Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We should invite APP ST like yesterday!!! maybe NMSU and ODU
Bookmark and Share
Trackbobcat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TXST!!!!!!!!!!!
We should invite APP ST like yesterday!!! maybe NMSU and ODU
Why don't we just invite NMSU as an all sports member and App as a Football-only member Or the other way around? Benson has said they are looking at possibly adding football-only member(s) AND/OR non-football member(s) and want a 12 team format for all sports with geographically feasible divisions. THE BIG PROBLEM is (and no offense to this school): Arkansas-Little Rock not playing football. The SBC currently has 11 members total with 10 of those schools playing football. We'd need to add one all sports member AND one football-only member to get to an even 12/12 teams for football and olympic sports as well. Right now we are at 10 football and 11 olympic sports members and it would make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to add another non-football playing school (No offense to you either UTA but the reason you guys haven't been accepted yet is because y'all don't play football). And if NMSU is excluded for being outside of the Sun Belt footprint, try to bring in ODU again for all sports. This move would help Sun Belt basketball a lot and would be pending their acceptance, or denial, by CUSA. Concurrently, you would add APP ST as a football-only member. However, if APP opts to turn their noses up at a football-only invitation, offer them a spot as an all sports member. In theory, you could then add UTA as a non-football playing member along to balance out Ark. Little Rock. I would love to see something like this but probably won't happen bc Mr. Peanut wants 12 and 12 only!!!!! lol --->:

*Prospective expansion teams highlighted in Red*
*italicized words represent that it's a non-football school *
All sports teams unless otherwise noted

West Division: 6 FB / 6 Olympics Sports

1. TXST
2. ULL
3. ULM
4. ARK ST
5. NMSU
6a. USA (Football-only)
6b. UALR (Olympic Sports)

East Division: 6 FB / 6 Olympic Sports

1. TROY
2. WKU
3. GA ST
4. FAU
5a. MTSU (May be going to CUSA) / ODU
6a. USA (Olympics Sports)
6b. APP ST (football-only)

*** ODU Should definitely get some consideration if not added to CUSA OR if the MTSU rumors to CUSA turn out to be true. Not over APP ST but they should get a serious evaluation. ODU would be a competitive replacement for MTSU and while not technically within the SBC's geographic footprint, is still extremely close to being within it; ESPECIALLY if we add APP ST!!!!! ***

Now that's an even 12/12 format that work out for both football and Olympics sports Karl!!!! Take some notes, IT.. CAN .. BE.. DONE!!! But below the next paragraph is most likely what will happen since Karl wants only 12 for even divisional play while "staying within the Sun Belt's current geographic footprint."

***I know you might be asking,"Why should App get a football-only invite and NMSU gets an all-sports invite???" B/C APP ST's football team and staff is darn good but the rest of their sports won't contribute MUCH (not saying they won't be somewhat competitive) to Olympic sports in the Sun Belt. App St does have good men's baseball and women's basketball teams that are on the rise however, they also, similar enough to recent the recent addition of TXST (hate to admit that our basketball SUCKS!!! 03-banghead), lack even a respectably competitive men's basketball program. In contrast, NMSU has demonstrated a competitive consistency in basketball whereas watching a NMSU football game seems to be compared, by their peers, as almost like being put on punishment. And Lastly, NMSU could fit into the SBC geographically. Though they would be the Sun Belt's western-division-version ( <---- IDK how that phrase came about lol 01-wingedeagle) of FAU as far as location in relation to their closest (prospective) conference/division members is concerned. They would both be separated a pretty significant distance from the close cluster of everyone else in their divisions. I feel that NMSU is not that far from TXST and is basically right next UTEP from CUSA. And unless I am mistaken, the SBC and CUSA have ALMOST an indentical geographic footprint and have either contacted or have been contacted by some of the same schools in regards to joining their respective conferences (APP ST, UNCC, ODU, UTSA, etc). If Texas would have had a couple of thousand additional soldiers during The Battle at the Alamo, heck, New Mexico JUST MIGHT BE part of Texas lol. On to my personal observation of NMSU fans; We recently hosted a track meet here in San Marcos and there a ton of NMSU families and friends that made the seemingly long trip here in support of their athletes. If they are willing to travel like this for a simple track meet then I think they will travel well for other sports also, especially football. I would also bet my chips on it that NMSU would turn out (over a couple of years) to be more of a good addition to the Sun Belt than a really bad one but right now people just can't see the positives in this school.*****

Below are prospective divisional setups that the SBC could consider. If MTSU decides to stay put in the good ole' SBC then we could follow this expansion idea:

* (Prospective expansion teams highlighted in Red) *
* UALR is italicized to represent that it's a non-football school *

MOST LIKELY

West Division: 6 FB / 6 Olympics Sports

1. TXST
2. ULL
3. ULM
4. ARK ST
5. USA
6a. NMSU (football-only)
6b. UALR (Olympic Sports only)

******(football-only invite due to the "expensive" travel costs associated; which I do not believe to be much of a problem. And solves the UALR odd-man-out, non-football issue.)

East Division: 6 FB / 6 Olympic Sports
1. WKU
2. GA ST
3. MTSU
4. FAU
5. TROY
6. APP ST

*** IF MTSU does indeed go to CUSA, this likely could happen (Long Shot):

West Division: 6 FB / 6 Oly

NMSU (Football-only) THE REASONS WHY!!! ---> Football-only membership could be issued as a life-line for their football program. At this point, we shouldn't worry about the conference membership difference being between 12 or 13 overall Olympics sports only members.

1a. NMSU (Football-only)
1b. UALR (non-football)
2. TXST
3. ULL
4. ULM
5. ARK ST
6. USA

East Division: 6 FB / 6 Oly

APP ST. (All sports member) Provides the SBC with a perennial FCS playoff contender and nationally-ranked football program. They are also within the SBC geographic footprint.
AND
ODU (All sports member) Could help elevate the prestige of the SBC's basketball brand. ODU also offers a proven, highly competitive, and dominant FCS football team.

1. APP ST.
2. ODU
3. GA ST
4. FAU
5. TROY
6. WKU

*Sidenote: The Sun Belt could always bring in UTA if they wanted to.*

Last thought on Positives of Getting to 12 Football Schools (Rankings, Bowl Games, Television Negotiations):

Some sort of combination of these Universities' athletic programs will help propel this conference to a future filled with an exciting (and lucrative) SBC football championship game every season. A Sun Belt championship game could eventually help the conference championship teams improve their standings during the end of the season BCS rankings. This has an impact on what bowl games our eligible members will be selected to. The SBC currently has 2 bowl tie-ins along with a couple of at-large opportunities that, with the a addition of a Sun Belt conference championship game, helps us put more our eligible teams into bowl games. The 12-team football format also gives the SBC an available time slot on television to play a meaningful game on a night when there aren't countless college football games on at once. This very well could be something to help the SBC's case when it goes to renegotiate it's TV rights with ESPN. Not to mention, we would have (from a competition viewpoint) an upgraded basketball conference with an exciting Conference Championship tourney.) What are we waiting on? 03-zzz
05-07-2012 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: We should invite APP ST like yesterday!!! maybe NMSU and ODU
Welcome to the boards? Nice thread? 03-wink
05-07-2012 07:56 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-07-2012 07:56 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  Welcome to the boards? Nice thread? 03-wink

I do not believe that the SOCON would allow AppSt to stay as a member of the conference if there football team left.
05-07-2012 08:01 PM
GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(05-07-2012 07:56 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  Welcome to the boards? Nice thread? 03-wink

Would have been better if he had some graphs or pie charts
05-07-2012 08:14 PM
Trackbobcat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TXST!!!!!!!!!!!
(05-07-2012 08:01 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

I do not believe that the SOCON would allow AppSt to stay as a member of the conference if there football team left.

You do have a point there, which is why I think they will almost definitely receive an all-sports invite.
05-07-2012 08:28 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-07-2012 08:28 PM)Trackbobcat Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 08:01 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

You do have a point there, which is why I think they will almost definitely receive an all-sports invite.

Sorry I missed the bottom part of your post listed under most likely.03-banghead
05-07-2012 08:52 PM
Advertisement

tw_fatcat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Texas State
I don't understand the part after "Why don't we just invite NMSU as an all sports member and App as a Football-only member". Could you explain everything that came after that?
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 09:04 PM by tw_fatcat.)
05-07-2012 09:04 PM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Tl;dr
05-07-2012 09:07 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I went to sleep reading that post.........twice. Then had a huge headache.
05-07-2012 10:17 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
(05-07-2012 08:14 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Would have been better if he had some graphs or pie charts

I agree, the lack thereof makes me one sad panda.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 10:21 PM by Burn the Horse.)
05-07-2012 10:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(05-07-2012 08:14 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

You want some infographs or maybe some metric analysis?
05-07-2012 10:48 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-07-2012 10:48 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 08:14 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

You want some infographs or maybe some metric analysis?

Heiro and petro-glyphs would do nicely.
05-07-2012 11:02 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
You might want to cross off ODU. If they turn down CUSA, it would be because of costs. In your plan, the Sun Belt would have a near identical footprint to CUSA, but likely with less payout. You also have to contend with a lesser pedigree in academics, football, and especially basketball.
05-08-2012 12:02 AM
TopperTorpedo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
So what's the delay on adding Appy State? I get the impression that Ga So isn't exactly ready for prime time as far as making a move to FBS. Is that wrong? Their board of regents haven't approved it or something?
05-08-2012 12:21 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
USA is a charter member and a recent member of the football league. What's up with inviting them for football only. We're a full-fledged member of the SBC.
05-08-2012 07:59 AM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(05-08-2012 12:21 AM)TopperTorpedo Wrote:  So what's the delay on adding Appy State? I get the impression that Ga So isn't exactly ready for prime time as far as making a move to FBS. Is that wrong? Their board of regents haven't approved it or something?

Southern is not as ready as App is, but there are two years for them to transition. I dont think the "not ready" issue is as big as you might think. It took a year an a half for App to come up with the 7 story 120,000 sq ft tower and to start on it, and a year to complete it. Their main need is just seating, which shouldnt be nearly as expensive, nor take long to construct.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 09:19 AM by Glassonion.)
05-08-2012 08:13 AM
Advertisement

StillGotIt Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-08-2012 07:59 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  USA is a charter member and a recent member of the football league. What's up with inviting them for football only. We're a full-fledged member of the SBC.

It appears that in the first scenario USA would be "football only" in the west, while the olympic sports would be in the East. However without proper graphical representation this is pure speculation on my part. More analysis needed.
05-08-2012 09:15 AM
97App Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Appalachian St
(05-08-2012 12:02 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  You might want to cross off ODU. If they turn down CUSA, it would be because of costs. In your plan, the Sun Belt would have a near identical footprint to CUSA, but likely with less payout. You also have to contend with a lesser pedigree in academics, football, and especially basketball.

I'd also add that ODU has strong ties with George Mason, VCU and JMU. IMO that's also adding to the hesitance of immediately jumping to CUSA. I wonder if the CAA is trying to put something on the table that could hold them all together (an attempt to move the CAA from FCS to FBS?). In the end I see ODU in CUSA.
05-08-2012 11:28 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(05-08-2012 11:28 AM)97App Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 12:02 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  You might want to cross off ODU. If they turn down CUSA, it would be because of costs. In your plan, the Sun Belt would have a near identical footprint to CUSA, but likely with less payout. You also have to contend with a lesser pedigree in academics, football, and especially basketball.

I'd also add that ODU has strong ties with George Mason, VCU and JMU. IMO that's also adding to the hesitance of immediately jumping to CUSA. I wonder if the CAA is trying to put something on the table that could hold them all together (an attempt to move the CAA from FCS to FBS?). In the end I see ODU in CUSA.

The CAA can't go FBS - too many of its members have no interest/ability.
05-08-2012 12:25 PM
97App Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Appalachian St
(05-08-2012 12:25 PM)Panthersville Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 11:28 AM)97App Wrote:  

The CAA can't go FBS - too many of its members have no interest/ability.

That's why I believe ODU will end up in CUSA. I think there will be conversations within the CAA but in the end not enough will buy in.
05-08-2012 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.