Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

max must have missed this day in law school
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
max must have missed this day in law school
Or all that talk of science and "facts" confused him.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/t...ience.html
03-30-2012 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
RE: max must have missed this day in law school
I know about Daubert and the APA. What's your point? They're opining on the EPA's conclusion that air pollution kills and their method for determining how many are being killed, which is debateable, by applying a federal standard for evidence introduced in federal court to an administrative agency which is not even subject to the federal rules of evidence and more to the point, which has nothing to do with global warming. They're correct that the standard of review for administrative decisions is arbitrary and capricious, but whether they're meeting the federal rules of evidence standard in their own proceedings isn't relevant and certainly isn't dispositive. This is beyond stupid on so many levels. They're idiots, you're an idiot.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 10:47 AM by Max Power.)
03-30-2012 10:46 AM
DrTorch Offline

(03-30-2012 10:46 AM)Max Power Wrote:  I know about Daubert and the APA. What's your point?

That you're an idiot. Same as usual.
03-30-2012 10:59 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-30-2012 10:46 AM)Max Power Wrote:  an administrative agency which is not even subject to the federal rules of evidence

I think you've correctly identified the problem. Administrative agencies pretty much are not subject to anything, which is why they are unaccountable bureaucrats.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 11:15 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-30-2012 11:14 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

They're always subject to having their enabling statute repealed.

Admin agencies are set up to write rules and enforce those rules because Congress and the courts don't have the time and resources to debate and write all those regulations and hold full blown trials on every matter themselves. If Congress doesn't like how an administrative agency is handling something specifically, they can always pass a law addressing that specific way they're handling it.
03-30-2012 11:19 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Max, just curious, are you billing your clients/firm for the hours you spend in this board? 05-nono 04-cheers
03-30-2012 12:31 PM
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I do PI work, and like most PI lawyers I don't bill hourly but rather take 1/3. I work on my cases as much as I need to when I need to and some days are slower than others.
03-30-2012 01:19 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(03-30-2012 01:19 PM)Max Power Wrote:  I do PI work, and like most PI lawyers I don't bill hourly but rather take 1/3. I work on my cases as much as I need to when I need to and some days are slower than others.

You realize how many people could have slipped in Wal Mart in the time you've wasted bandwidth on here?

I will say that you being a PI lawyer is absolutely no surprise whatsoever.
03-30-2012 01:37 PM
DrTorch Offline

(03-30-2012 11:19 AM)Max Power Wrote:  They're always subject to having their enabling statute repealed.

Yeah, like that's going to happen. Not when people like you buy into the nonsense, even as you openly admit they're allowed to generate nonsense.
03-30-2012 03:47 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-30-2012 11:19 AM)Max Power Wrote:  They're always subject to having their enabling statute repealed.

Admin agencies are set up to write rules and enforce those rules because Congress and the courts don't have the time and resources to debate and write all those regulations and hold full blown trials on every matter themselves. If Congress doesn't like how an administrative agency is handling something specifically, they can always pass a law addressing that specific way they're handling it.

Yeah. Right. Sure. And Big Brother always has your best interests at heart.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 10:30 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-30-2012 10:08 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(03-30-2012 01:37 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  
(03-30-2012 01:19 PM)Max Power Wrote:  I do PI work, and like most PI lawyers I don't bill hourly but rather take 1/3. I work on my cases as much as I need to when I need to and some days are slower than others.

You realize how many people could have slipped in Wal Mart in the time you've wasted bandwidth on here?

I will say that you being a PI lawyer is absolutely no surprise whatsoever.
You do realize that Wal-Mart has top notch attorneys and very deep pockets to pay the best, right? It is VERY hard to win a case against Wal-Mart-especially in a slip and fall accident.

PS. This is not meant as a slam on Max or his quality as an attorney.
03-31-2012 01:46 AM
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

Spot on and no offense taken Robert. I've never sued Wal Mart and probably wouldn't take a Wal Mart case unless it's 100% clear cut and the plaintiff is sympathetic. Reasons being:

-The most skilled lawyers, who work together and specialize in defending Wal Mart
-Flooding me with discovery and generally being a dick about every issue that comes up, and never offering settlements except when discovery's over, liability's clear and my client will be liked by a jury (and even then they're low and probably won't cover the medical bills)
-Extremely good public reputation, so the jury likes them off the bat, throw in the fact everyone on the jury shops at Wal Mart so they're probably concerned their price of laundry detergent will go up a nickel if they give this injured person money

Ninerfan I hope you never slip or trip or are run into by a cart or something overhead falls on you or whatnot at Wal Mart, because good luck finding a lawyer to help you get your medical bills paid. It's called reaping what you sow.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 06:54 AM by Max Power.)
03-31-2012 06:50 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

(03-31-2012 06:50 AM)Max Power Wrote:  Ninerfan I hope you never slip or trip or are run into by a cart or something overhead falls on you or whatnot at Wal Mart, because good luck finding a lawyer to help you get your medical bills paid. It's called reaping what you sow.

In that case we should be hearing about you killing an unarmed black kid who was beating the crap out of you resulting in Al Sharpton protesting your not being arrested while Spike Lee tweets the address of the old couple that lives in your old house and the media convicting you before all the facts are clear any day now.

But at least now we know you're not for fighting for a client in as much as you are in getting the quickest extortion...er I mean...settlement you can so you can collect your 40% and move on to the next one.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 08:08 AM by Ninerfan1.)
03-31-2012 08:06 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Not everyone would sue Walmart because they don't know how to operate their own damn feet.
03-31-2012 08:13 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

(03-31-2012 08:13 AM)Paul M Wrote:  Not everyone would sue Walmart because they don't know how to operate their own damn feet.

Exactly.

And I'm not a particularly litigious person by nature, so I'm not overly concerned.

Don't worry Max, there are plenty of people out there that are that you can continue to exploit for your financial gain.
03-31-2012 08:15 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
PI Attorney = blood sucking lawyer who is generally a dick.
03-31-2012 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

Congress has a stellar track record of eliminating or reducing red tape and bureaucracy. 03-lmfao
03-31-2012 09:16 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-31-2012 06:50 AM)Max Power Wrote:  Spot on and no offense taken Robert. I've never sued Wal Mart and probably wouldn't take a Wal Mart case unless it's 100% clear cut and the plaintiff is sympathetic. Reasons being:

-The most skilled lawyers, who work together and specialize in defending Wal Mart
-Flooding me with discovery and generally being a dick about every issue that comes up, and never offering settlements except when discovery's over, liability's clear and my client will be liked by a jury (and even then they're low and probably won't cover the medical bills)
-Extremely good public reputation, so the jury likes them off the bat, throw in the fact everyone on the jury shops at Wal Mart so they're probably concerned their price of laundry detergent will go up a nickel if they give this injured person money

Ninerfan I hope you never slip or trip or are run into by a cart or something overhead falls on you or whatnot at Wal Mart, because good luck finding a lawyer to help you get your medical bills paid. It's called reaping what you sow.

I won't judge a man based on his occupation. I am however not a fan of much of the legal profession. I believe it is like Major League Baseball. Due to the expansion of it in membership...the talent is watered down and a lot of bench warmers make way too much money riding the bench.
03-31-2012 09:28 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Max, do you know worker's comp law? Does it vary by state? Can I ask you a question about something my company does?
03-31-2012 09:33 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

Yes I do some workers comp. Yes it does vary by state. If you have a question PM me and maybe I can help you out to some extent.

No one in the legal profession is getting money for "riding the bench." There are too many lawyers gor the number of legal jobs out there, but there is still more demand than supply. That's because there are a lot of poor people who need legal help but can't afford it, and pro bono legal services are flooded with requests. And the excess lawyers can't spend all their time helping out these poor people even if they want to because they have student loans from 7 years of college, sometimes in the six figures. Justice in this country really is weighted in favor of the rich and the only times poor people can find legal help to assert their rights is when they get injured and people like me will work just to take a portion of the recovery. I'm certainly not making myself out to be a saint, I'm money driven like the next guy, just trying to illustrate for you the landscape a little bit and our system's shortcomings. People who complain about poor multinational corporations are either loopy or terribly misinformed.
03-31-2012 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.