Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bye-bye Belmont!!!
Bookmark and Share
BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
Bye-bye Belmont!!!
Like every other ETSU employee and JC resident, the word "Belmont" sends a men's-basketball-shiver through my veins. However, I have done my homework and (at least in my mind) created a cumulative ETSU victory for the entire 2011-12 sports season over BU (Ahhh, I feel better now). After hearing of our men's AND women's tennis smack-down over Belmont this weekend, I thought I'd look back (and forward) on all of our 2011-12 sports schedules to see how we've done/will probably do against the "Bad-News-Bruins." They seem to win over us a whole bunch (not just in men's basketball); but, from an all-sports perspective, we do our own fair share of winning over them. I, for one, am glad to see them go . . . though be it with a bit of jeleousy over their conference upgrade!

Fall Sports:

Women's Soccer at BU: ETSU 2, BU 1 (Despite their new coach being our old coach from the past few seasons.)

Men's Soccer at BU: ETSU 1, BU 3 (Yeah, this was the game that knocked us out of the nat'l rankings; but WE, not Belmont, made it to the conference finals. They didn't even make conference play-offs!)

Volleyball at BU: ETSU 1, BU 3 (Why did we ever let them hire Dean Webb away from us? Maybe he left because football was dropped and he grew afraid that the "money saving" wisdom of Stanton/Mullins would target ETSU volleyball next?)

Volleyball vs. BU: ETSU 0, BU 3 (We would have faired better if we played them twice on the road!)

Men's Cross Country: ETSU finished #6 in A-Sun, BU finished #3

Women's Cross Country: ETSU finished #8 in A-Sun, BU finished #3

Winter Sports:

Men's Basketball vs. BU: ETSU 70, BU 82 (I was actually surprised we played them that close!)

Men's Basketball at BU: ETSU 58, BU 80 (Now THAT'S more like it . . . the Byrd-over-Bartow supremacy we all know and love so well.)

Women's Basketball vs. BU: ETSU 76, BU 88 (Really, we usually beat them . . . just a down year for Lady Buc basketball.)

Women's Basketball at BU: ETSU 44, BU 49 (Almost had them beat in a defensive struggle!)

Men's Indoor Track & Field: ETSU finished #2 in A-Sun, BU finished #6 (Go Bucs!)

Women's Indoor Track & Field: ETSU finished #4 in A-Sun, BU finished #7 (Go Bucs!)

Spring Sports:
(Spring...turning out to be a nice time of year.)

Men's Outdoor Track & Field: ETSU currently #2 in A-Sun rankings, BU #4 (Yep. We'll finish ahead.)

Women's Outdoor Track & Field: ETSU currently #4 in A-Sun rankings, BU #6 (I'll call it . . . we'll finish ahead.)

Men's Tennis: ETSU 7, BU 0 (Go Bucs!)

Women's Tennis: ETSU 7, BU 0 (Go Bucs!)

Men's Golf: ETSU ranked #126, BU ranked #188 (And, most likely, will stay that way.)

Women's Golf: ETSU ranked #66, BU ranked #191 (That margin will grow.)

Baseball:
Game #1: ETSU 2, BU 8
Game #2: ETSU 8, BU 3
Game #3: ETSU 3, BU 4
(How dare they!!! At our new stadium, no less!)

Softball: DH scheduled for Friday May 4 in Nashville. (BE THERE!!! Even though our girls are currently {and uncharacteristicly} LAST in the A-Sun, BU is only 1 spot in front of us. We WILL beat them "Big Score - 0" as always. It will make for a nice weekend trip to Nashville for the win over BU and to also see the Bucs win over Lipscomb the very next day. Maybe meet-up and celebrate with ETSU's own Kenny Chesney at The Grand 'Ole Opry later that evening!)

Let's not forget:

Cheerleading: ETSU, finished #2 in College-4 division of the Cheersport Nationals. BU, I'm sorry . . . I didn't see that they even made the field! (Also, our girls are prettier!)

Add it all up (including Cheerleading and my Spring Sport predictions):

ETSU 12, BU 11

Go Bucs! Bye-bye Belmont!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 03:34 AM by BucSinceTheSixties.)
04-01-2012 02:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Bye-bye Belmont!!!
(04-01-2012 02:54 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  Men's Basketball vs. BU: ETSU 70, BU 82 (I was actually surprised we played them that close!)

Men's Basketball at BU: ETSU 58, BU 80 (Now THAT'S more like it . . . the Byrd-over-Bartow supremacy we all know and love so well.)

Plus you forgot Tournament Belmont 69 ETSU 61.

So 0-3 in basketball and really by far the most important

Thing on your list.. and spirit squad? really?? lol how did

our chess club do?
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 07:11 AM by RodShaw2.)
04-01-2012 07:08 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
That's the thing. Only David Mullins and Paul Stanton think that anybody cares about women's golf superiority.

Please spare the propaganda drivel now about "they all try hard" and "they are student athletes all in the same boat."

That's fine. And has there even so much as been one fan who has ever come out to a women's golf meet?

No. Joe Avento doesn't count.
04-01-2012 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(04-01-2012 02:54 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  Softball: DH scheduled for Friday May 4 in Nashville. (BE THERE!!! Even though our girls are currently {and uncharacteristicly} LAST in the A-Sun, BU is only 1 spot in front of us. We WILL beat them "Big Score - 0" as always. It will make for a nice weekend trip to Nashville for the win over BU and to also see the Bucs win over Lipscomb the very next day. Maybe meet-up and celebrate with ETSU's own Kenny Chesney at The Grand 'Ole Opry later that evening!)

"Uncharacteristically?" They were 3-17 in conference last year! Mangrum left a mess for Irwin and he's going to need at least another year to sort it out, if not two. They're at least competitive on a game-by-game basis this year (14 of their 30 games have been decided by one run; they're 4-10 in those games), where they were unwatchable last spring.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect them to beat the ever-loving bajeezus out of Belmont, because Belmont is hilariously awful, and the Bucs are fun to watch this year, but this team hasn't seen a winning season in ages. Lipscomb will blow them away.

This whole thread just reeks of grasping at straws. Belmont owned us in the sports that matter most in the national conscience. I'm hoping that their departure serves as a cue for our own exodus, and perhaps an opportunity to build some forward momentum in men's basketball on our way out.
04-01-2012 09:46 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(04-01-2012 02:54 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  Like every other ETSU employee and JC resident, the word "Belmont" sends a men's-basketball-shiver through my veins. However, I have done my homework and (at least in my mind) created a cumulative ETSU victory for the entire 2011-12 sports season over BU (Ahhh, I feel better now). After hearing of our men's AND women's tennis smack-down over Belmont this weekend, I thought I'd look back (and forward) on all of our 2011-12 sports schedules to see how we've done/will probably do against the "Bad-News-Bruins." They seem to win over us a whole bunch (not just in men's basketball); but, from an all-sports perspective, we do our own fair share of winning over them. I, for one, am glad to see them go . . . though be it with a bit of jeleousy over their conference upgrade!

Fall Sports:

Women's Soccer at BU: ETSU 2, BU 1 (Despite their new coach being our old coach from the past few seasons.)

Men's Soccer at BU: ETSU 1, BU 3 (Yeah, this was the game that knocked us out of the nat'l rankings; but WE, not Belmont, made it to the conference finals. They didn't even make conference play-offs!)

Volleyball at BU: ETSU 1, BU 3 (Why did we ever let them hire Dean Webb away from us? Maybe he left because football was dropped and he grew afraid that the "money saving" wisdom of Stanton/Mullins would target ETSU volleyball next?)

Volleyball vs. BU: ETSU 0, BU 3 (We would have faired better if we played them twice on the road!)

Winter Sports:

Men's Basketball vs. BU: ETSU 70, BU 82 (I was actually surprised we played them that close!)

Women's Basketball vs. BU: ETSU 76, BU 88 (Really, we usually beat them . . . just a down year for Lady Buc basketball.)

Women's Basketball at BU: ETSU 44, BU 49 (Almost had them beat in a defensive struggle!)

Men's Indoor Track & Field: ETSU finished #2 in A-Sun, BU finished #6 (Go Bucs!)

Women's Indoor Track & Field: ETSU finished #4 in A-Sun, BU finished #7 (Go Bucs!)

Spring Sports:

Men's Outdoor Track & Field: ETSU currently #2 in A-Sun rankings, BU #4 (Yep. We'll finish ahead.)

Women's Outdoor Track & Field: ETSU currently #4 in A-Sun rankings, BU #6 (I'll call it . . . we'll finish ahead.)

Men's Golf: ETSU ranked #126, BU ranked #188 (And, most likely, will stay that way.)

Baseball:

Softball: DH scheduled for Friday May 4 in Nashville. (BE THERE!!! Even though our girls are currently {and uncharacteristicly} LAST in the A-Sun, BU is only 1 spot in front of us. We WILL beat them "Big Score - 0" as always. It will make for a nice weekend trip to Nashville for the win over BU and to also see the Bucs win over Lipscomb the very next day. Maybe meet-up and celebrate with ETSU's own Kenny Chesney at The Grand 'Ole Opry later that evening!)

Let's not forget:

Cheerleading: ETSU, finished #2 in College-4 division of the Cheersport Nationals. BU, I'm sorry . . . I didn't see that they even made the field! (Also, our girls are prettier!)

ETSU 12, BU 11

Belmont is to be congratulated on their athletic success, especially in basketball. While ETSU has been playing Division I basketball for 54 years, Belmont has been in the game no more than 15 years (can't find the exact no., they joined the A-Sun in 2001) Shame on ETSU for having to now look up to Belmont with envy. I find it infuriating that ETSU sees Belmont's departure from the conference as a positive. If holding an edge on Division II teams for a few years after their transition to Division I is ETSU's standard of success, then we're in deep trouble athletically and psychologically. All the schools that have caught and passed ETSU in athletics these past few decades is humiliating, to say the least. With Belmont gone, who are we gonna be looking up to now with envy as thay move on past us? All this means is that ETSU has no vision and certainly no plan to improve its athletic program. For a mid-major that is spending $11 million annually on this "athletic model", it is a scandal and the height of incompetence and mismanagement. I can find nothing to celebrate with Belmont's departure. It only shines a brighter light on ETSU's sorry athletic situation. Noland would have to be in a coma to miss this and not want to fix it.
04-02-2012 01:17 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2012 01:17 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:54 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  Like every other ETSU employee and JC resident, the word "Belmont" sends a men's-basketball-shiver through my veins. However, I have done my homework and (at least in my mind) created a cumulative ETSU victory for the entire 2011-12 sports season over BU (Ahhh, I feel better now). After hearing of our men's AND women's tennis smack-down over Belmont this weekend, I thought I'd look back (and forward) on all of our 2011-12 sports schedules to see how we've done/will probably do against the "Bad-News-Bruins." They seem to win over us a whole bunch (not just in men's basketball); but, from an all-sports perspective, we do our own fair share of winning over them. I, for one, am glad to see them go . . . though be it with a bit of jeleousy over their conference upgrade!

Fall Sports:

Winter Sports:

Spring Sports:

Baseball:

Let's not forget:

ETSU 12, BU 11

Belmont is to be congratulated on their athletic success, especially in basketball. While ETSU has been playing Division I basketball for 54 years, Belmont has been in the game no more than 15 years (can't find the exact no., they joined the A-Sun in 2001) Shame on ETSU for having to now look up to Belmont with envy. I find it infuriating that ETSU sees Belmont's departure from the conference as a positive. If holding an edge on Division II teams for a few years after their transition to Division I is ETSU's standard of success, then we're in deep trouble athletically and psychologically. All the schools that have caught and passed ETSU in athletics these past few decades is humiliating, to say the least. With Belmont gone, who are we gonna be looking up to now with envy as thay move on past us? All this means is that ETSU has no vision and certainly no plan to improve its athletic program. For a mid-major that is spending $11 million annually on this "athletic model", it is a scandal and the height of incompetence and mismanagement. I can find nothing to celebrate with Belmont's departure. It only shines a brighter light on ETSU's sorry athletic situation. Noland would have to be in a coma to miss this and not want to fix it.

Your argument doesn't quite make sense. Belmont is not a D-II school any longer. Sure they once were, but that means very little in 2012. One of the reasons they have a better basketball program is they spend more money on it than ETSU does. About half a million more. They also pay Byrd over $500k a year to keep him. On the original wins/loss list that started this thread you can pretty much look at spending and get your answer. We spend tons more on tennis than they too, so we crush them. Similar story for the golf teams. They spend more on volleyball and it shows.

It is reasonable to complain about Belmont having a better basketball program. Blaming the "athletics model" doesn't make sense though when Belmont has essentially the same model.
04-02-2012 02:49 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(04-02-2012 02:49 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 01:17 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

Fall Sports:

Winter Sports:

Spring Sports:

Baseball:

Let's not forget:

ETSU 12, BU 11

Your argument doesn't quite make sense. Belmont is not a D-II school any longer. Sure they once were, but that means very little in 2012. One of the reasons they have a better basketball program is they spend more money on it than ETSU does. About half a million more. They also pay Byrd over $500k a year to keep him. On the original wins/loss list that started this thread you can pretty much look at spending and get your answer. We spend tons more on tennis than they too, so we crush them. Similar story for the golf teams. They spend more on volleyball and it shows.

It is reasonable to complain about Belmont having a better basketball program. Blaming the "athletics model" doesn't make sense though when Belmont has essentially the same model.
Spending half a million more on basketball isn't exactly the same model. Tons more on tennis, now that's what I'm talking about with the ETSU model --- you know, that famous Stanton/Mullins intercollegiate athletic finance model we've had since 2003, the one that NOT A SINGLE other state regional university has adopted. We can have a perfect record against their tennis team,volleyball team, et al --- but who gives a rats behind except Dave and a few others. What counts is BASKETBALL, and they own us as the original post started with. And, gee, I didn't know they were no longer Division II, thanks for the update.

I stick with my point. If ETSU, who has been playing Division I basketball for 54 years, has to hang its current success in basketball on staying ahead of transition schools for a few years and celebrate when the better ones leave the conference after catching and passing us, then we're in deep trouble with no vision, no plan, and no clue. And, this is old news to say the least.
04-03-2012 07:56 AM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-01-2012 09:46 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:54 AM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  Softball: DH scheduled for Friday May 4 in Nashville. (BE THERE!!! Even though our girls are currently {and uncharacteristicly} LAST in the A-Sun, BU is only 1 spot in front of us. We WILL beat them "Big Score - 0" as always. It will make for a nice weekend trip to Nashville for the win over BU and to also see the Bucs win over Lipscomb the very next day. Maybe meet-up and celebrate with ETSU's own Kenny Chesney at The Grand 'Ole Opry later that evening!)

"Uncharacteristically?" They were 3-17 in conference last year! Mangrum left a mess for Irwin and he's going to need at least another year to sort it out, if not two. They're at least competitive on a game-by-game basis this year (14 of their 30 games have been decided by one run; they're 4-10 in those games), where they were unwatchable last spring.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect them to beat the ever-loving bajeezus out of Belmont, because Belmont is hilariously awful, and the Bucs are fun to watch this year, but this team hasn't seen a winning season in ages. Lipscomb will blow them away.

This whole thread just reeks of grasping at straws. Belmont owned us in the sports that matter most in the national conscience. I'm hoping that their departure serves as a cue for our own exodus, and perhaps an opportunity to build some forward momentum in men's basketball on our way out.

Both these teams suck so bad I am sure they will figure out how to both lose when they play each other. ETSU 10-22 and 0-6 in conference 6 game losing streak and 1-6 on the road. Belmont 8-26 3-5 in conference and 5-4 at home. Since the 2 games are at Belmont I am giving them the edge in this battle of heavyweights
04-07-2012 10:21 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Well this was way off the mark. Belmont swept the Lady Bucs. Because it turned out it was the Lady Bucs who were hilariously awful.
11-38 (1-17 in conference, Stetson coach should probably be fired for that win) lost last 8 games of season and 22 of last 23.
Now that is the true definition of Suck.
05-07-2012 08:14 AM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
(05-07-2012 08:14 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Well this was way off the mark. Belmont swept the Lady Bucs. Because it turned out it was the Lady Bucs who were hilariously awful.
11-38 (1-17 in conference, Stetson coach should probably be fired for that win) lost last 8 games of season and 22 of last 23.

I hadn't realized that but that seems like a very Stetson thing to do, lose to a winless team. Maybe it's a charitable donation and a tax writeoff.

I looked up the standings and results and found that Stetson went 9-9 in the A-Sun by going 5-4 against the teams better than them and 4-5 against the teams below them. That's just bass-ackwards.
05-07-2012 02:14 PM
Advertisement

BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
(05-07-2012 08:14 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

If it's any consolation, Belmont is joining ETSU, North Florida, and Mercer as part of the non-tournament crew. For Belmont, that's typical. For ETSU, I'm going with the old "it's a re-building year" excuse.
05-07-2012 03:10 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
If anyone actually cared about softball, it would be an outrage that the program has actually regressed after they built the new stadium for them.
05-07-2012 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2012 04:40 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  If anyone actually cared about softball, it would be an outrage that the program has actually regressed after they built the new stadium for them.

It's too early to make that judgement. Mangrum was an absolutely horrendous coach and the current team is still mostly made up of her players. Once the team is made up of Irwin's recruits, if it's still this bad I'd agree about the outrage.
05-10-2012 04:37 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2012 08:14 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Well this was way off the mark. Belmont swept the Lady Bucs. Because it turned out it was the Lady Bucs who were hilariously awful.

Funnily enough, they completely fell apart not long after I said that. 03-banghead I don't know if it was the significantly better pitching they were facing in the A-Sun or if them just not getting any good breaks all season finally got to them or what, but man, I didn't see the worst season in the program's history coming at all. Yikes.

Irwin has some good prospects coming in. They need a good catcher (Irwin got one, I think she's 6'2" or something), good second and third basemen, a center fielder, and a pitcher. I think Irwin addressed most of that stuff. I know he got a JUCO pitcher, but I can't remember what else he got.

They probably won't be in the tournament next year, either, but they should at least put up a good fight. Hopefully this is just growing pains and not a sign that futility is here to stay.
05-11-2012 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.