Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football: Linebacker Depth
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Football: Linebacker Depth
I was looking at the roster and see ALOT of depth at Linebacker.

Already here:
Colin Weingrad
Blake Poole
Sean Kurtz
Desdan Hester (injured?)
Justin Cudworth
Jake Pennese
Steve Brown

There is a lot of talent returning here. Cudworth has shown flashes. Weingrad has been solid and Poole have been solid. Kurtz is coming off of an injury, but brings a solid reputation with him. Steve Brown is a Senior, but I'm not sure where he fits in here. Jake Pennese saw a lot of action at the one practice I attended.

Coming in:
Hunter Matt
Anthony Zappone
Ike Spearman
Tim Brown

This is a SOLID group of linebackers to bring in. Tim Brown's recruiting videos look great and I'm excited to see how he handles his transition from JUCO ball to the MAC. The other three are young and were a large reason why people were so excited about this recruiting class.

Question marks:
Amos Houston- Listed as an "Athlete" with the recruiting class, but seems to have played some LB as well as Safety and WR. What will he be here at EMU?
Matt Boyd- Was a linebacker his first two years. He started to see some time at fullback last year and now appears on the roster as a fullback. Will this be where he stays?
Bryan Pali- Played very well in his time at linebacker last year, but was recruited as a Safety and is now listed as a DB again. With the depth at LB and the concerns at Safety, will Pali be a Safety? Will we see him back at LB?

What do you all think?
05-03-2012 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Football: Linebacker Depth
Dear KPJ,
Desdan Hester had an achilles tendon injury, and was on the sidelines at the spring practice I attended. I spoke with him briefly, and he said he would be ready by the fall. I know nothing of those kinds of injuries when one talks of heal time, so, I guess it depends on the severity of the injury. He was in a strap on boot kind of brace.
05-03-2012 09:42 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
I am not sure if this add anything to the topic but I saw Tim Brown in person and be is about 6'1 1/2 and built like a sh*thouse.. I think he will be one of the starters this year if he plays like his highlight film shows...

We should be okay in the future with the freshmen LB'er who are coming in.. They may even redshirt a couple of them..

Pali will probably stay at the LB'er position because he played well there and they want someone who has played there before.. I understand now why English is saying he feel good about this position..

I would think Houston will play either safety or move to LB, he is a big kid 6'2 and 220 already..
05-03-2012 10:03 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
This is the strongest unit on defense. I would like to see them redshirt at least two of the frosh but for depth reasons I can see that may be difficult.
05-03-2012 10:30 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-03-2012 10:30 AM)emu79 Wrote:  This is the strongest unit on defense. I would like to see them redshirt at least two of the frosh but for depth reasons I can see that may be difficult.

Can we trade some LBs to...

KPJ:

We know know about frosh until they step on the scale and see what they weigh.

From what is written here, a big question is:

Houston: at 210 he is a WR or Safety; at 225 - 235 linebacker. Anything more say 245 - 250, he could grow into a rush DE.

250 and WR quicks is lethal in the MAC. 04-bow

As has been mentioned here a number of times, some recruits can add say 10 -15% to their h.s. playing weight and result in a position change.

I still believe adding 10% to Lewis could make him an up back in front of Scherrer, Greene, etc.
05-03-2012 11:06 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-03-2012 10:30 AM)emu79 Wrote:  This is the strongest unit on defense. I would like to see them redshirt at least two of the frosh but for depth reasons I can see that may be difficult.

Matt and Zappone are prime redshirt candidates.

From the interview I heard with Matt (and his h.s. coach, Ron Adams) seem to expect a redshirt.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 11:36 AM by emu steve.)
05-03-2012 11:35 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Penesse is from my school in Toledo. I'm surprised he walked on and made it at EMU. He's a little bit undersized. It's good to see he his playing.
05-03-2012 11:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.