Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Major setback.
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I thought this league was a lot further along then what it really was...

As of this post, RU is losing to New Hampshire. Talk about throwing it all away. When RU finally gets a sell out crowd and a win over a national big name program like MSU, they turn right around lose to a 1-AA team. One step forward, two steps back for the Knights.

UConn has a huge 4th quarter rally to beat Duke. It took a last second miss field goal by the worst team in the ACC for the Huskies to pull it off.

Glad to see the three new programs won. You guys can't get hear soon enough... I cringe at the thought of RU, Cuse, UConn, or Pitt getting humilated by FSU in the Gator Bowl. Come on Irish, keep on winning...
09-11-2004 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

yes- disappointing.

but keep in mind that New Hampshire just won at 1-AA National Champ Delaware last week. This was the game of the year for UNH and a scrub game for Rutgers. They weren't up for it at all, and UNH was ready to play.

But yes, it's still a disaster. 1-A teams lose to 1-AA all the time, but very rarely BCS conference teams. When was the last time a non-Big East BCS team lost to a 1-AA team? I honestly can't remember.
09-11-2004 09:50 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

P.S. The Big East is 7-1 this week, bringing the total to 11-3.

Wins over Michigan State, Murray State, East Carolina, Kentucky, UCF, Tennessee Tech, Army, Miami (Ohio), Duke, Ohio, and Buffalo.

Losses to Purdue, Ohio State, and New Hampshire (Ugh.)

Next week the Big East has...

WVU/Maryland
Pitt/Nebraska - Winnable or not?
Rutgers/Kent State
UConn/BC - Friday Night
Syracuse/Cincinnati
Louisville/Tulane
USF/South Carolina
09-11-2004 09:57 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

You're just going have to weather the storm a bit. Louisville, UC and South Florida should help a ton. Louisville is a Top 25 team, South Florida is bringing in a powerful recruiting class, and you're going to be shocked at how improved UC will be, both on the field, coaching, and in recruiting. What a disaster for Rutgers, they could have easily have gone to 2-0 and had the inside track to a bowl bid. I still think Pitt will surprise people though. The UConn score shocked me. I don't have a clue what happened with them struggling against Duke. I guess it's growing pains of moving to Division 1-A. One week you look like world beaters, the next week you struggle with Duke. Oh well, can't wait for the New Big East to get together!
09-11-2004 10:00 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

nflsucks Wrote:P.S. The Big East is 7-1 this week, bringing the total to 11-3.

Wins over Michigan State, Murray State, East Carolina, Kentucky, UCF, Tennessee Tech, Army, Miami (Ohio), Duke, Ohio, and Buffalo.

Losses to Purdue, Ohio State, and New Hampshire (Ugh.)

Next week the Big East has...

WVU/Maryland
Pitt/Nebraska - Winnable or not?
Rutgers/Kent State
UConn/BC - Friday Night
Syracuse/Cincinnati
Louisville/Tulane
USF/South Carolina
I picked Pitt to beat Nebraska at home, and still think they can do it. But the Huskers are going to be pissed aftter losing to Southern Miss at home. That Rutgers/Kent State game scares me to death. UConn/Boston College should be interesting, obviously BC should win but we'll see. Tulane is ok but Louisville should beat them, that South Florida/South Carolina game is going to be a serious battle, that is going to be fun to watch. And UC hooks it up with the 'Cuse in an early Big East showdown. Woo!
09-11-2004 10:03 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

i have a bad feeling about USF at South Carolina.... And the Kent/Rutgers game suddenly looks like anybody's game.... and WVU/MD should be a battle..... and BC looked pretty good against PSU today,while UCONN struggled.. and if Pitt were to lose to Nebraska at home whereas USM beat them in Lincoln, that will negatively reflect on the overall strength of the NBE

we have an opportunity for a huge week next week - but also of a huge disaster if things don't go our way.
09-11-2004 10:19 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I don't expect a young program like USF to beat a team that went down to the wire with #3 today. The Bulls are still a few years away from being able to beat up on good SEC teams.

Quote:we have an opportunity for a huge week next week - but also of a huge disaster if things don't go our way.
WVU/Maryland and Pitt/Nebraska are huge, huge games for the national perception of this league. I don't have a freakin' clue what to expect from UConn and RU for the rest of the season.

Louisville is gonna be a great addition to this league, I expect them to compete right away. And I have a renewed respect for the Bearcats and the direction they are heading in after seeing their performance today, I was worried about them (guess my concern was placed a little too far south). I guess today wasn't a total bust.
09-11-2004 10:37 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Rutgers should be kicked out of the league or at the very least put on double secret probation for losing to UNH. I don't care if new hampshire was the 1-AA Champion of the Universe they are still 1-AA and have no business beating a team that just defeated a middle of the pack Big 10 team last weekend. The NBE had 7 wins and 1 loss this weekend and that loss was HORRIBLE.
09-11-2004 11:01 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

I would not worry about UCONN too much. They play stupid and all suddenly turned it on. They were in the red zone for 4 times and only came away with 6 points. One bad spot by the ACC refs turned into 3 points instead of 7. I think they will be ready for BC, it will be huge. Duke is better than people think. UCONN made some dumb play calls and their special team was not good. Overall, it is a learning experience and they will move on. BC game will be more defining next week.
09-11-2004 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

A lot remains to be seen , but certainly there are question marks about Syracuse and Rutgers. But the program with the biggest question mark was Temple, and they are soon gone.

Every conference needs its Dukes and Vandy's. Don't be so quick to cast out Rutgers. Everyone will experience growing pains.

The win over Miami tonight was very satisfying. I actually got to ring the Victory Bell. That was pretty sweet.
09-11-2004 11:17 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:I would not worry about UCONN too much.
Tough not to be after today's narrow escape, but I do see that UConn looks pretty good when they decide to play. If they can get that intensity and/or execution turned on for 60 consecutive minutes, they'll be a good team this year.

But if the same Huskies that showed up in the first half of Murray State/first 3 quarters of Duke continue to make appearances, it may be a long inaugural season.

Rutgers on the other hand... I've come to a realization about. Schiano is a great recruiter. Rutgers had less talent than a lot of 1-AA teams (maybe I'm exaggerating that) when he came to RU, and now he has some quality football players in New Brunswick. The Scarlet Knights will probably continue to get depth and improved talent over the next few years, but I see a significant obstacle in their progress... gameday coaching. I've seen Schiano make bonehead decisions and I've seen him outcoached several times. Unless he improves significantly in that department, RU is going to suffer the occasional 'What the Heck?' loss and it's going to hamper the program.

I mean, everyone gets outcoached once in a while, but Schiano makes me scratch my head.
09-11-2004 11:40 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

Keep in mind UCONN game could easily been a 14 point victory for the Huskies. Duke intercepted one throw for 62 yards for a TD. Other than that, UCONN stopped them all afternoon except for 1 TD. I think DUKE had 50 yards or less rushing. Overall was like UCONN 377 Yds to DUke 255 yds. Anyway, UCONN should have won this thing easily. For whatever reason, they did not seem inspired. Thanks to the sell out crowd of 40K really making a difference down the stretch. Of course, UCONN has to play a lot better against better competitions.

Just like last year, UCONN played close games with MAC conference teams but end up playing close to teams like NC State and blowing out Wake. I hope they will show up for BCU on national TV. It cant get any bigger than this heated rivalry.
09-12-2004 03:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

"Rutgers should be kicked out of the league or at the very least put on double secret probation for losing to UNH"

-- Poor Rutgers....BE fans have been hearing this Rutgers is going to be a power since the football league was formed...and its just never happened....I don't understand how a school from a state with as much high school talent as that can't put a winning program together....if the state of WV had anywhere near the amount of high school talent that NJ has.....WVU would be a top 15 progam every year like Ohio St or Michigan

-- Just like to point out to everyone that Navy dominated Duke @ Duke last week....while Uconn struggles to beat the Blue Devils at home...I still think Navy can help this league

Jackson
09-12-2004 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Memphis could easily replace Rutgers in football and their basketball program is light years ahead of Rutgers!
09-12-2004 10:01 AM
stinger92860 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Hopefully, BC will take us for granted, but I doubt it. I suspect Obrien wants to beat us badly for personal reasons relatd to ACC departure (lawsuit, treatment of BC, etc) and for recruiting reasons.
09-12-2004 02:03 PM
Absolut Vodka Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:-- Just like to point out to  that Navy everyonedominated Duke @ Duke last week....while Uconn struggles to beat the Blue Devils at home...I still think Navy can help this league

Jackson
I think that game was played at navy
09-13-2004 06:35 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

"I think that game was played at navy "

-- I just looked it up...and your right....the game was in Annapolis.....Navy also had 430 yrds of total offense and 23 first downs.....sounds like they just ran over Duke......but the point remains the same....I think Navy can help this league by being the 9th football only school....that should at least help with scheduling untill the split

Jackson
09-13-2004 06:49 AM
Advertisement

lou-villian Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I agree Jackson we just need a "football" only school for right now and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing navy in the league. Plus they are butt budies with Notre Dame. They are one of those teams that lose and still have national credibility because of there name. In my opinion we don't need to add another all sports school right now just need to get that 9th football only member. As of right now basketball is set, but for a football only I think Navy would be great. Who else would be good for a football only? I can't think of any that isn't all sports school.
09-13-2004 10:06 AM
vthokie Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

The first one I can think of is Ferrum over UNC about 5 years ago.
09-13-2004 10:30 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

It's obvious to me that WVU will have to carry the new BE for a bit. This year, no one seems close.

UL is looking very solid, so maybe they can challenge as conference bellwether when time comes. USF is making strides. I worry about our (UC's) first year in the league because we lose a ton of experience next year.

As for UConn's troubles with Duke, I'm guessing they may have been looking ahead to BC. Considering our team will be a newbie, I'll pass on recommending the expulsion of Rutgers.
09-13-2004 01:31 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.