Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T MAC West hoops problems
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
O/T MAC West hoops problems
Everyone knows the problems in Mt. Pleasant. New coaches and a lot of transfers and a few giving up the sport because of medical issues, etc.

Now Toledo got a post-season ban for academic issues from previous coaches.

http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2012/04/19...tball.html

P.S. deep in the article UT is getting a transfer from the east coast.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012 05:05 AM by emu steve.)
04-19-2012 05:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
RE: O/T MAC West hoops problems
(04-19-2012 05:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Everyone knows the problems in Mt. Pleasant. New coaches and a lot of transfers and a few giving up the sport because of medical issues, etc.

And that's just the basketball program...
04-19-2012 08:45 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(04-19-2012 08:45 AM)holybovine Wrote:  
(04-19-2012 05:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Everyone knows the problems in Mt. Pleasant. New coaches and a lot of transfers and a few giving up the sport because of medical issues, etc.

And that's just the basketball program...

True. There are significant issues with the FB program which has been documented elsewhere.

A point of information:

Anyone curious can go to Scout.com, e.g., and find the boards for many, many schools and get information from those boards.

CSNBBS.COM isn't the only game in town...
04-19-2012 08:49 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
That's a shame for coach Kowalczyk and Toledo, since it is a mess he didn't create. It also sucks for his seniors, who won't even get to participate in the MAC tourney, which they have the talent to make some noise, and even win it. I hate seeing this, and hopefully it's the last time they have to reap what Stan Joplin sewed.
04-19-2012 09:31 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(04-19-2012 09:31 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  That's a shame for coach Kowalczyk and Toledo, since it is a mess he didn't create. It also sucks for his seniors, who won't even get to participate in the MAC tourney, which they have the talent to make some noise, and even win it. I hate seeing this, and hopefully it's the last time they have to reap what Stan Joplin sewed.

seniors... we'll have seniors!!! We haven't had seniors in a while!
04-20-2012 11:01 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-19-2012 09:31 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  That's a shame for coach Kowalczyk and Toledo, since it is a mess he didn't create. It also sucks for his seniors, who won't even get to participate in the MAC tourney, which they have the talent to make some noise, and even win it. I hate seeing this, and hopefully it's the last time they have to reap what Stan Joplin sewed.
posting as long time ut fan, and occasional emu admirer who used to go to occasional games in your old field house.

joplin had been criticized early in his tenure over some players doing a poor job in class. he worked with the academic support folks and his staff to develop a strong support model, summer school routine and solid academic culture. not all of his players were scholars, but for the heart of his coaching days he graduated players at a high rate and took a lot of kids from weak academic backgrounds and helped them be successful college students. when the apr came into use his teams scored very high. it was only his painful final year that things fell apart. the gambling scandel, key recruits ineligible, a couple late marginal recruits/students and a firing mid semester that did not allow him to monitor and support players who felt betrayed by his firing. while that last yr apr scores are attributed to jop, cross was actually running the program during the final 6-8 weeks of class and finals a time when several players bailed/got pushed out without passing classes. while cross' teams had decent gpa, that misses the point of going through so many players that guys were constantly leaving and often had no incentive to hang around toledo and finish school work. i believe 15 players were in and out of the program (not counting guys like amos and kent who used up eligibility) during the 2 years cross was in charge. that was the issue - and time frame - penalized by the ban.

joplin, who i know, and also interviewed a couple times is well liked and respected by a lot of folks and is genuinely a pretty solid cool guy in a business with its share of jerks.
04-21-2012 03:09 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(04-21-2012 03:09 AM)pono Wrote:  
posting as long time ut fan, and occasional emu admirer who used to go to occasional games in your old field house.

joplin had been criticized early in his tenure over some players doing a poor job in class. he worked with the academic support folks and his staff to develop a strong support model, summer school routine and solid academic culture. not all of his players were scholars, but for the heart of his coaching days he graduated players at a high rate and took a lot of kids from weak academic backgrounds and helped them be successful college students. when the apr came into use his teams scored very high. it was only his painful final year that things fell apart. the gambling scandel, key recruits ineligible, a couple late marginal recruits/students and a firing mid semester that did not allow him to monitor and support players who felt betrayed by his firing. while that last yr apr scores are attributed to jop, cross was actually running the program during the final 6-8 weeks of class and finals a time when several players bailed/got pushed out without passing classes. while cross' teams had decent gpa, that misses the point of going through so many players that guys were constantly leaving and often had no incentive to hang around toledo and finish school work. i believe 15 players were in and out of the program (not counting guys like amos and kent who used up eligibility) during the 2 years cross was in charge. that was the issue - and time frame - penalized by the ban.

joplin, who i know, and also interviewed a couple times is well liked and respected by a lot of folks and is genuinely a pretty solid cool guy in a business with its share of jerks.

thanks for the info Pono. is this the end of the APR/gambling/multiple coaching changes fallout? meaning, after next year, will Toledo fans be able to stop worrying about new punishments and just focus on the rising basketball team?
04-21-2012 08:42 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
nobody knows, really, the main thing is the new staff is competent and they seem to have a quality group of players. the joplin years were decent and the gambling thing has never really been unraveled. at worst it involved a few players taking small gifts from a minor gambler in exchange for goofing off plays at the end of big wins to stay under the spread. certainly, it affected the spirit of those players approach, but it basically changed the spread of a few easy wins if what the feds say is true. most of the kids involved graduated and were known as decent guys around campus. the gambler also came at them in the aftermath of the haris charalumbous tragedy when the team was still grieving over watching a teammate die in front of them, at that may have impacted the mindset of guys like kashif payne, haris' roommate and best friend, who has been implicated in the scandel.
04-21-2012 07:40 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
besides a transfer Toledo has been busy this spring:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basket.../_/id/2649
04-23-2012 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.