Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Giving Georgia to the Sun Belt?
Bookmark and Share
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
CUSA Giving Georgia to the Sun Belt?
Seems kind of odd that the CUSA is about to allow the Sun Belt to have ownership of the State of Georgia which is one of the top few states in producing FBS and NFL talent. Given that the CUSA is now not much if any better in terms of historical success on the football field, it would be shocking if CUSA does not have a presence in GA.

If the Benson can pull off getting Ga State and Ga Southern and lock them in, then it will likely result in the Sun Belt becoming a better conference than the CUSA in football. The exposure the Sun Belt will gain in Georgia will result in schools throughout the Sun Belt signing more athletes from GA.

Sun Belt needs to hurry up and lock up Ga Southern and Ga State. CUSA may continue to expand to 16 and take at least one of the two. Benson was very savvy in getting Ga State before the CUSA. Now he needs to close the deal without letting things drag on. Get on it Benson. Get the invites out and vote on the large exit fee.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:32 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-02-2012 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
RE: CUSA Giving Georgia to the Sun Belt?
CUSA figures they can pick it up later. Problem is if the Big East has performance issues in football and loses one or two more teams, say to the Big 12, and they pick up USM and ECU. then CUSA is probably not the better conference. The distance between our leagues is closing.
05-02-2012 10:29 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Actually im not surprised. I think CUSA took UTSA and Charlotte as a direct response to us taking Georgia State. They know that TV contracts are about to be renegotiated, and the last thing they wanted was for us to gain a larger piece of the TV pie because of markets.

Georgia Southern is not abouta market, its a tradition add. CUSA will risk losing Georgia recruits to the SBC as long as Southern Miss and ECU are still their property
05-02-2012 10:34 PM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
No rush for the Sun Belt. They already have GSU and they know nobody is picking up Southern or any other Ga school for that matter
05-02-2012 10:34 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-02-2012 10:34 PM)itsmeagain Wrote:  No rush for the Sun Belt. They already have GSU and they know nobody is picking up Southern or any other Ga school for that matter

Ga Southern grad and CEO/Owner of Chic-Fil-A worth $2 billion is becoming more involved with the University. Maybe he could add a second Chic-Fil-A bowl for the Sun Belt or CUSA? 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:43 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-02-2012 10:42 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
How can CUSA "give" something they've never had ? Maybe they just aren't interested.
05-02-2012 10:51 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-02-2012 10:51 PM)MG61 Wrote:  How can CUSA "give" something they've never had ? Maybe they just aren't interested.

CUSA wants Georgia. Everyone does. Tons of NFL talent.

CUSA used to not worry about the Sun Belt, but things are different now. CUSA has to know that they cannot let the Sun Belt have the entire state locked up. Expect to see more crazy movements. Nobody saw the ODU move coming, so there will be more unexpected things happening.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 11:03 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-02-2012 11:02 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(05-02-2012 11:02 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 10:51 PM)MG61 Wrote:  How can CUSA "give" something they've never had ? Maybe they just aren't interested.

CUSA used to not worry about the Sun Belt, but things are different now. CUSA has to know that they cannot let the Sun Belt have the entire state locked up. Expect to see more crazy movements. Nobody saw the ODU move coming, so there will be more unexpected things happening.

How about a link to PROVE that CUSA want's Georgia. I've never seen a Georgia team discussed on their board as a possible or wanted member.
05-02-2012 11:19 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(05-02-2012 11:02 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

I hope CUSA is too busy looking at their market spreadsheet to notice.

Teams can make their bones recruiting FL and GA.

Even after the SEC/ACC have their recruiting orgy, there are plenty of good players left.

Bringing in both GaSt and GaSo to FBS would be a bit of a coup.

Even Slive might call Benson a prick.
Which would be awesome.
05-02-2012 11:25 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
The lack of a Georgia expansion by CUSA had to do more with priorities this time around.

Simply put, if CUSA did not rebuild in Texas then UTEP was gone to the MWC with possibly Rice/Tulsa.

Once that goal was achieved the next goal was to placate East Carolina with Charlotte and Old Dominion.

The state of Georgia just wasn't a priority this time around but its pretty obvious any Georgia based school is going to recruit well and its only a matter of time until CUSA come calling.
05-02-2012 11:29 PM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

(05-02-2012 10:42 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 10:34 PM)itsmeagain Wrote:  No rush for the Sun Belt. They already have GSU and they know nobody is picking up Southern or any other Ga school for that matter

Ga Southern grad and CEO/Owner of Chic-Fil-A worth $2 billion is becoming more involved with the University. Maybe he could add a second Chic-Fil-A bowl for the Sun Belt or CUSA? 03-wink

There already is a chic-fil-a bowl. Remember? You might have heard of the conference tie ins, a couple of conferences called the SEC and the ACC... Did the CEO go to a school in one of those conferences?

Point is, no. Not gonna happen, at least not as a result of southern moving anywhere.
05-02-2012 11:36 PM
Advertisement

TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
OK if Appalachian St is not on board. And if we are going to go after areas with strong recruiting then I suggest we add Georgia Southern and LAMAR. LAMAR is located in a part of America Known as the Golden Triangle of college football recruiting. It is the area near Houston that has produced quite a few NFL athletes. LAMAR used to be DI before dropping its program due to economic challenges. But has a very wealthy Alumni( think Oil Money) and has made a new commitment to DI football. Plus this will keep the conference balanced.
05-03-2012 12:39 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-03-2012 12:39 AM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  OK if Appalachian St is not on board. And if we are going to go after areas with strong recruiting then I suggest we add Georgia Southern and LAMAR. LAMAR is located in a part of America Known as the Golden Triangle of college football recruiting. It is the area near Houston that has produced quite a few NFL athletes. LAMAR used to be DI before dropping its program due to economic challenges. But has a very wealthy Alumni( think Oil Money) and has made a new commitment to DI football. Plus this will keep the conference balanced.

Very familiar with Lamar as they were a bit of a rival at one time. They have a lot to prove to themselves and others at the FCS level since their program failed at one point. They don't need to go to fast and should establish a winning tradition in FCS first.
05-03-2012 12:42 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(05-03-2012 12:39 AM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  OK if Appalachian St is not on board. And if we are going to go after areas with strong recruiting then I suggest we add Georgia Southern and LAMAR. LAMAR is located in a part of America Known as the Golden Triangle of college football recruiting. It is the area near Houston that has produced quite a few NFL athletes. LAMAR used to be DI before dropping its program due to economic challenges. But has a very wealthy Alumni( think Oil Money) and has made a new commitment to DI football. Plus this will keep the conference balanced.

Who says Appalachian is not onboard? If you can extend an invitation to us then do so. I don't believe that MACbbs speculation or the Conference Realignment speculation. I want in to play GaSo and the rest of you guys. By the way, congratulations on the Sun Belt announcement yesterday. I know some of your fans may be disappointed, but they shouldn't. We, if in, are all going to make the Sun Belt THE giant killers. UTSA fans will be coming onto the board in two to three years saying they made a mistake.
05-03-2012 01:01 AM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
(05-03-2012 01:01 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

Who says Appalachian is not onboard? If you can extend an invitation to us then do so. I don't believe that MACbbs speculation or the Conference Realignment speculation. I want in to play GaSo and the rest of you guys. By the way, congratulations on the Sun Belt announcement yesterday. I know some of your fans may be disappointed, but they shouldn't. We, if in, are all going to make the Sun Belt THE giant killers. UTSA fans will be coming onto the board in two to three years saying they made a mistake.

I would love nothing more than to see Appalachian and Ga Southern added. We played both of you guys in 2005. We opened the season 2nd game I thnk against App St and we defeated Ga Southern in the playoffs. One of the most exciting seasons we ever had. I fwe would have won one more game we would have had a rematch in the NC.
05-03-2012 01:07 AM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

If app turns down an invite then it means they aren't going FBS. There is only one starting point for them and that's the Sun Belt
05-03-2012 01:34 AM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2012 01:34 AM)itsmeagain Wrote:  If app turns down an invite then it means they aren't going FBS. There is only one starting point for them and that's the Sun Belt

Ga Southern is moving FBS whether it is the CUSA, Sun Belt or even the MAC. We will get in this round and figure out the details later.

All three conferences would love a piece of the 3rd best talent producing state in the country. Now that the Sun Belt has Ga State, there is a lot of pressure on the other conferences to get into Georgia. The MAC would love nothing better to set up camp in GA for recruiting. Right now they are having to spread the Ohio talent among 8 FBS teams in that state.

Now that all the large markets are secure, the priority will shift towards schools with tradition and fan support. What better school to add than the number one rated school in terms of producing championships in FCS and FBS over the past 30 years? Not Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Florida or USC but Ga Southern. 6 national titles in 8 title game appearances in a 14 year period in a playoff format. The large markets are done. Now is when Ga Southern begins to stand out.

The Ga Southern beat writer said yesterday in an article that "It is a done deal" about Ga Southern moving FBS. Just not sure if it is the CUSA, MAC or Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 06:26 AM by GSU Eagles.)
05-03-2012 06:23 AM
WKUSledgeHammer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Western KY
Lamar? Been there, done that. No thanks.
05-03-2012 06:44 AM
fiuphan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Football
Maybe GA State pulls a TCU and come to CUSA. I dont think that they will take southern as most of the schools in this conference reside in urban areas. With that said GA Southern is more of a long shot and if they move its because state isnt finished.
05-03-2012 07:41 AM
VideoGreenEagle Offline
2nd String

Bring back Lamar? Seriously? Because of their football and some vague pledge for unlisted funds from unnamed donors mentioned only on Lamar fan websites? It the football equivelant of vaporware. Even the WAC chose to fold rather than invite them.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 07:43 AM by VideoGreenEagle.)
05-03-2012 07:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.