Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Former Virginia coach and AD to become ECU AD
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

<a href='http://www.reflector.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2004/09/06/1094521108.18121.4861.9258.html' target='_blank'>http://www.reflector.com/sports/newsfd/aut....4861.9258.html</a>

Quote:"We're preparing a detailed news release, which we hope will be out by Tuesday," Ballard said Monday night. "We expect it to be a very positive release on not only the choice of the AD, but also the entire athletic department."

Sources close to the search told the Daily Reflector on Monday that (Terry) Holland had accepted the position. Ballard would not comment directly on whether Holland had taken the job.

Now, the reason I post this here is because it's no secret among your average Pirate fan that this hire is made with the intention of getting East Carolina into the Big East.

The question is: Will it work...? Let's have a "Big East" perspective on this.
09-07-2004 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I think Holland is a very solid hire.....he was a pretty good AD at virginia....my only problem with it is how much does a bball man by trade know about rebuilding a football program??

-- As for getting into the BE....I honestly think had the BE football schools split from the bball only in 1998 or something like that...ECU would have been the 9th team added over Louisville and UC.....Miami, VT and WVU all played ECU reguarly and I think it would have been a slam dunk....now...I'm not so sure

--- the BE football schools seems determined to a league that makes as much geographic/historical sense as possible....and in that context I would think Memphis ( history with UC and Louisville), UCF ( rival for USF) or the academies ( long history with the eastern schools, good geograpy) make more sense

-- ECU does offer some great fan support...but being located in the shadow of the NC ACC schools is a really big negative....but with that being said...if ECU wins 2 or 3 CUSA championships between now and the end of the decade it may be a differenct story...but right now it makes no sense in adding a football program that is 1-11....and judging from what I saw @ Moutaineer field the other night.....hasn't seemed to have improved a whole lot..... my suggestion to ECU is this...dominate CUSA in football and you have a decent shot....being .500 or below in CUSA and your chances are slim to none

Jackson
09-07-2004 02:49 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Terry Holland is a home run hire for ECU. Congrats to them.

Now, will that make any difference in getting ECU into the BE? I doubt it. The reality is, there are at LEAST two programs that make more sense for BE membership: Memphis (obviously) and UCF. Temple could also be in that mix.

Will Holland get ECU into the BE? Hard to say. If we ever go beyond 10, then ECU is a slam dunk. If we go just to 9, or 10.... ECU is a hard sell compared to Memphis and UCF.
09-07-2004 05:42 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

--- the BE football schools seems determined to a league that makes as much geographic/historical sense as possible....and in that context I would think Memphis ( history with UC and Louisville), UCF ( rival for USF) or the academies ( long history with the eastern schools, good geograpy) make more sense

That's a key point right there. One thing the Big East is trying to do that I like that will improve attendance and excitement is that the Big East is trying to build rivalries in football. I remember reading in an article that a Big East source said that one of the most intriguing things about adding Louisville and UC is that it is a built in rivalry. UC vs Louisville can be similar to Pitt and West Virginia. That's why Memphis makes all the sense in the world. Memphis doesn't have a built in rivalry with one team, they have it with TWO teams.

-- ECU does offer some great fan support...but being located in the shadow of the NC ACC schools is a really big negative....

Memphis is in the same situation as ECU, the difference is that Memphis is actually BLOSSOMING from being in SEC territory. You give Memphis BCS affiliation and they build a power in the middle of SEC territory and have built in major rivalries with SEC schools, adding national pub to the Big East.

That's why I don't think hiring Holland will make a difference in an of itself. It's what Holland does AFTER being hired that is key. Right now East Carolina only offers one of the worst football programs in C-USA and one of the worst, though improving, basketball programs in C-USA and a market that, in the Big East's eyes, isn't that intriguing. Memphis gives you a borderline Top 25 football program and a Top 15 or 20 basketball program and built in rivalries in the Big East and a strong market. Central Florida gives you a 25 win NCAA Tournament basketball program and a football program with some tradition, a down year not withstanding, and a football program with a high-profile football coach that is going to get them back on track, and a built-in rivalry in the Big East and a strong market. That is what East Carolina is fighting against.
09-07-2004 06:20 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Memphis is the logical choice for the 9th football school. The problem, obviously, is basketball, and whether the Big East can go to a 17-team basketball league. It's highly doubtful that Memphis would accept a football-only invite.

Therefore, I still think that Navy will be invited, and will accept the football-only invitation to become The Big East's 9th football school. Navy has superlative academics, is located in a big television market within the geographic footprint of the Big East, is respectable, and draws well. There are many bowl games that would love to have Navy.

East Carolina has a great deal of positives as a academic institution and athletics program. If the Big East football schools were to expand to 12 teams and jettison the basketball schools, ECU gets an invitation.

In my mind the pecking order (unless surprises emerge) goes something like this if the Big East adds only one team to balance out the football schedules:
1. Memphis
2. Navy (if Memphis is only offered and declines a football-only membership)
3. U of Central Florida
4. East Carolina
09-07-2004 07:37 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

ECU fans....here is a question for you.......many of us think they BE will be forced to expand soon....perphaps even by next summer in order to for us to keep pace with the 12 game schedule...the idea being that finding 5 quality non-conference games will be too difficult for the BE football teams...the trouble with that is we are contractally bound to stay with the bball onlys until the end of the decade thus making the addition of another all sports member impossible

---Do you think ECU would be interested in a football only membership in the BE while the rest of the Pirate sports compete in the A10 untill the split....Memphis fans seemed to think there school would not go for such an idea....Do you think ECU would??... If ECU could live with that for a few yrs....that could change everything

Jackson
09-07-2004 07:50 PM
pirate65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Terry Holland is a no BS kick a$$ AD. he ran off the '' old salt" Welch at UVA when he thought he couldn't get it done anymore. TH will run off JT real quick if he can't get 4 wins in 04. TH will put in a major name winning HC who will have talented kids the likes ECU has never seen lining up to play for him. i am talking a "big name" coach to turn thing around quick. TH will have big plans for ECU. coach Holland also understands a lot about tidewater NC, Va, 3+million and how this the largest unifiliated sports market in the USA was blindly left wide open by the ACC. ECU is the closest D1 football program to this vast market. you can bet he will pitch this fact to the BE and SEC key people. ECU will be in the BE or SEC under TH's watch 04-cheers
09-07-2004 11:34 PM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Jackson1011 Wrote:---Do you think ECU would be interested in a football only membership in the BE while the rest of the Pirate sports compete in the A10 untill the split....Memphis fans seemed to think there school would not go for such an idea....Do you think ECU would??... If ECU could live with that for a few yrs....that could change everything

Jackson
No.

That really all I got.
09-08-2004 01:38 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

pirate65 Wrote:Terry Holland is a no BS kick a$$ AD. he ran off the '' old salt" Welch at UVA when he thought he couldn't get it done anymore. TH will run off JT real quick if he can't get 4 wins in 04. TH will put in a major name winning HC who will have talented kids the likes ECU has never seen lining up to play for him. i am talking a "big name" coach to turn thing around quick. TH will have big plans for ECU. coach Holland also understands a lot about tidewater NC, Va, 3+million and how this the largest unifiliated sports market in the USA was blindly left wide open by the ACC. ECU is the closest D1 football program to this vast market. you can bet he will pitch this fact to the BE and SEC key people. ECU will be in the BE or SEC under TH's watch 04-cheers
The SEC is not expanding. I read and I think posted an article from back in May when the SEC had their meetings where they said they had no real interest in expansion and that the rest of the collegiate athletics world like the ACC are trying to emulate them. Getting a new AD is not going to force the SEC to do something they don't want to do.
09-08-2004 05:20 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.