Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Background on WVU chosen over Louisville?
frankielou1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Background on WVU chosen over Louisville?
I have been following expansion very closely but never could find out the full story on the confusion the Big 12 seemed to face right before WVU was chosen as the 10th member of the Big 12. As you might remember, there was a last minute cancellation of a Big 12 press announcement by WVU and Louisville was said to have secured the 10th spot. Does anyone have the background on what actually occured and why there was so much confusion between who was chosen at the time for the 10th spot?

You would think this would have been agreed upon by the entire conference but there were reports that some teams favored Louisville while others favored WVU. What exactly occured between when the decision was made initially and the confusion that followed in the following days before WVU was finalized?
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 10:42 PM by frankielou1.)
05-04-2012 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Background on WVU chosen over Louisville?
There was some confusion, which carried over to the floor of the House of Representatives in Washington, D.C. Mitch McConnell tried to intervene on Louisville's behalf, and Joe Manchin put the spotlight on him...
05-05-2012 07:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
WVU agreed to join for 2012, and Louisville wouldn't. End of story.
05-05-2012 08:25 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
It has been reported that the television network partners advised the league on the schools that would be valuable and WVU was a very valuable property to add.
05-05-2012 09:22 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-05-2012 09:22 AM)buckaineer Wrote:  It has been reported that the television network partners advised the league on the schools that would be valuable and WVU was a very valuable property to add.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell
05-05-2012 10:17 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(05-05-2012 08:25 AM)General Mike Wrote:  WVU agreed to join for 2012, and Louisville wouldn't. End of story.

lol no. If that was the case then why was their Senator trying to still get them in at the last minute, either as number 10 or trying to get the big 12 to take us both.

The 100% truth of the matter is that the TV partners preferred WVU over UL. Thats it. Anything else anyone says is just some kind of butthurt. Barry Trammel even confirmed that was the reason why.
05-05-2012 10:24 AM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Everyone is going to have a different tale so to say into why this team went and this team didn't, BUT one thing everyone agrees on is that TV took over and made the decision on behave of WVU over Louisville. Now did Mitch McConnell talk to reps of the Big12 on Louisville's behave you damn straight he did, but the time line that he did was way over exaggerated for he talked to the president of OU Boren who use to be a Senator in August not late September when the decision was fouled all of a sudden. This is when TV stepped in IMO to let the Big12 know that WVU would be a better draw than Louisville in football, and I don't think it hurt WVU part in accepting that they would do what ever to exit the Big East in order to join the Big12. So you can have several different theorys, but the only reason WVU is there now is because TV thinks they are deserving bottom line for a majority of presidents apparently thought other wise on the decision.
05-05-2012 11:01 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Mitch and Joe are still at odds in Congress, BOC, which is a pity, because they actually have a lot of stances in common...
05-05-2012 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-05-2012 11:43 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Mitch and Joe are still at odds in Congress, BOC, which is a pity, because they actually have a lot of stances in common...

The WV Senators are clowns. McConnell didn't do anything different than they did as numerous reports said. All 3 lobbied all along for their schools. Reports that didn't come from WV or KY said the delay was due to Missouri's exit timing and really had nothing to do with WV/UL or McConnell. And everything I have seen said Fox/ESPN said WVU was more valuable which was what drove the decision.
05-05-2012 01:36 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-05-2012 01:36 PM)bullet Wrote:  The WV Senators are clowns.

FIFY
05-05-2012 01:37 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(05-05-2012 01:37 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
FIFY
All politicians are clowns would be more appropriate...
05-05-2012 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(05-05-2012 08:25 AM)General Mike Wrote:  WVU agreed to join for 2012, and Louisville wouldn't. End of story.

This. Sorry if it offends, but simply cannot be denied. Everyone knows that the B12 put themselves in a jam. They did not have appropriate exit contracts, and schools left. They were not going to have enough schools to meet their 2012 TV contract. They were desperate. They told WV they could join IF they were available in 2012. (It's extremely believable they told Lv the same thing).

Everybody knows what went down with WV and OL being willing to violate, and even being so over the top as to file that inane lawsuit... no need to rehash all that.

What is noteworthy is that if asked LV said no, and that when the BE ended up in a similar jam (thanks to WV) and asked other schools if it was possible they join early (Memphis, Boise, Houston), they all said NO. All these schools had some sense of class and loyalty to their former conference, and wanted to play by the rules. Luckily the BE found a great candidate in Temple who could, legally/appropriately, be available in 2012.

Even Pitt and Cuse declined to violate their BE exit deals and depart to the ACC for 2012. In response, I'm happy it appears the BE will indeed agree to let Pitt and Cuse out a year early.

All these schools that stuck to their agreements deserve tremendous respect for displaying class and integrity. I'm glad WV was only one rogue bad example, not the start of a trend. Luckily, it did work out great for everyone.
05-05-2012 01:42 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(05-05-2012 01:42 PM)Bull Wrote:  

This. Sorry if it offends, but simply cannot be denied. Everyone knows that the B12 put themselves in a jam. They did not have appropriate exit contracts, and schools left. They were not going to have enough schools to meet their 2012 TV contract. They were desperate. They told WV they could join IF they were available in 2012. (It's extremely believable they told Lv the same thing).

Everybody knows what went down with WV and OL being willing to violate, and even being so over the top as to file that inane lawsuit... no need to rehash all that.

What is noteworthy is that if asked LV said no, and that when the BE ended up in a similar jam (thanks to WV) and asked other schools if it was possible they join early (Memphis, Boise, Houston), they all said NO. All these schools had some sense of class and loyalty to their former conference, and wanted to play by the rules. Luckily the BE found a great candidate in Temple who could, legally/appropriately, be available in 2012.

Even Pitt and Cuse declined to violate their BE exit deals and depart to the ACC for 2012. In response, I'm happy it appears the BE will indeed agree to let Pitt and Cuse out a year early.

All these schools that stuck to their agreements deserve tremendous respect for displaying class and integrity. I'm glad WV was only one rogue bad example, not the start of a trend. Luckily, it did work out great for everyone.

Please explain to me why McConnell was still trying to get UL in at the last minute if UL was not willing to leave at the same time WVU was? We have mainstream media people saying TV was the reason we got in, even UofL apologist Barry Trammel admits this. Most UL fans accept that, i'm not sure why its even worth arguing otherwise. It is a 100% fact.

Jurich would be the worse AD in the country if the reason you stated is true and I just don't believe he is that dumb.
05-05-2012 01:57 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
It really does not matter because the Big 12 asked WVU first. It is time to just drive on. 07-coffee3
05-05-2012 02:06 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Truth is WVU probably would have been picked up Next by the SEC or ACC had the Big12 not gone ahead and Grabbed them first. It was a very stratigic move if The 12 wanted Eastern expansion. They got a Very Good Football Program in the ACC/SEC backyard to start expansion with. Now if Rumors can turn into reality, Which they Can, Then it's not very far fetched that as many as 2-6 more schools from the Eastern/ South Eastern parts of the U.S. could be invited to join an Eastern Division of the Big 12.
05-05-2012 02:16 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(05-05-2012 01:57 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(05-05-2012 01:42 PM)Bull Wrote:  

Please explain to me why McConnell was still trying to get UL in at the last minute if UL was not willing to leave at the same time WVU was? We have mainstream media people saying TV was the reason we got in, even UofL apologist Barry Trammel admits this. Most UL fans accept that, i'm not sure why its even worth arguing otherwise. It is a 100% fact.

Jurich would be the worse AD in the country if the reason you stated is true and I just don't believe he is that dumb.

There are some Louisville fans that are just totally delusional (true everywhere, but believing this is a whopper). Jurich and the UL President are not stupid. They wouldn't have such a successful program if they were. And UL is not some paragon of virtue. Petrino and Pitino ring a bell?

WVU is simply more valuable. 20 years ago UL = Memphis. 7 years ago they were CUSA. UL has come a long way, but values don't change that quick.
05-05-2012 02:19 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(05-05-2012 01:40 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
FIFY

I agree, but they usually don't hold press conferences to prove it. They usually prove it accidentally.
05-05-2012 02:20 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

[/quote]

Actually everyone agreed to stay but Missouri. SEC, BE, B12 commissioners all agreed it would be best if everyone moved in 2013. But Missouri wouldn't stay and that put the Big 12 in a bind. UL would have done the same thing as WVU if asked.
05-05-2012 02:23 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(05-05-2012 02:20 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(05-05-2012 01:40 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
FIFY
I agree, but they usually don't hold press conferences to prove it. They usually prove it accidentally.
It can be very amusing at times too...
05-05-2012 02:38 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-05-2012 01:42 PM)Bull Wrote:  What is noteworthy is that if asked LV said no, and that when the BE ended up in a similar jam (thanks to WV) and asked other schools if it was possible they join early (Memphis, Boise, Houston), they all said NO. All these schools had some sense of class and loyalty to their former conference, and wanted to play by the rules. Luckily the BE found a great candidate in Temple who could, legally/appropriately, be available in 2012.

Mountain West bylaws allowed for Boise (or San Diego State) to make an early exit, but either A) the Big East wasn't willing to fork over the cash to make it happen or B) Boise State wasn't willing to move to the WAC early and then see the WAC fall apart around them, and have their non-football sports make four conference changes in four years (WAC 2010-11, MWC 2011-12, WAC 2012-13, ???? 2013-14)
05-05-2012 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.