Casteel's unit steps up in WVU win
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Casteel's unit steps up in WVU win

By Paul Schofield
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 20, 2004

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- When Jeff Casteel played football at California (Pa.) University, he never received a game ball.
After No. 6 West Virginia defeated Maryland 19-16 in overtime Saturday, the Mountaineers' defensive coordinator received one of two handed out by West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez. Quarterback Rasheed Marshall got the other one.

Rodriguez praised Casteel and his staff, and the defensive players for their performance against Maryland.

"The game ball goes to a whole group of guys, the players and the coaches," Casteel said with a chuckle. "We'll put this one up in the staff room."

The Mountaineers forced five turnovers, three interceptions and two fumbles, in the game. They pressured quarterback Joel Statham and forced the first-year starter to make some poor decisions.

Statham completed 9 of 20 passes for 108 yards. He did throw one touchdown pass.

"We battled them throughout the game," Casteel said. "They worked so hard; I'm real proud of them. The will to win was real strong."

In previous games against the Terrapins, the Mountaineers gave up big plays. Maryland had one big play Saturday, a 40-yard run by Sammy Maldonado, when WVU defensive back Anthony Mims missed a tackle.

The Mountaineers also kept Steve Suter, the Terrapins' kick-return threat, under wraps. Suter had a 48-yard kickoff return, but did little else in the game.

Fooled you

When West Virginia lined up with a third-and-4 at the Maryland 7, the Mountaineers called a dummy play.

"We wanted to see what defense they were in," Rodriguez said. "When we saw they were in man defense, we called the slant. Rasheed threw a great pass, and Chris Henry, who caught the game-winning touchdown pass, ran a great route. He sold it well, and the defensive back bit on the fade route."

Rodriguez ran a hurry-up offense throughout the first half, but he started to huddle the offense as the game went on.

"I wasn't sure if they knew out signals, so we wanted to make sure of the play," he said. "We also wanted to give the defense a break."

Rodriguez said he gave Marshall a game ball because of the way he stayed focused during the game.

"He hit some big passes late when we needed them the most," Rodriguez said. "I'm proud of him."

Gotcha

During the fourth quarter, Maryland was faced with a fourth-and-1 at the West Virginia 44. It seemed like the Terrapins were trying to get West Virginia's defense to jump.

With the time running down, West Virginia nose guard Ben Lynch jumped offsides. Lynch said linebacker Adam Lehnortt pushed him.

Maryland center Kyle Schmitt (Derry Area) said a slight flex on his grip of the football got the defense to jump.

"That's the second time I got a defense to jump offsides," Schmitt said.

Maryland, however, didn't capitalize on the break as Nick Novak missed a 49-yard field goal.

Casteel said the defense has to stay focused on those types of plays. But he said he wants them to stay aggressive.

Cheap stuff

Schmitt got into a shoving match with West Virginia defensive back Adam "Pac-Man" Jones at the end of a run during the first quarter.

Schmitt said he was trying to protect his quarterback, Statham, who was tackled by Jones.

Schmitt said he got mad when Jones spit in his face.

"I got him with a good forearm during the tackle when he was returning an interception," Schmitt said. "I jumped after the tackle and asked him how he felt now."

Jones was shaken up on the play but returned.

Injury update

Rodriguez said that running back Kay-Jay Harris and Lynch survived the game without further injury, and they should be ready for Saturday's contest against James Madison.

"I was surprised Kay-Jay carried so many times," Rodriguez said. "He wasn't 100 percent, and he didn't have that burst of speed, but he was probably as physical that we've seen him."

He said Lynch probably didn't have the strength that he would have liked in the shoulder, but he should be better next week.

Lynch said he took pain medicine before the game.

Rodriguez said that guard Jeff Berk tweaked his knee and will be limited at practice this week.

Paul Schofield can be reached at pschofield@tribweb.com or (724) 853-2109.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I was on the State Championship football team with Jeff Casteel. 03-wink (Class A)
09-22-2004 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

I'm glad that offsides jump didn't lead to anything. I figured everyone and his mother knew Maryland was trying to do that.

As the season progresses, are you guys concerned about your special teams? Watching the U-Md game, and I'll admit I didn't see all of it, seems like that's your weakness, if anything.
09-22-2004 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.