Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T: Lions' Draft Thursday
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
O/T: Lions' Draft Thursday
EMU revenue sports are now entering the quiet season with the exception of awaiting a women's head coach hire.

Anyone want to take a shot at the Lions' #1 draft choice?

I'm guessing an OL. Maybe Martin from OSU or an interior OL from Stanford.

Looks like the top DBs won't be on the board.

Time for the Lions to declare an OL "The best available player" even if he isn't...

Have a stable of OLs to protect Stafford is a good thing. 03-idea
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2012 03:01 AM by emu steve.)
04-22-2012 03:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: O/T: Lions' Draft Thursday
(04-22-2012 10:16 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  CB Dre Kirkpatrick

May not make it to 23 but it seems like a realistic possibility right now. I like Gilmore and Barron though both likely will be gone. OT and DE also a possibility.

Looking at a mock. All could be gone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lions trade up for OL DeCastro (Stanford) or stay at 23 for Martin (Stanford also) or OT Adams (OSU).
04-22-2012 11:59 AM
wolverineeagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU/UM
(04-22-2012 11:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

May not make it to 23 but it seems like a realistic possibility right now. I like Gilmore and Barron though both likely will be gone. OT and DE also a possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lions trade up for OL DeCastro (Stanford) or stay at 23 for Martin (Stanford also) or OT Adams (OSU).

Adams is doing to drop due to his positive drug test.
04-22-2012 01:32 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-22-2012 01:32 PM)wolverineeagle Wrote:  
(04-22-2012 11:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Adams is doing to drop due to his positive drug test.

I've seen mocks with Adams dropping maybe into the 2nd round.

It could be tough to choose from Kirkpatrick and Martin if both are there at #23.
04-22-2012 04:56 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-25-2012 03:42 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  I the Lions stick with the BPA philosophy that they constantly preach, don't be shocked if they bypass OT and select a DE like Chandler Jones or Whitney Mercilus.

I'm now hoping for an OL, Cordy Glenn, Georgia, assuming the top 3 CBs are gone.

He should be able to start at right tackle and also play the other positions if needed. I consider right tackle a real weakness.

I have not been a fan of our RT. 03-banghead

Wild card for Lions: trading up 3 - 5 spots to get the CB sitting there...
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 05:53 AM by emu steve.)
04-26-2012 04:58 AM
KPJ Online
1st String

I Root For: EMU
I would probably get some negative reputation marks if I start to talk about my Bears and my hopes for our draft...
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
I guess I'll just say good luck and it's got to be great, from a fan and front office perspective, to be picking closer to the bottom of the first round rather than at the top. I cringe when I think of all the money the Lions have tied up in Stafford, Johnson and Suh.
04-26-2012 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
Will EMU safety L. Thomas be drafted in the later rounds?? My guess is that he'll probably sign as a free agent after the draft.
04-26-2012 09:33 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-26-2012 09:33 AM)Dennis Hoopster Wrote:  Will EMU safety L. Thomas be drafted in the later rounds?? My guess is that he'll probably sign as a free agent after the draft.

He is listed as "7/FA". I'm assuming he won't get drafted but will be quickly scooped up as a FA. Martin Mayhew are you reading this? 03-idea

I'm willing to bet a cup of coffee or a beer, but not 10 thousand dollars that LT makes some NFL team some time next season.

Someone will find this overachiever handy to have around.
04-26-2012 11:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-26-2012 10:10 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Lions got Riley Reiff, hopefully the LT of the future.

I like the pick.

Hopefully plays (starts?) this season at RT and then moves to LT.

I'd like to see the Lions move up to draft Cordy Glenn (G-T) in round two.

DeCastro was interesting. Best OL on the board, but a guard.

Presumably Reiff starts at RT and GC can move to RG from RT for depth there.

Glenn can play any OL position and between he and Reiff would get the depth, talent and youth the OL needs 'going forward.'

Lions have been drafting RBs but no OL in rounds one and two... :(
04-27-2012 04:34 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I'd like to see another OL slide to Lions in the 2nd - maybe Peter Konz (C-G) Wisconsin (may require a trade up) or trade up for Cordy Glenn.

Reiff + one of them would be a big, big start to refortifying the OL which is getting old.

There would be enough versatility to cover the 5 OL positions.
04-27-2012 05:49 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Lions have to address defense in the 2nd round (and probably the 3rd). I'm not a fan of Reiff, or drafting right tackles in the first round. Would've much rather traded down or taken Decastro, but no biggie, as long as they get a good corner in the 2nd or 3rd. I want Brandon Boykin from Georgia. Undersized, but a physical corner (think Antoine Winfield) and a very good athlete. He'd probably start from day one.
04-27-2012 07:34 AM
Advertisement

KPJ Online
1st String

Hightower was on the board... Seems like he could have been the anchor of the linebacker core for years to come.

I'm disappointed with the Bears' pick too...
04-27-2012 08:14 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

@eaglehawk: I hope they're right... I just don't think they are. I think he'll be solid at RT, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we address tackle early again in the 2013 or 2014 draft.

The continued negligence of the defense, especially the secondary, has me concerned though. As of today, our starting corners are Chris Houston and Alphonso Smith. That's gross. Both CB and safety need to be addressed, but we don't have the ammo to trade up into the high part of the 2nd round to ensure a solid starter is there. They have to hope either Jenkins or Boykin falls to them.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 08:21 AM by EagleSam.)
04-27-2012 08:18 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-27-2012 08:18 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  @eaglehawk: I hope they're right... I just don't think they are. I think he'll be solid at RT, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we address tackle early again in the 2013 or 2014 draft.

The continued negligence of the defense, especially the secondary, has me concerned though. As of today, our starting corners are Chris Houston and Alphonso Smith. That's gross. Both CB and safety need to be addressed, but we don't have the ammo to trade up into the high part of the 2nd round to ensure a solid starter is there. They have to hope either Jenkins or Boykin falls to them.

I understand your points, Sam, but there has also been 'continued negligence' of the OL.

It may sound crazy but if I saw the draft break the way it did, I'd tried to add a 2nd adjacent pick (i.e., #22) and gone DeCastro and Reilly Reiff.

That would have been huge for the OL. Protection and future starters for any of the OL positions.

I still hope the Lions trade up 10 - 15 spots and draft Cordy Glenn, a very versatile player who can do OG - OT.

CB had already been picked over while excellent VALUE was there at OL with DeCastro and Reiff.

Next year free agency + draft is 'all about the D(efense) CB..."

Next year the Lions might have to trade up to get a quality CB.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 08:33 AM by emu steve.)
04-27-2012 08:30 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Fair points, Steve. I just have a feeling I'll be frustrated again watching our secondary get picked apart game after game by the many quality QBs in the NFC. As terrific as stafford was last season, he couldn't keep up with Brees in the playoff game because our defense couldn't get off the field. We didn't look at any corners in free agency... In fact, we downsized the position when we let Wright walk. I thought for sure we would address the position high in the draft, and we still have a chance to. But if round 2 passes without a corner or safety picked, I'll be very concerned.
04-27-2012 08:41 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Mel Kiper has the Lions taking a CB from Montana in the 2nd round.

He has Cordy Glenn going #1 in the 2nd round.
04-27-2012 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
(04-27-2012 09:21 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Mel Kiper has the Lions taking a CB from Montana in the 2nd round.

The kid from Montana is a big physical corner. Coverage skills??
04-27-2012 09:48 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-27-2012 09:21 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Mel Kiper has the Lions taking a CB from Montana in the 2nd round.

I'm watching a Pro Football Weekly webcast review of Round #2.

They actually like the Lion's pick assuming that the Lions can wait for Broyles to be 100%.

They also really liked Cordy Glenn as a possible LT who will probably move inside. I'd try to move up. Period.

Between Reiff and Glenn the Lions would have two 'shots' at LT with the 'loser' moving to RT or if it (the loser) was Glenn then he would be a candidate at a guard position.

Talk of options, options, options...

P.S. Did the Lions pick BPA (best player available) in the first round? The Pro Football Weekly folks are shocked that DeCastro was available at #24.

DeCastro and Reiff could have been a huge steal for the Lions... IF they could have gotten a 2nd 1st round pick.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2012 05:37 AM by emu steve.)
04-28-2012 05:34 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I guess Mayhew is living and dying by his "BPA" strategy. I reaalllyyyy don't get the Broyles pick at all. Lots of people thought he was a 3rd-4th round talent BEFORE he tore his knee up. I loved the kid as a college receiver, but he's short and thin (and injury prone), and those receivers typically don't last long in the NFL.

Looks like it will another long year for our back 4. Unless this Dwight Bentley kid is a 3rd round super steal and can start right away, we appear to have downgraded the secondary, which was terrible to begin with.
04-28-2012 09:54 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-28-2012 09:54 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I guess Mayhew is living and dying by his "BPA" strategy. I reaalllyyyy don't get the Broyles pick at all. Lots of people thought he was a 3rd-4th round talent BEFORE he tore his knee up. I loved the kid as a college receiver, but he's short and thin (and injury prone), and those receivers typically don't last long in the NFL.

Looks like it will another long year for our back 4. Unless this Dwight Bentley kid is a 3rd round super steal and can start right away, we appear to have downgraded the secondary, which was terrible to begin with.

From what I'm reading folks are ALL OVER the map on Broyles.

Some think a not injured Broyles was a high two or low one pick.

Others ?????

I don't like reaching for a DB (or any player), and would have been happy to trade up say 15 picks and gone for Cordy Glenn, OG-OT-C from Georgia.

P.S. I'm hopeful that either or both Best and Leshore will play this year at RB.
04-28-2012 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.