaced Star of David, you assume the risk. Drive around the east side of Dearborn, MI, with a defaced Islam crescent, you assume the risk.

Because it's a band's logo doesn't "lessen" the potential risk, as many people aren't familiar with the band or its logo (and even if they were to somehow associate it with the band, the logo is provocative enough where a liquored-up delinquent might decide to add his own retort).

I honestly doubt the average teenage, especially the younger variety, is really capable of being a true Christian.
05-12-2012 12:36 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Right on gt

I think he was pointing out that GTS's whining is fairly selective, and not at all applied equally.
05-12-2012 04:54 PM
GRPunk Offline
Beer Evangelist

(05-12-2012 04:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Right on gt

I think he was pointing out that GTS's whining is fairly selective, and not at all applied equally.

If ever there's been a "pot, meet kettle" statement...
05-12-2012 08:14 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-12-2012 08:14 PM)GRPunk Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 04:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Right on gt

If ever there's been a "pot, meet kettle" statement...

Really? Do elaborate.

I love how people make claims but can't back them up.
05-12-2012 08:49 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(05-12-2012 10:13 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  Is it just me or does that moon on the plate look more like a Muslim Crescent?

I noticed that too.
05-12-2012 10:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.