Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN: Big XII has named new commissioner
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
ESPN: Big XII has named new commissioner
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...sioner-job

Stanford AD Bob Bowlsby. He had PAC Commissioner Larry Scott's personal endorsement. So now the Big XII will be run by a PAC and B1G guy - and a guy who at one time ran the NCAA tournament. Interesting.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:34 PM by CommuterBob.)
05-02-2012 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
RE: ESPN: Big XII has named new commissioner
I think this is a great hire for the Big 12; Stanford has generally had one of the strongest athletic departments in the nation and if he's been able to successfully lead it, I think he'll do a good job leading the Big 12

and let's not forget, which I did, that Oliver Luck's son Andrew played at Stanford. I'm guessing that Ollie and Bowlsby developed a good relationship during that time
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:42 PM by Theodoresdaddy.)
05-02-2012 10:36 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Pulling in the AD from one of the most prolific academic universities in the country? Seems like a surprise pick but should he accept this could work out quite well for the Big 12.
05-02-2012 10:40 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Can't be true. How could the Big 12 take the Stanford AD over the Awesome One, especially considering "inside" sources had Luck one of the favorites?

Cheers,
Neil
05-02-2012 10:48 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

(05-02-2012 10:48 PM)omniorange Wrote:  Can't be true. How could the Big 12 take the Stanford AD over the Awesome One, especially considering "inside" sources had Luck one of the favorites?

Cheers,
Neil

Ollie was never a candidate for the Big 12 job-not sure why people kept saying he was
05-02-2012 10:51 PM
frankielou1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
So was Stanford one of the progressive schools that favored PAC-10 expansion or where they one of the traditional schools that did not favor it?
05-02-2012 10:51 PM
Advertisement

buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Luck publicly declared several times he wasn't interested in the job despite numerous attempts at him by recruiters.
05-02-2012 10:52 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Thank god. Now we don't have to hear from Chuck Neinas anymore.
05-02-2012 10:52 PM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(05-02-2012 10:51 PM)frankielou1 Wrote:  So was Stanford one of the progressive schools that favored PAC-10 expansion or where they one of the traditional schools that did not favor it?

Not certain but Bowlsby was directly involved in the landmark PAC 12 tv negotiations.
05-02-2012 10:53 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Looks like Banowsky missed out, too.
05-02-2012 10:54 PM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(05-02-2012 10:51 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 10:48 PM)omniorange Wrote:  Can't be true. How could the Big 12 take the Stanford AD over the Awesome One, especially considering "inside" sources had Luck one of the favorites?

Cheers,
Neil

Ollie was never a candidate for the Big 12 job-not sure why people kept saying he was

Actually he was and reported he turned down recruiters just the other day.
05-02-2012 10:54 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

Not sure where Bowlsby falls on expansion but this story from September makes it sound like he's against it:

Quote:Bringing Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aboard without Texas would have been an even harder sell for Pac-12 presidents who simply weren't eager to expand.

"We have a very good situation and a bright future," Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby said.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...nd-further
05-02-2012 10:57 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(05-02-2012 10:54 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Actually he was and reported he turned down recruiters just the other day.
He knew he wasn't getting the job
05-02-2012 11:05 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-02-2012 10:57 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Not sure where Bowlsby falls on expansion but this story from September makes it sound like he's against it:

Quote:Bringing Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aboard without Texas would have been an even harder sell for Pac-12 presidents who simply weren't eager to expand.

"We have a very good situation and a bright future," Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby said.

He has a different, new, employer now. Stanford has always been the most reluctant Pac school on the subject of expansion. A Stanford AD who publicly advocated for it would not be toeing the company line.
05-02-2012 11:06 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Cheers,
Neil

Not according to every Eers board I visit. Luck was indeed a "candidate", one of the leading ones as a matter of fact according to these boards.

Now, watch those same Eers' fans say that Luck was the one who pushed for the Stanford AD. After all, his son played for Stanford. 03-wink

The Awesome One knows all. 04-bow

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 11:16 PM by omniorange.)
05-02-2012 11:16 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-02-2012 10:57 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Not sure where Bowlsby falls on expansion but this story from September makes it sound like he's against it:

I tend to think that this is an apples and oranges comparison.
05-02-2012 11:37 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Congrats to the Big XII. Seems to be a great hire(if he takes the job of course).
05-02-2012 11:44 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(05-02-2012 11:37 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  

I tend to think that this is an apples and oranges comparison.

I really have no idea on him and that was about the only thing I could readily find on the subject. As I said, the context of the story alludes to that perspective, but I can't be sure.

That said, Land Thieves and Greg Swaim have been angling since the announcement that he is a pro-expansion guy that wanted Oklahoma and OSU in the PAC. But I can't find anything to support that either.
05-02-2012 11:45 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
ComputerBob... The problem with looking back to last fall in regards to expansion is that he was serving a different master. Stanford's President and Stanford's allies in the PAC prob wasn't for expansion. Now in the Big XII, we'll see what their Presidents and AD's wants to do.

The biggest thing with this probable hire is that the B1G and PAC 12 most likely as an ally in determining which playoff format we see.
05-02-2012 11:57 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

(05-02-2012 11:16 PM)omniorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Not according to every Eers board I visit. Luck was indeed a "candidate", one of the leading ones as a matter of fact according to these boards.

Now, watch those same Eers' fans say that Luck was the one who pushed for the Stanford AD. After all, his son played for Stanford. 03-wink

The Awesome One knows all. 04-bow

Cheers,
Neil

and he kept saying that he didn't want the job which in my mind eliminated him as a candidate

it's a moot point anyway-he's staying at WVU
05-03-2012 12:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.