Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mountain West vs. New Big East
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

As of today, the Mountain West is a better football conference than the New Big East. That can change next week and that can cetainly change next year. And most importantly, the Big East has the all important BCS bid. However, if you look at Sagarin rankings it is obvious that the Mountain West is a better football conference than the New Big East right now.

I'm not posting this as a flame. I'm just trying to show how inequitible the current BCS system is. Why is the Mountain West champion not just as deserving of a BCS bowl game as the Big East champion next year?

P.S. Before you attack me, keep in mind that I've never said the Big East should lose its BCS bid. I'm just saying that the current system is unfair.
09-20-2004 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

3601 Wrote:As of today, the Mountain West is a better football conference than the New Big East.  That can change next week and that can cetainly change next year.  And most importantly, the Big East has the all important BCS bid.  However, if you look at Sagarin rankings it is obvious that the Mountain West is a better football conference than the New Big East right now.

I'm not posting this as a flame.  I'm just trying to show how inequitible the current BCS system is.  Why is the Mountain West champion not just as deserving of a BCS bowl game as the Big East champion next year?

P.S. Before you attack me, keep in mind that I've never said the Big East should lose its BCS bid.   I'm just saying that the current system is unfair.

No flame, but this is getting old. What's the point of C-USA fans CONSTANTLY coming over to the Big East board and posting "this isn't a flame, but your conference sucks, C-USA or the Mountain West is better". You can point out the Sagarin ratings, I can point out that the "New" Big East has two Top 25 teams the Mountain West doesn't. The bottomline, you don't want to be flamed, but what is gained by coming over to this board and singing the praise of the Mountain West? And don't use the excuse "I'm just trying to point out the inequity of the BCS conference" because you could have easily have dropped this on the SEC board. If you seriously wonder why people on this board harbor ill-will towards C-USA and vice versa this is it. Whether you meant it as a flame or not, it came off as one. What if I posted on the C-USA board "this isn't a flame, but the Sagarin ratings show that C-USA is behind the WAC and isn't a good conference"? Do you SERIOUSLY believe that C-USA fans would calmly debate me like you want us to do? Seriously? Why doesn't the Mountain West champion deserve a BCS bid? Doesn't C-USA fans CONSTANTLY rip the Mountain West by bragging about how the C-USA champion always beats the Mountain West champion in the Liberty Bowl? Bottomline, you're going to get flamed 3601, and whether you like it or not. This is flamebait, period, whether you like it or not. You post something like this on a board, get ready for a flame. If you posted on the SEC board that the "Sagarin ratings show that the ACC is a better conference then the SEC" you're going to get a battle started. Period.
09-20-2004 05:15 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

The moutain west is not better in terms of football history, fan support, facilitys,athletic budgets and TV markets

-- On the field...there probably about equal this yr...but they are not in the categories listed above

Jackson
09-20-2004 05:23 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Nevermind, I just looked at the Sagarin ratings and realize this post is a joke. Here's the Sagarin ratings:

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS

1 PAC-10 (A) = 78.81 78.86 ( 1) 10
2 BIG 12 (A) = 77.63 77.58 ( 3) 12
3 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 77.49 77.99 ( 2) 11
4 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 77.35 76.68 ( 4) 12
5 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 76.49 76.49 ( 5) 2
6 BIG TEN (A) = 76.26 76.23 ( 6) 11
7 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 71.79 72.11 ( 7) 8
8 BIG EAST (A) = 70.55 70.50 ( 8) 7
9 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 69.12 68.72 ( 9) 11

So, using that logic, the I-A Independents is better then the Big Ten and deserve a BCS bid. People are in so much of a hurry to run over here and trash the Big East they leave out things like this. I still think that if you put UC, Louisville and South Florida in the Big East in place of Boston College and Temple and, over the course of the season, the Big East would be the 6th best conference. Right now Boston College is ranked #23 in the Sagarin ratings, Temple #104. If you replaced those schools with the departing C-USA schools you would be adding the #28 team (Louisville), the #59 school (Cincinnati), and the #92 team (South Florida). That's much more depth, over a season, for the Big East. That's why comparing the Sagarin ratings now are ridiculous. You can compare rankings because Louisville would still be a Top 25 team right now since they wouldn't have played a conference game in the Big East to get into the Top 25.
09-20-2004 05:29 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I expected as much out of Cat's Claw. You have got to be one of the most Big East sensitive people that I have ever seen. You need to relax. Not once have I ever gotten on this message board or another message board to either belittle the Big East or suggest that the Big East could lose its BCS bid. Never. Memphis could get invited to the Big East tomorrow and I would still bring up the subject. You're in the Big East and the Big East has a BCS bid and nobody's trying to take it away from you, so relax. My 18-month old daughter acts like you when she thinks someone is going to take away her toy.

Jackson, on the other hand, is acting logical about this. He probably knows from reading my past posts that I'm not one of these sour grapes C-USA fans. I'm disappointed that Memphis isn't yet in a BCS conference, but I'm not going to bad-talk the Big East.

Regarding Jackson's post, I totally agree. However, what do think a non-BCS conference will have to do to get a bid the next time they re-up the BCS contract? Do you think that success on the football field alone is enough? Do you think that a successful Mountian West or C-USA could still be left out in the cold because of lack of TV ratings?

Cat's Claw, don't be so defensive. I'm talking about the good of college football. I'm not trying to say that the Big East should lose anything. I'm just questioning whether or not the Mountain West could earn a bid in the future.

If this 5 BCS bowl thing passes, then there are going to be 6 automatic spots and 4 at large spots. Right now there are only 3 at large spots. Who's to say they can't give one of the at-large bids to the Mountain West so that there's 7 automatic bids and 3 at large spots. Would that be so terrible? Or are you one of those poeple that want to slam the door on everyone else just because you finally made the party.

No offense, but Colorado State, Utah or BYU have just as much right to play in a BCS bowl game as Cincinnati or Rutgers.
09-20-2004 05:47 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

3601 Wrote:I expected as much out of Cat's Claw.  You have got to be one of the most Big East sensitive people that I have ever seen.  You need to relax.  Not once have I ever gotten on this message board or another message board to either belittle the Big East or suggest that the Big East could lose its BCS bid.  Never.  Memphis could get invited to the Big East tomorrow and I would still bring up the subject.  You're in the Big East and the Big East has a BCS bid and nobody's trying to take it away from you, so relax.  My 18-month old daughter acts like you when she thinks someone is going to take away her toy.

Jackson, on the other hand, is acting logical about this.  He probably knows from reading my past posts that I'm not one of these sour grapes C-USA fans.  I'm disappointed that Memphis isn't yet in a BCS conference, but I'm not going to bad-talk the Big East.

Regarding Jackson's post, I totally agree.  However, what do think a non-BCS conference will have to do to get a bid the next time they re-up the BCS contract?  Do you think that success on the football field alone is enough?  Do you think that a successful Mountian West or C-USA could still be left out in the cold because of lack of TV ratings?

Cat's Claw, don't be so defensive.  I'm talking about the good of college football.  I'm not trying to say that the Big East should lose anything.  I'm just questioning whether or not the Mountain West could earn a bid in the future. 

If this 5 BCS bowl thing passes, then there are going to be 6 automatic spots and 4 at large spots.  Right now there are only 3 at large spots.  Who's to say they can't give one of the at-large bids to the Mountain West so that there's 7 automatic bids and 3 at large spots.  Would that be so terrible?  Or are you one of those poeple that want to slam the door on everyone else just because you finally made the party.

No offense, but Colorado State, Utah or BYU have just as much right to play in a BCS bowl game as Cincinnati or Rutgers.
Bottomline, it gets old. Every other day we come to the Big East board we have someone from the C-USA board talking about how the Big East will lose their bid, the Big East doesn't deserve it, this conference deserves it, etc. You spend more time worrying about the Big East then C-USA.

I expected as much out of Cat's Claw. You have got to be one of the most Big East sensitive people that I have ever seen. You need to relax. Not once have I ever gotten on this message board or another message board to either belittle the Big East or suggest that the Big East could lose its BCS bid. Never. Memphis could get invited to the Big East tomorrow and I would still bring up the subject. You're in the Big East and the Big East has a BCS bid and nobody's trying to take it away from you, so relax. My 18-month old daughter acts like you when she thinks someone is going to take away her toy.

Oh please. Give it up with the "you're acting like an 18 month year old". You're the same guy that constantly posts anti-Big East articles on this board and disguise it with "before you flame me", what on earth do you expect? I'm not acting like you're trying to take away the Big East's BCS bid, because you can't. Only the BCS can take it away. But your posts are getting old. I'm not the first person to blow up on you. You wonder why the Louisville fans have been all over you. They, like me, respect you as a poster. I don't think you're a troll at all 3601. But do you seriously think it's a good idea to constantly question a conference's worth on that conference's message board? Go over to the SEC board and tell them the ACC is better and see how many "18-month old daughters who thinks someone is going to take away her toy" rip you to shreds. You can turn this into me "Acting like a baby". I'm just pointing out the fact you're on a Big East message board.

Jackson, on the other hand, is acting logical about this. He probably knows from reading my past posts that I'm not one of these sour grapes C-USA fans. I'm disappointed that Memphis isn't yet in a BCS conference, but I'm not going to bad-talk the Big East.

I give it up to Jackson for being calm. I respect him for that. Because it gets old reading posts from C-USA fans constantly talking about how weak the Big East is and how this conference deserves it just as much or more. Why not post that on the C-USA board?

Cat's Claw, don't be so defensive. I'm talking about the good of college football. I'm not trying to say that the Big East should lose anything. I'm just questioning whether or not the Mountain West could earn a bid in the future.

All I'm saying is, what is being gained by constantly bringing it up on the Big East board? Posting it on the Big East board isn't going to change anything. E-mail it to ESPN or a major news outlet.

If this 5 BCS bowl thing passes, then there are going to be 6 automatic spots and 4 at large spots. Right now there are only 3 at large spots. Who's to say they can't give one of the at-large bids to the Mountain West so that there's 7 automatic bids and 3 at large spots. Would that be so terrible? Or are you one of those poeple that want to slam the door on everyone else just because you finally made the party.

I completely agree. You said earlier in the post that you expected this out of me. Well you clearly haven't read all of my posts because I constantly brought up on the Cincinnati boards with xubrew how horrible the BCS is. I talk about how a playoff system is a must. I was even talking to xubrew about a playoff system, in theory, that would work. One thing I didn't do was constantly go over to the C-USA board and talk about how weak the conference is. I don't hate C-USA, I don't hate C-USA fans. We're STILL in C-USA for crying out loud. But seriously 3601, if someone was on the C-USA board constantly talking down C-USA how upset would you be? It's not even about the BCS, it's just about constantly seeing a post from a non-Big East fan that is anti-Big East. Vague quotes in an article. Sagarin ratings that mean nothing after 3 weeks. Saying one conference deserves a bid over another when one conference isn't even fully assembled yet. That's my point. I'm not flaming you. But I'm telling you that's going to get you flamed at some point.
09-20-2004 06:02 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Actually, everybody has a right to play in a BCS bowl. But pointing out that the Mountain West has a higher Sagarin rating then the Big East after the 3rd week doesn't help matter at all.
09-20-2004 06:07 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

"Regarding Jackson's post, I totally agree. However, what do think a non-BCS conference will have to do to get a bid the next time they re-up the BCS contract? Do you think that success on the football field alone is enough? Do you think that a successful Mountian West or C-USA could still be left out in the cold because of lack of TV ratings?"

-- Its going to be very hard for a non-BCS league to get the auto bid....I think the best chance of that was mentioned last week by another poster.....the idea that the best football schools in the WAC and MWC would combine and ditch the others.....I think a conference of Utah, BYU, Colorado ST, Fresno St, and Boise St with some others would have some appeal....but the WAC and MWC have to many bottom feeders between them to make any noise on there own

-- The chances of CUSA getting an auto bid are very thin.....the idea of giving them one would directly effect three major conferences: the Big 12, SEC and ACC....and those three conferernce will not support CUSA in any effort to a get a BCS....the BE will also be against such a move because they will want to pick of CUSAs best in the future....to make a long story short....the chances for CUSA are very thin....

-- I can be calm about such issues because I know the BE's BCS bid is relativly safe....I think conferences like the Big 10 and SEC who hate the ACC see the BE keeping its bid as a sort of a buffer to prevent the ACC from getting to powerful and dominating the NE....If BE football were to fall fat on its face....some kind of arrangment will be reached with two major Indys with obvious BE connections(Notre Dame and Navy) whos wins have that cateogry ahead of the Big 10.....everything on the BE side will be fine.....its only a matter of time
09-20-2004 07:26 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

-- Its going to be very hard for a non-BCS league to get the auto bid....I think the best chance of that was mentioned last week by another poster.....the idea that the best football schools in the WAC and MWC would combine and ditch the others.....I think a conference of Utah, BYU, Colorado ST, Fresno St, and Boise St with some others would have some appeal....but the WAC and MWC have to many bottom feeders between them to make any noise on there own

Exactly. First off, there is no way in the world the WAC and Mountain West would merge. There is to much bad feelings between the conferences. And the Mountain West isn't going to expand. They literally had to twist the arms of the presidents to get them to add TCU.

-- The chances of CUSA getting an auto bid are very thin.....the idea of giving them one would directly effect three major conferences: the Big 12, SEC and ACC....and those three conferernce will not support CUSA in any effort to a get a BCS....the BE will also be against such a move because they will want to pick of CUSAs best in the future....to make a long story short....the chances for CUSA are very thin....

Exactly. C-USA has been considered the best non-BCS conference in the country for awhile. That's why they had input in the BCS despite not being a BCS conference. If that didn't get us/them a BCS bid nothing will.

-- I can be calm about such issues because I know the BE's BCS bid is relativly safe....I think conferences like the Big 10 and SEC who hate the ACC see the BE keeping its bid as a sort of a buffer to prevent the ACC from getting to powerful and dominating the NE....If BE football were to fall fat on its face....some kind of arrangment will be reached with two major Indys with obvious BE connections(Notre Dame and Navy) whos wins have that cateogry ahead of the Big 10.....everything on the BE side will be fine.....its only a matter of time

I read an article, I wish I could find it, where it was stated that the Big 12 and Big Ten were huge allies of the Big East, with the Big 12 being the biggest. It was insinuated that the SEC was an ally of convenience for the Big East. They weren't so much an ally of the Big East as much as an enemy to the ACC. Those conferences were reportedly irate with the ACC, mainly the Big 12 and SEC. That's why comparing the Big East and MWC and talking about them losing their BCS bid is a moot point.
09-20-2004 07:33 PM
bigbadcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Cusa and the mwc are not bcs conferences. The Big East is a bcs conference. These cusa clowns are so jealous they just can't help themselves.
09-20-2004 08:20 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

But hey, they aren't coming here to talk smack or start trouble, they're just stating that the Big East is not BCS worthy (or less BCS worthy than MWC or whatever). 05-nono
09-20-2004 08:25 PM
Advertisement

ice750 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbs

i love these arguements about the other non-bcs conferences being worthy to play for a bcs bowl or are more worthy than the big east

tell me in the last 20 years when one of your teams played for a division 1A national title game

also the bcs is all about television exposure and money..

and there is no way the bcs is going to leave the big east when the big east has 25% of the television market in the united states
09-21-2004 05:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

Beale3601,
I'll be honest. The MWC is better than this years Big East with a rebuilding Syracuse and Pittsburgh programs. And with a UCONN program that just joined the Big East. So what does that prove? WVU still gets the automatic BCS bid, play in a News Years Day Bowl and if they don't lose any games play for a National Championship.
Time for you to be honest. You take a nationally ranked team like WVU, add another nationally ranked team in Louisville and thats twice as many teams as CUSA and the MWC have ranked TOGETHER. The WAC is a better league than CUSA or the MWC. With all the team movements, thanks to CUSA, this season is shot anyway as far as comparing conferences goes.
Since we are being honest, the bottomline is the Big East and MWC got stronger from the conference realignments and CUSA got weaker. CUSA took the bottom of the barrel WAC teams. At least the Big East took the best teams from CUSA. If CUSA had taken Boise State or Fresno, CUSA might have a chance but with SMU, UTEP and Tulsa, CUSA just helped the WAC get rid of its dead weight.
CJ
09-21-2004 06:41 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

ice750 Wrote:tell me in the last 20 years when one of your teams played for a division 1A national title game
BYU...1984 National Champs.
09-21-2004 08:40 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

nflsucks Wrote:But hey, they aren't coming here to talk smack or start trouble, they're just stating that the Big East is not BCS worthy (or less BCS worthy than MWC or whatever). 05-nono
I have never stated anywhere that the Big East doesn't deserve its BCS bid or that the Big East will lose its BCS bid.
09-21-2004 08:42 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I also think that the Mountain West is a much stronger conference than C-USA. I don't think C-USA is anywhere close to deserving a BCS bid right now.

I can understand why y'all get fed up with folks like TopCoog always coming over here and posting negative Big East stuff, but please don't put me in that category. Trust me when I say I don't have ulterior motives. I'm not one of the Sour Grapes Gang.
09-21-2004 08:45 AM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

CardinalJim Wrote:Since we are being honest, the bottomline is the Big East and MWC got stronger from the conference realignments and CUSA got weaker. CUSA took the bottom of the barrel WAC teams. At least the Big East took the best teams from CUSA. If CUSA had taken Boise State or Fresno, CUSA might have a chance but with SMU, UTEP and Tulsa, CUSA just helped the WAC get rid of its dead weight.
CJ
I don't neccessarily disagree.
09-21-2004 08:46 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

I have never stated anywhere that the Big East doesn't deserve its BCS bid or that the Big East will lose its BCS bid. [/quote]
No you just post these stupid lets be honest threads all over The Big East boards. Why not move them to the CUSA board where they belong.
CJ
09-21-2004 08:47 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Jackson1011 Wrote:-- I can be calm about such issues because I know the BE's BCS bid is relativly safe
Exactly. Please try to explain this to Cat's Claw so that he doesn't have an aneurism everytime someone makes a reasonable post on this topic.
09-21-2004 08:48 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

bigbadcat Wrote:Cusa and the mwc are not bcs conferences. The Big East is a bcs conference. These cusa clowns are so jealous they just can't help themselves.
Obviously, you haven't read any of my past posts.
09-21-2004 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.