Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article---"Boldly Independent"
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
05-01-2012 06:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Article---"Boldly Independent"
The Mormon "church" employs some great spin doctors.
05-01-2012 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Keep in mind, the LDS church believes that when they die, they will become gods and rule over many planets in the universe.
05-01-2012 07:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Much of what he wrote makes sense. Comparing BYU to ND is a huge stretch. I do tend to believe they will take a bit less $$$ to keep control of exposure.
05-01-2012 07:44 AM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
I still think scheduling in the long run will be difficult for BYU. Pac 12 is essentially moving to 10 OOC games with the Big 10 pact. That put the rivalry game with Utah game in serious doubt. After what happened with MWC and their commissioner I don't know if their schools would be willing to schedule games against BYU. (Yes Hawaii has a series with them) Same goes for the Big East and Big 12. Why would they want to help BYU keep their independence when they would want them in their conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 07:57 AM by ollin.)
05-01-2012 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-01-2012 07:57 AM)ollin Wrote:  I still think scheduling in the long run will be difficult for BYU. Pac 12 is essentially moving to 10 OOC games with the Big 10 pact. That put the rivalry game with Utah game in serious doubt. After what happened with MWC and their commissioner I don't know if their schools would be willing to schedule games against BYU. (Yes Hawaii has a series with them) Same goes for the Big East and Big 12. Why would they want to help BYU keep their independence when they would want them in their conference.

I notice that the door has been left open to the New Big East. Sounds like they want to see what the TV contract looks like before jumping in. The reason they left the Mountain West was essentially because they were promised, but never actually given, the right to rebroadcast BYU football games on BYUtv. The way I understand it, the league office handled the tv negotiations and the schools never saw the actual contract. The league office sent out a overview of the contract which included the rights BYU wanted. The letter asked for permission for the league office to commit each school to the contract. For whatever reason, the BYU rebroadcast rights were not part of the final contract. It was a mistake for the schools to sign off on a contract they never actually saw. Clearly, BYU will not make that mistake again.

My guess is that they will be part of the Big East package by the time the new Big East TV deal is completed.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 10:43 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-01-2012 09:29 AM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
After being around BYU for the last 7 years. I can safely say I do not want them near the Big East and if Boise cancelled their series I would not lose any sleep at all.
05-01-2012 10:35 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-01-2012 10:35 AM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  After being around BYU for the last 7 years. I can safely say I do not want them near the Big East and if Boise cancelled their series I would not lose any sleep at all.

lol...they sound like the Mountain West version of Texas. They might be a pain, but for football only, I dont think they would really end up being that much of problem child.
05-01-2012 10:46 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Great article.

I think it's good for college football that powerful independents are around. Do you really think the MWC or C-USA would be given a path, any path, to a BCS bowl if it weren't for Notre Dame having their own seat at the negotiating table? Of course not; the big conferences would take it all. The presence of other powerful independents (Navy, Army, BYU) strengthens ND's hand at the negotiating table (and consequently, it improves the results for the minor conferences). I hope that Texas joins them in going indy some day.
05-01-2012 11:17 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
BYU will probably not be joining the Big East. From a football perspective it makes very little sense if the new playoff factors in SOS.

They already have games against Boise and Houston scheduled which along with SMU, Navy, and SDSU would be the desired foes in their probable division if they joined. They can probably get the better MWC teams in a given year and CUSA schools as well. They won't be forced into playing teams like Memphis who are 120+ in the computers and if they have to fill in with low ranking teams they can demand that desperate NMSU and Idaho come to Provo so they don't lose home games.

Unless scheduling is horrendous they would likely sit where they are unless the Big 12 or PAC ever came calling. They get similar money, all the tv rights they want and can get more home games and big opponents.

AFA or Fresno on the other hand makes TONS of sense for the potential new member. Upgrade in schedule, national visibility, and the only issue is where to park non football for AFA.

I hope the Big East adds one of those two. Would be a good fit for both sides.
05-01-2012 11:29 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
BYU can quote Muhammad Ali aphorisms all day. The fact remains that BYU is struggling to find games as an independent. Notre Dame and Army have completed their full 2013 and 2014 schedules. Navy is done with 2013 and needs just one game for 2014. Meanwhile BYU has only 8 games lined up for 2013 and only 5 for 2014. Of those 13 games, only 6 are at home and only 2 are scheduled for later than October. The WAC is disintegrating so BYU can't extend its 2011-12 scheduling agreement with them. And Georgia Tech just backed out of its 2014 and 2017 games with the Cougars.

BYU either needs to join a conference or land another scheduling agreement, e.g. with the MWC.
05-01-2012 01:27 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-01-2012 11:29 AM)Sammy11 Wrote:  BYU will probably not be joining the Big East. From a football perspective it makes very little sense if the new playoff factors in SOS.

They already have games against Boise and Houston scheduled which along with SMU, Navy, and SDSU would be the desired foes in their probable division if they joined. They can probably get the better MWC teams in a given year and CUSA schools as well. They won't be forced into playing teams like Memphis who are 120+ in the computers and if they have to fill in with low ranking teams they can demand that desperate NMSU and Idaho come to Provo so they don't lose home games.

Unless scheduling is horrendous they would likely sit where they are unless the Big 12 or PAC ever came calling. They get similar money, all the tv rights they want and can get more home games and big opponents.

AFA or Fresno on the other hand makes TONS of sense for the potential new member. Upgrade in schedule, national visibility, and the only issue is where to park non football for AFA.

I hope the Big East adds one of those two. Would be a good fit for both sides.

Its not so much who they can schedule as when and where. They are struggling to pull in good opponents in the middle and latter portions of the season. Thier current scheduling agreement for late season games is with the WAC....thats will soon be gone. Add to this, the lack of a conference race to give the late season games meaning, and they are finding a drop off in crowds and flagging interest as the season wears on. Another factor is where the games are to be played. Many of the better teams are requiring 2 for 1's from BYU. Notre Dame got a 3 for 1. That makes for a lopsided home schedule or makes it neccessary to schedule more weak teams that are willing make similar 2-1 deals in BYU's favor.

If your saying they can do better in the Big 12, I absolutely agree. But they will also have to vastly temper their demands. However, the Big East can offer them most of what they want along with a schedule where they can be very competetive and have a reasonable shot of finishing high enough to land in one of the BCS bowls.

The LDS church calls the shots at BYU. Exposure---including a nationwide schedule and the tv rights they want are the primary factors. I still think BYU and The New Big East is a good fit--but its very possible it just wont happen. I agree with you, Air Force and Fresno would also be good fits. Another moderator elsewhere has said that a highly placed BE official has told him the next add is Air Force. He may be right.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 06:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-01-2012 02:13 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
My uninformed, worthless opinion is that BYU will remain a football independent for the foreseeable future.

They have different viewpoints and a different agenda than State U who finds conference affiliation beneficial.

They are looking for increased exposure of the LDS and believe that football independence and their ESPN contract gives that to them.
05-01-2012 02:27 PM
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
I think BYU will stay independant until the pressure of the schedules wears on them.

I am just hoping the BE can land AFA and call it a day until the next upheaval.
05-01-2012 04:04 PM
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

I Root For: FSU/UD/UK/FIU
(05-01-2012 07:04 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Keep in mind, the LDS church believes that when they die, they will become gods and rule over many planets in the universe.

Is that not Scientology? Or are you just making a funny?
05-02-2012 12:08 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-02-2012 12:08 AM)JustAnotherName Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 07:04 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Keep in mind, the LDS church believes that when they die, they will become gods and rule over many planets in the universe.

Is that not Scientology? Or are you just making a funny?

No. That is a tenet of Mormonism

Also - google Kolob sometime :)
05-02-2012 12:14 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
There's a tenet of Mormon theology that says "as man is, God once was; as God is, man may become". That doesn't mean LDS people think they will become gods when they die. It means their goal is to work toward achieving perfection in this life and the next one and the potential reward for the very few who get there is a status tantamount to being a god.

I'm not an LDS member but that's my understanding.
05-02-2012 12:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.