Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next big question for Big 12? Expansion
Bookmark and Share
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Next big question for Big 12? Expansion
excerpt:

"There needs to be carefully formulated strategic initiatives to get to a predetermined point,'' he said, sounding very much like a guy whose recent past was spent at Stanford. "There isn't anything magical about getting to 11 or getting to 12 to have a playoff. I think we've made commitments in a number of ways to demonstrate our stability - the nine-game football schedule and the round-robin basketball and the grant of rights and all of those things.''

There is also the national landscape to consider. The SEC and ACC are or soon will be at 14 schools each, the Big Ten and Pac-12 at 12. Even Conference USA and the Big East are at what, 36 or so now?

What those conferences do will have little impact on where the Big 12 eventually settles, but from a national perspective there is also the new BCS to consider. While no one is quite sure how that will shake out, the Big 12 is at least in a position now that it can sit back and take a look at what happens before making a move on expansion.

"I think we have the advantage of looking at what comes of the BCS process in the coming weeks and months, and that certainly is going to be informative to us as to how we move forward,'' Bowlsby said. "But we will always have to be disciplined to make sure that whatever we do relative to expansion - and certainly every other business decision we make - that there's a specific reason and a specific point of opportunity for us with each move.

"I don't think simply the attainment of a number makes any sense for us. We have to add institutions, if we ever do, that are going to specifically fortify and make the sum of the parts exceed the whole.''

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/2012...uild=cache
05-10-2012 11:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
RE: Next big question for Big 12? Expansion
(05-10-2012 11:58 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  excerpt:

"There needs to be carefully formulated strategic initiatives to get to a predetermined point,'' he said, sounding very much like a guy whose recent past was spent at Stanford. "There isn't anything magical about getting to 11 or getting to 12 to have a playoff. I think we've made commitments in a number of ways to demonstrate our stability - the nine-game football schedule and the round-robin basketball and the grant of rights and all of those things.''

There is also the national landscape to consider. The SEC and ACC are or soon will be at 14 schools each, the Big Ten and Pac-12 at 12. Even Conference USA and the Big East are at what, 36 or so now?

What those conferences do will have little impact on where the Big 12 eventually settles, but from a national perspective there is also the new BCS to consider. While no one is quite sure how that will shake out, the Big 12 is at least in a position now that it can sit back and take a look at what happens before making a move on expansion.

"I think we have the advantage of looking at what comes of the BCS process in the coming weeks and months, and that certainly is going to be informative to us as to how we move forward,'' Bowlsby said. "But we will always have to be disciplined to make sure that whatever we do relative to expansion - and certainly every other business decision we make - that there's a specific reason and a specific point of opportunity for us with each move.

"I don't think simply the attainment of a number makes any sense for us. We have to add institutions, if we ever do, that are going to specifically fortify and make the sum of the parts exceed the whole.''

Most people would want the whole to exceed the sum of the parts. I guess he wants the B12 to have less value than the members by themselves.

So is this a hint that he wants programs that aren't worth much?
05-11-2012 12:50 AM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip...
05-11-2012 06:15 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(05-11-2012 12:50 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 11:58 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  excerpt:

"I don't think simply the attainment of a number makes any sense for us We have to add institutions, if we ever do, that are going to specifically fortify and make the sum of the parts exceed the whole.''

Most people would want the whole to exceed the sum of the parts. I guess he wants the B12 to have less value than the members by themselves.

So is this a hint that he wants programs that aren't worth much?

Come on now 4x4 are you sniping? I know where you stand and I completely understand but it really seems like you are purposefully being obtuse when the answer to your "question" is the sentence just before the one you boldened. You know that question of yours makes no sense, I really do not believe that you truly believe that.

The point of what he is saying is that he wants programs that simply fit well. He just left Stanford, they probably want him talking over all of our heads, or atleast trying to.
05-11-2012 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.