Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
FIRST CUT OF SPRING REDUCES REDS BIG-LEAGUE ROSTER TO 42 PLAYERS
FIRST CUT OF SPRING REDUCES BIG-LEAGUE ROSTER TO 42 PLAYERS

GOODYEAR, Ariz. The first cut of the spring was a big one. Sixteen players were cut, putting the roster at 42.

“This is probably the latest we made the first cut since I’ve been in baseball,” manager Dusty Baker said. “A lot had to do with the doubleheaders and scheduling. We sent out some guys who were very impressive. We just didn’t have the innings and the at-bats.”

Infielders Kristopher Negron, Neftali Soto and right-hander Josh Judy were optioned to Louisville, infielders Didi Gregorius and Henry Rodriguez and RHP Pedro Villarreal were optioned to Double-A Pensacola. RHP Kyle Lotzkar and outfielder Donald Lutz were optioned to Single-A Bakersfield.

RHPs Nick Christiani, Daniel Corcino, Chad Reineke, Sean Gallagher and Brett Tomko, catchers Tucker Barnhart and Brian Esposito and left-hander Donnie Joseph were re-assigned to the minor league camp.

NUMBER OF THE DAY

The number of non-roster players who remain in camp: Right-handers Carlos Fisher, Kanekoa Texeira, left-handers Jeff Francis, Ron Mahay, Clayton Tanner and Clay Zavada, catchers Corky Miller and Dioner Navarro, infielder Willie Harris and outfielder Daryl Jones.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|FRONTPAGE

03-19-2012 01:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: FIRST CUT OF SPRING REDUCES REDS BIG-LEAGUE ROSTER TO 42 PLAYERS
Phipps finds way at the plate
Hard work pays off for rookie outfielder

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120318&...-way-plate]
The Enquirer / Michael E. Keating
There doesn’t appear to be an outfield spot for Denis Phipps on the big-league club, but he has impressed manager Dusty Baker with his hard work.

Written by
John Fay

GOODYEAR, ARIZ. — Reds manager Dusty Baker sums up Denis Phipps’ chances of being on the team’s Opening Day roster:

“He’s still here.”

Phipps, a 26-year-old outfielder, is in his first big-league camp. He has acquitted himself well so far. He’s hitting .370 with a home run and three RBI in 27 at-bats.

“It’s been awesome,” he said. “I’m learning a lot. I think I can play with these guys.

Phipps is a native of the Dominican Republic. But he is rare in that he didn’t begin playing baseball until he was 17. He played basketball growing up.

Phipps has all the tools – above average arm, speed and power. But he has struggled at the plate and that has slowed his development. He spent two seasons with the Dominican Summer League Reds and two seasons at Single-A Dayton. He had a total of three at-bats above Single-A in his first six years in the system.

Then came last year. He hit .328 with seven home runs and 38 RBI at Double-A Carolina. That earned him a promotion to Triple-A Louisville. He hit better there – .380 with five home runs and 26 RBI.

“He got it together,” Baker said. “We want everyone to get it at the same time. It doesn’t always work like that. I remember talking to David Bell during the season. He couldn’t understand why he wasn’t hitting. All of sudden, it clicked.”

“I’ve had him for parts of three years,” Bell said. “He really struggled. But he kept at it and it just finally clicked. It was fun to watch. That’s what the minor leagues are about. He can do everything.”

Phipps credits Bell, minor league hitting coordinator Ronnie Ortegon and Eric Davis with helping him.

“I stayed focused and kept working,” Phipps said. “They really helped me.”

Phipps is a longshot to make the club out of spring training. The Reds are likely to go with Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Ludwick and Chris Heisey as the outfielders.

But could Phipps help the big league club this year?

“It depends if he keeps progressing,” Baker said. “It helps that he played winter ball and came into camp ready. He’s got an outstanding arm. He runs well. He’s a good outfielder. He’s still learning how to steal bases. He doesn’t have that down yet. He pays attention. He’s not fooling around over there.

“I like him a lot.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds

03-19-2012 02:01 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: FIRST CUT OF SPRING REDUCES REDS BIG-LEAGUE ROSTER TO 42 PLAYERS
Reds cut eight
03/25/12 at 1:18pm by jfay

From the Reds:

Today the Reds optioned to Louisville RHP Andrew Brackman, OF Denis Phipps and IF Chris Valaika; reassigned to minor league camp RHP Carlos Fisher, LHP Ron Mahay, LHP Clayton Tanner, RHP Kanekoa Texeira and LHP Clay Zavada.

Roster is at 33.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/03...cut-eight/

03-25-2012 11:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.