Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA Considering App St.
Bookmark and Share
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
C-USA Considering App St.
Saw this on twitter today and just figured I would share it.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/05/appal...rence-usa/
05-11-2012 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
RE: C-USA Considering App St.
Ehh....I'm happy in the ASUN. 05-stirthepot
05-11-2012 05:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

If we could just get an AD like App has. Or Austin Peay. Or Tenn Tech. Or.......
05-11-2012 07:34 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-11-2012 07:34 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  If we could just get an AD like App has. Or Austin Peay. Or Tenn Tech. Or.......

Oh you mean someone actually qualified for the job.
05-11-2012 07:45 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(05-11-2012 07:45 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 07:34 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  If we could just get an AD like App has. Or Austin Peay. Or Tenn Tech. Or.......

Why isn't Noland on a more aggressive track with this athletic department? This is one area that he could make some significant moves without the usual protocal followed for other areas of the university. How long is enough for him to wait before seizing control and getting his people in place? (Or, are is people already in place?) This business of forming committees, waiting for them to meet and do their thing, and finally receiving their recommendations is very time consuming and slow motion. Besides, he is in control under the structure of the TBR system. There's no board of trustees or visitors - he's the boss at ETSU. He states that he
sees athletics as an important front porch to the university, and that he dreams of
big time athletics for ETSU. So, take charge and establish yourself, Dr. Noland, starting with this $11 million a year athletic department.
05-12-2012 02:29 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-11-2012 04:07 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  Saw this on twitter today and just figured I would share it.

Of course App did not get an invite in the latest C-USA invitations recently, and it does not look like they're in the running for a foreseeable future invite because of their location.

The news here for Buc fans is in the letter from Charlie Cobb to the App faithful, specifically the "see chart" reference in the letter. He attempting to present App as actually in a top 100 tv market that includes the Tri-Cities. Take a look at the chart. For ETSU, what do you see there with reference to the relevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard? Of course we know that UT owns the Tri-Cities. But, App St now looking for a share of this market. Where are we now in our own market? Can all Buc fans say. --- DISGUSTING!
05-12-2012 05:23 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
ODU will accept an offer after June 1st. That way they will be eligible for the playoffs this year and be on the same timetable as Charlotte. If CUSA goes to 16 they will not go to Appy or JMU, they will go after MTSU and WKU. Me, I hope they stop at 14.

Appy is not as desirable as they like to think.
05-13-2012 12:43 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
(05-13-2012 12:43 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  ODU will accept an offer after June 1st. That way they will be eligible for the playoffs this year and be on the same timetable as Charlotte. If CUSA goes to 16 they will not go to Appy or JMU, they will go after MTSU and WKU. Me, I hope they stop at 14.

Appy is not as desirable as they like to think.

A friend with ties to MTSU is saying the same thing.
05-13-2012 07:36 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
(05-12-2012 02:29 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 07:45 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Why isn't Noland on a more aggressive track with this athletic department? This is one area that he could make some significant moves without the usual protocal followed for other areas of the university. How long is enough for him to wait before seizing control and getting his people in place? (Or, are is people already in place?) This business of forming committees, waiting for them to meet and do their thing, and finally receiving their recommendations is very time consuming and slow motion. Besides, he is in control under the structure of the TBR system. There's no board of trustees or visitors - he's the boss at ETSU. He states that he
sees athletics as an important front porch to the university, and that he dreams of
big time athletics for ETSU. So, take charge and establish yourself, Dr. Noland, starting with this $11 million a year athletic department.

Noland is President of the University as a whole, not President of the athletic program. And he's only been on the job 5 months. I realize how badly/quickly most of us want us making major moves but patience is a virtue.

Give the man some time.
05-14-2012 06:24 AM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(05-12-2012 05:23 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 04:07 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  Saw this on twitter today and just figured I would share it.

Of course App did not get an invite in the latest C-USA invitations recently, and it does not look like they're in the running for a foreseeable future invite because of their location.

The news here for Buc fans is in the letter from Charlie Cobb to the App faithful, specifically the "see chart" reference in the letter. He attempting to present App as actually in a top 100 tv market that includes the Tri-Cities. Take a look at the chart. For ETSU, what do you see there with reference to the relevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard? Of course we know that UT owns the Tri-Cities. But, App St now looking for a share of this market. Where are we now in our own market? Can all Buc fans say. --- DISGUSTING!

I don't think it has anything at all to do with the relevancy of ETSU in it's own market. That letter was about App. App is going to do whatever they can to look attractive and if adding the Tri-Cities into their proposal as part of their market will help them, they'll do it. The inclusion of the Tri Cities is merely a matter of geography, not any kind of ownership of the sports fans in the Tri Cities.
05-14-2012 12:44 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

05-14-2012 01:13 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

Go, what's your take then on the relevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard anyway? Of course the letter had nothing to do with ETSU, and it should not have. However, I would venture to guess that Charlie Cobb sees the irrelevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard minus football since these conference moves are being driven by that sport. And, it does draw the attention of anyone interested in ETSU athletics because ETSU athletics is vulnerable to such an invasion since it has no answer for the fall college athletic market. Thus, ETSU athletics is IRRELEVANT in this discussion.
05-14-2012 02:16 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(05-14-2012 02:16 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Go, what's your take then on the relevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard anyway? Of course the letter had nothing to do with ETSU, and it should not have. However, I would venture to guess that Charlie Cobb sees the irrelevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard minus football since these conference moves are being driven by that sport. And, it does draw the attention of anyone interested in ETSU athletics because ETSU athletics is vulnerable to such an invasion since it has no answer for the fall college athletic market. Thus, ETSU athletics is IRRELEVANT in this discussion.

I haven't been around ETSU athletics for 10+ years like a lot of people on this board, but the impression I've gathered is outside of the Mister years, ETSU athletics has never been a central part of the Johnson City/Tri Cities area. I don't think the presence of football energized the community in the past. I'm not saying it couldn't if it was successful, but ETSU has never held that place of prominence. My personal guess is that App wasn't threatened by ETSU when we had football, because we weren't very good at it. If we still had football and we weren't more competitive than in the past, I think App St would have a similar view of the relevancy of ETSU to them as they do now.

Also, there are two distinct types of conference realignment. Most is due to football, but then there are those like Butler and VCU that are making moves because they don't have football. I think it's a more significant gamble to make decisions based on football, but with the potential for a higher gain. The push to be more competitive in football is very, very expensive. If the team is successful, it pays off handsomely. However, I wouldn't want to be like all the MAC schools that are currently being creative with their ticket sales "numbers" out of desperation as they try to maintain their FBS eligibility.
05-14-2012 05:16 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Planet Earth calling. The experiment of killing ETSU's football program did not work. We did not go to the "next level". Basketball or baseball did not go to the next level. Maybe the AD thinks spending most of the money on the minor sports is the next level but we do not. FCS is played by ALL of ETSU's peer institutions in Tennessee and not having it is keeping everything down that counts.
05-14-2012 06:02 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

(05-14-2012 05:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  
(05-14-2012 02:16 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Go, what's your take then on the relevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard anyway? Of course the letter had nothing to do with ETSU, and it should not have. However, I would venture to guess that Charlie Cobb sees the irrelevancy of ETSU athletics in its own back yard minus football since these conference moves are being driven by that sport. And, it does draw the attention of anyone interested in ETSU athletics because ETSU athletics is vulnerable to such an invasion since it has no answer for the fall college athletic market. Thus, ETSU athletics is IRRELEVANT in this discussion.

I haven't been around ETSU athletics for 10+ years like a lot of people on this board, but the impression I've gathered is outside of the Mister years, ETSU athletics has never been a central part of the Johnson City/Tri Cities area. I don't think the presence of football energized the community in the past. I'm not saying it couldn't if it was successful, but ETSU has never held that place of prominence. My personal guess is that App wasn't threatened by ETSU when we had football, because we weren't very good at it. If we still had football and we weren't more competitive than in the past, I think App St would have a similar view of the relevancy of ETSU to them as they do now.

Also, there are two distinct types of conference realignment. Most is due to football, but then there are those like Butler and VCU that are making moves because they don't have football. I think it's a more significant gamble to make decisions based on football, but with the potential for a higher gain. The push to be more competitive in football is very, very expensive. If the team is successful, it pays off handsomely. However, I wouldn't want to be like all the MAC schools that are currently being creative with their ticket sales "numbers" out of desperation as they try to maintain their FBS eligibility.

I completely agree that some of our fans (including myself) are delusional at time of their expectations. In fact, our "glory days" were a very short time which we fell back to typical mid majors. That historical perspective is important. But so are dreams- every fan needs some sort of hope that things will get better eventually.
05-14-2012 06:49 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-14-2012 06:49 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  
(05-14-2012 05:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

I completely agree that some of our fans (including myself) are delusional at time of their expectations. In fact, our "glory days" were a very short time which we fell back to typical mid majors. That historical perspective is important. But so are dreams- every fan needs some sort of hope that things will get better eventually.

There's no justification for an $11 million a year program that is so irrelevant. That means that these funds, mostly from students, are grossly wasted for the pleasure of those spending them. Yea, my expectations are much, much higher for this price tag. Hope, that's in short supply because there's no vision or plan to make ETSU athletics more relevant except for some rearranging of the chairs in the Dome -- ah, but we're waiting on Dr. Noland to seize control of this thing and turn this crap around. And, I reminded to be patient. Be patient and eventually........................
05-15-2012 07:32 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Dr. Noland's immediate job should be to get the school back to where it was in 2003. Embarrassing yes but we have to get our spot back in the Southern and get the marching band back on campus and get our FCS football team back and become a full member of the Tennessee state university system again. Then we can start building and playing catch up from that point. We must get the spotlight back on the front porch of the University and stop spending all the money on minor sports and bragging about tennis, tiddlywinks, soccer and ping pong and thinking that represents an athletic program. It cannot start soon enough.
05-15-2012 09:20 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-15-2012 09:20 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Dr. Noland's immediate job should be to get the school back to where it was in 2003. Embarrassing yes but we have to get our spot back in the Southern and get the marching band back on campus and get our FCS football team back and become a full member of the Tennessee state university system again. Then we can start building and playing catch up from that point. We must get the spotlight back on the front porch of the University and stop spending all the money on minor sports and bragging about tennis, tiddlywinks, soccer and ping pong and thinking that represents an athletic program. It cannot start soon enough.

Absolutely! But, he has yet to state that he has the same view. He has not said that he would like to see the return of football. Nor, has he said that ETSU needs football to build this athletic department. At best he's hedging. I do not see anything from what he has said so far to indicate that ETSU will have football on his watch. In fact, he's passing the buck to this yet another task force to look at ETSU athletics, including football - NOT football as the central building block, just football along with whatever. I'm not at all impressed, encouraged, or see much hope.
05-15-2012 09:49 AM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2012 09:20 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Dr. Noland's immediate job should be to get the school back to where it was in 2003. Embarrassing yes but we have to get our spot back in the Southern and get the marching band back on campus and get our FCS football team back and become a full member of the Tennessee state university system again. Then we can start building and playing catch up from that point. We must get the spotlight back on the front porch of the University and stop spending all the money on minor sports and bragging about tennis, tiddlywinks, soccer and ping pong and thinking that represents an athletic program. It cannot start soon enough.

See this is where I see an issue with the hardcore football posters on this board. What do you think ETSU was in 2003? The mere presence of football did not alter the perception of ETSU. Posters on this board talk about how we need to be like schools like Austin Peay. Seriously? Austin Peay? With their shoestring budget and lack of relevance in most sports. They've had some decent basketball teams and baseball is okay, but beyond that what's to envy?

For me, who cares if ETSU simply adds a football team and doesn't win. No one in the region and definitely not the county are going to be impressed because there are football games being played. If ETSU adds football and loses every year, it will just be a joke. Who wants to be the joke? There are mentions of $11 million budgets as if there are gold covered toilets in the Dome. $11 million is pretty much only above the SWAC and MEAC and in the bottom tier of Division I athletics. $11 million is not blowing anybody away. People on here throw out crazy ideas like Conference USA. We'd need a $20 million budget to be successful. Leagues like the A10, the schools at the bottom have around $15 million budgets. $11 million with football gets you a program in a low-major conference that has very little impact on any kind of significant level.

I'm sticking with my opinion of football - if ETSU is going to add it, it needs to be done right and with additional funds. Yes, there are programs with similar budgets to ETSU with football - they don't generally win or matter in any sport. What kind of vision is that? If ETSU is going to add football, they need to add it with the goal of upward mobility (and I don't mean the Big South, OVC, or SoCon). That means thinking bigger than the Tennessee peer institutions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to be mad at Dave Mullins and the administration, start with the lack of fundraising efforts, not the lack of football. We need more money to be at a higher level and that's Dave and JoAnn Paty's job and they're simply not getting it done. It should start with a basketball arena and demanding more out of the basketball program. It's the flagship sport right now and it's nothing great. It should be. They need to build an arena and increase funding and then increase the expectations.

I'm all for adding football, but only in a way that will enhance the dept. and school. Just having a low funded team by bankrupting all the other sports simply will not do that (it didn't before). So add football, but in a way that can take ETSU to higher places and not just back to a mediocre existence in the SoCon with an empty Dome watching the football team get beat.
05-15-2012 10:24 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(05-15-2012 10:24 AM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

See this is where I see an issue with the hardcore football posters on this board. What do you think ETSU was in 2003? The mere presence of football did not alter the perception of ETSU. Posters on this board talk about how we need to be like schools like Austin Peay. Seriously? Austin Peay? With their shoestring budget and lack of relevance in most sports. They've had some decent basketball teams and baseball is okay, but beyond that what's to envy?

For me, who cares if ETSU simply adds a football team and doesn't win. No one in the region and definitely not the county are going to be impressed because there are football games being played. If ETSU adds football and loses every year, it will just be a joke. Who wants to be the joke? There are mentions of $11 million budgets as if there are gold covered toilets in the Dome. $11 million is pretty much only above the SWAC and MEAC and in the bottom tier of Division I athletics. $11 million is not blowing anybody away. People on here throw out crazy ideas like Conference USA. We'd need a $20 million budget to be successful. Leagues like the A10, the schools at the bottom have around $15 million budgets. $11 million with football gets you a program in a low-major conference that has very little impact on any kind of significant level.

I'm sticking with my opinion of football - if ETSU is going to add it, it needs to be done right and with additional funds. Yes, there are programs with similar budgets to ETSU with football - they don't generally win or matter in any sport. What kind of vision is that? If ETSU is going to add football, they need to add it with the goal of upward mobility (and I don't mean the Big South, OVC, or SoCon). That means thinking bigger than the Tennessee peer institutions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to be mad at Dave Mullins and the administration, start with the lack of fundraising efforts, not the lack of football. We need more money to be at a higher level and that's Dave and JoAnn Paty's job and they're simply not getting it done. It should start with a basketball arena and demanding more out of the basketball program. It's the flagship sport right now and it's nothing great. It should be. They need to build an arena and increase funding and then increase the expectations.

I'm all for adding football, but only in a way that will enhance the dept. and school. Just having a low funded team by bankrupting all the other sports simply will not do that (it didn't before). So add football, but in a way that can take ETSU to higher places and not just back to a mediocre existence in the SoCon with an empty Dome watching the football team get beat.

Sadly, this is how we got poetry slams for Homecoming at ETSU. Before we can win, we must get the program back. Then we can worry about winning. Get it first then make it a goal(additional fund raising) to win. When you do not win then make changes to win. That is the way other schools do it. And yes we are far, far behind our (used to be) peer schools like Austin Peay. Embarrassingly. We have to get BACK to that point and start building from there. Tennis, ping pong and soccer just will not get it done.
05-15-2012 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.