Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Something I found disturbing about Noland's statements last Friday
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Something I found disturbing about Noland's statements last Friday
This quote about the amphitheatre-

“It’s the most widely recognized and well-known portion of the institution,” Noland said of the amphitheater. “When you look at postcards from the ’60s and the ’70s this is what they show.”

Uh, what about Memorial Center, Boss?

Academic types don't like it, but generally the most recognized part of a university is not the library, Old Main, a clock tower or, heaven help us, an amphitheatre.

It's the athletic facility. I don't care where you're talking about. At Yale, nothing is more famous than the Yale Bowl.

As unpopular as the venue is, the Vault/Dome is the most recognizable structure in Johnson City, let alone ETSU.

Just think about when you've gone out to eat- maybe at a place like Shoney's or something- and they've got the pictures of the area. You always see the Vault/Dome.

Point is, when a new President comes in and starts talking about amphitheatres and performing arts centers while the baseball park opens with no seats and other athletic concerns keep getting pushed to the backburner with no changes eminent, it is becoming apparent where Noland's priorities lie.
04-29-2012 02:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seattle Bucs Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Something I found disturbing about Noland's statements last Friday
So you are saying that the most recognized part of the university should be an outmoded, outdated, white elephant?

The ENTIRE article. Draw your own conclusions.

Before honoring a veteran student adviser Friday with a new car in what will become an annual tradition, East Tennessee State University President Brian Noland detailed plans to overhaul aspects of the campus this summer.

During a ceremony at the school’s amphitheater Friday afternoon, Noland announced that a green space would be created in the middle of campus, that the Mini Dome would be improved for games and other aspects of campus would be modernized this summer and fall.

“What I hope we can do as an institution and as a community is to build upon the foundation of excellence that we have on campus and push the institution forward,” he said in an interview after presenting Tim Dills, senior academic adviser in the ETSU College of Business and Technology, with a new car for his contribution to student success during his career.

“Over the course of the summer we’re going to begin the work of returning the core of campus to a lawn to celebrate occasions such as today, but to literally return the heart of the campus to our students,” Noland said.

In the fall, Noland said modernization of the amphitheater will begin.

“It’s the most widely recognized and well-known portion of the institution,” Noland said of the amphitheater. “When you look at postcards from the ’60s and the ’70s this is what they show.”

Noland said work has already begun on improving the Dome, specifically the roof. The building’s seating and concessions will also be improved to enhance the game day experience as part of an overall campus re-visioning effort that will kick off in a few weeks.

“The whole goal is when students return for the fall and we play our first men’s and women’s basketball game in the Dome, it looks different, the experience is enhanced and we’re able to attract our fans from across the region back home to campus,” he said.

Dills was the inaugural recipient of the Bert C. Bach Servant Leadership Award. This honor included the keys to a 2012 Honda Civic donated by Johnson City Honda.

“It was quite a shock,” Dills said after being presented with the award and car keys. “I had been told to be here for the ceremony but no one would tell me why.”

Dills received his B.B.A. degree in 1984 and his M.B.A. in 1987 from ETSU. He joined the College of Business and Technology in 1992.

Noland said in his remarks that Dills has helped thousands of students with advisement over the years. Dills said he enjoyed seeing students go from freshmen to graduation.

“I’m very thankful for what I do and I enjoy working with the students,” Dills said.

The award Dills got was named in honor of ETSU’s Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Bert Bach.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 08:45 PM by Seattle Bucs.)
04-29-2012 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2012 02:43 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  This quote about the amphitheatre-

Academic types don't like it, but generally the most recognized part of a university is not the library, Old Main, a clock tower or, heaven help us, an amphitheatre.

It's the athletic facility. I don't care where you're talking about. At Yale, nothing is more famous than the Yale Bowl.

As unpopular as the venue is, the Vault/Dome is the most recognizable structure in Johnson City, let alone ETSU.

Just think about when you've gone out to eat- maybe at a place like Shoney's or something- and they've got the pictures of the area. You always see the Vault/Dome.

Point is, when a new President comes in and starts talking about amphitheatres and performing arts centers while the baseball park opens with no seats and other athletic concerns keep getting pushed to the backburner with no changes eminent, it is becoming apparent where Noland's priorities lie.

Agree with some, but disagree with most of this. The Dome is an eyesore that has held this university back even when things were great (athletically speaking). It is an awful basketball venue even when it is packed. At a minimum, it helped kill football. Also, at most great schools, a clock tower or other non athletic structure is the face of the campus. Furthermore, the comparison to the Yale bowl is just silly.
04-29-2012 10:56 PM
Advertisement

Seattle Bucs Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-29-2012 10:56 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  
(04-29-2012 02:43 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  This quote about the amphitheatre-

Agree with some, but disagree with most of this. The Dome is an eyesore that has held this university back even when things were great (athletically speaking). It is an awful basketball venue even when it is packed. At a minimum, it helped kill football. Also, at most great schools, a clock tower or other non athletic structure is the face of the campus. Furthermore, the comparison to the Yale bowl is just silly.

And here I thought the Shoney's example was the silliest part...
04-29-2012 11:22 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
I am saying, eyesore or no, the Dome is more recognizable than the amphitheatre.

But thanks for posting.
04-29-2012 11:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(04-29-2012 11:50 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  I am saying, eyesore or no, the Dome is more recognizable than the amphitheatre.

But thanks for posting.

And, what is also recognizable is no mention or acknowledgement anywhere of the BFFF by Noland or anyone else in discussions about ETSU athletics. There"s a reason, there's a plan in the works that is being held until the right time? So, nobody is talking until the right time? Right?
04-30-2012 04:48 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(04-30-2012 04:48 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(04-29-2012 11:50 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  I am saying, eyesore or no, the Dome is more recognizable than the amphitheatre.

But thanks for posting.

And, what is also recognizable is no mention or acknowledgement anywhere of the BFFF by Noland or anyone else in discussions about ETSU athletics. There"s a reason, there's a plan in the works that is being held until the right time? So, nobody is talking until the right time? Right?
I think the big problem right now is that Stanton is the only one who left. Remember, he left an AD and virtually all of his administrators who are against football just like Stanton was. It will take time to get through to Dr. Noland when he is being fed the obvious propaganda that has gotten ETSU into this ridiculous position. I have to believe that September 1st will serve as a grand wake up call to Dr. Noland. This is the day that most of the schools in Tennessee will strike up their marching bands, play the fight song while marching onto the field, leading their football teams out to start the season. Then Dr. Noland will realize he is president of a state university with 16,000 students on a dead campus with nothing to do save toss a frisbee. If that does not emabarrass him then I will be mistaken. It would embarrass most people and this should show how out of the main stream ETSU has become over the last ten years. It can be changed whenever Dr. Noland says it will change. Hopefully this Fall it will start.
04-30-2012 05:00 PM
Advertisement

BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
(04-30-2012 05:00 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Remember, he left an AD and virtually all of his administrators who are against football just like Stanton was.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. They're all state employee yes-men (paid to agree . . . not to have thoughts of their own). They'll for sure change their tune the minute Noland gives the go-ahead for football.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 12:32 AM by BucSinceTheSixties.)
05-01-2012 12:27 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-01-2012 12:27 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  
(04-30-2012 05:00 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Remember, he left an AD and virtually all of his administrators who are against football just like Stanton was.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. They're all state employee yes-men (paid to agree . . . not to have thoughts of their own). They'll for sure change their tune the minute Noland gives the go-ahead for football.

But, if that should occur -- there's no evidence, given their track record the past decade, that they have the administrative skills, the fundraising skills, or any of the other skills needed to successfully handle a project like that. If Noland gives the go-ahead for football, he'll have to have skilled people to do it, beginning with a real Division I, Mid-Major athletic director.

Note: The core of this statement has been pointed out and well documented many, many times before on this board.
05-01-2012 07:19 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(04-30-2012 05:00 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(04-30-2012 04:48 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

But thanks for posting.

I think the big problem right now is that Stanton is the only one who left. Remember, he left an AD and virtually all of his administrators who are against football just like Stanton was. It will take time to get through to Dr. Noland when he is being fed the obvious propaganda that has gotten ETSU into this ridiculous position. I have to believe that September 1st will serve as a grand wake up call to Dr. Noland. This is the day that most of the schools in Tennessee will strike up their marching bands, play the fight song while marching onto the field, leading their football teams out to start the season. Then Dr. Noland will realize he is president of a state university with 16,000 students on a dead campus with nothing to do save toss a frisbee. If that does not emabarrass him then I will be mistaken. It would embarrass most people and this should show how out of the main stream ETSU has become over the last ten years. It can be changed whenever Dr. Noland says it will change. Hopefully this Fall it will start.

Absolutely! You are exactly right on. He is talking of bringing Buc fans back home, of students and their return in the fall, etc. BUT, if Buc fans want to see college football in the fall, they"ll have to travel as Dr. Noland says he does, or play frisbee during September, October, and most of November. Of course there's futbol, but will that ever generate the kind of interest and the getting Buc fans home that Dr. Noland is talking about?
05-01-2012 07:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.