Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama Campaign Not Using Verification System
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Obama Campaign Not Using Verification System
If no calls you on it the first time then it must be OK to do it a second time.

The Obama campaign is not employing the widely used credit card address verification system to check whether the address submitted by a donor matches the address tied to the credit card, an omission that might allow supporters to use a fake identity when contributing.

The practice could potentially allow donors in possession of illicitly obtained credit card numbers to exceed the campaign limit, and to permit overseas supporters to contribute.

The Mitt Romney campaign does require use of the system and asks the donor to include the three or four numbers- sometimes known as the “CVV” code – on the back of the card. The code helps determine whether the donor is in possession of the card.

The Obama campaign donor page does not have a box for entering the CVV code and does not appear to reject donors who lists addresses different from those attached to the cards.

It’s not clear if the Obama campaign has some kind of backup system that would mitigate the need for the address verification system. The campaign did not respond to a request for comment. But what is clear is that it is failing to use the most basic tool employed by businesses and groups around the world that accept credit card payments online.

John Hinderaker over at Power Line blog tested the Obama system, donating under the name “Illegal Contributor” and listing his address as “Cell Block 13″ in the State Penitentiary.” He said his employer was the “Minnesota Penal System” and listed his occupation as “inmate.”

Not only was his $3 donation – made with his real credit card number – welcomed, but he was asked to set up his own grassroots fundraising page so he could induce others – why not the entire cell block 13? – to contribute as well.

Trying the same experiment over on the Romney website likely would not work, because the address verification system would determine that there is no “Illegal Contributor” living at the State Penitentiary associated with the credit card.

The blog Hot Air reported in 2008 that the Obama campaign was doing the same thing then.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/04...ification/
04-05-2012 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Obama Campaign Not Using Verification System
Asking for a CVN is just a right wing ploy for voter suppression.
04-05-2012 07:29 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Honest question, I really just don't know, is it hard for someone who steals your credit card number to get the CVN number? I assume if your number is being stolen, it's from an online site / computer, and every online site I buy something from, requires both anyways? I'd assume if they stole one, they'd have the rest of the information, no?
04-05-2012 09:23 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I posted this story a few days ago. Came to the same conclusion, too.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=564448
04-05-2012 09:46 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I can't stand Obama..but....Mountain meet Molehill.03-lmfao
04-05-2012 11:26 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
I can't stand Obama..but....Mountain meet Molehill.
04-06-2012 01:20 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
I can't stand Obama..but....Mountain meet Molehill.03-lmfao
04-06-2012 01:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.