Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sweet 16 celebration thread
Bookmark and Share
cincybearcatsgo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: uc bearcats
Sweet 16 celebration thread
I'm freaking out right now. This has been one AWESOME team to watch and follow this year. I CAN'T WAIT to take on OSU. I think we got this.

raise your hand if you're going to the sweet 16

[Image: 487795_114453135352089_100003622105102_73652_163.jpg]

03-19-2012 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: Sweet 16 celebration thread
Toughness....heart.....defense.....

three words that define our Cats

03-19-2012 12:32 AM
HattoriHanzo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Gotta steal that pic!

03-19-2012 12:34 AM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

This one will always be extra special because of what preceded it. I hope it gets even sweeter.

03-19-2012 12:37 AM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
this right here, my friends, is why we're fans of this university... soak it in. how good does it feel?

drove home after the game last night and was up and at work before 8am. wouldn't trade these moments for anything!

03-19-2012 07:28 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
>>>>
Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein, CBS Sports Network
More people need to start talking about the job Mick Cronin has done at Cincinnati. The Bearcats are once again a force nationally.

Tony Grossi ‏ @TonyGrossi, ESPNCleveland.com
Can almost see and hear the late great Tim Russert, greaseboard in hand, saying the road to NCAAs goes thru Ohio, Ohio, Ohio (and Ohio).

Jim Rome, @jimrome
The brawl should have wrecked both Cincinnati and Xavier's seasons. It didn't. Both are in the Sweet 16. Incredibly.”

Pete Thamel ‏ @PeteThamelNYT, New York Times
This would be a fun week to live in Ohio -- Ohio State, Cincy, Ohio University and Xavier all make it to the Round of 16.

Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz
Love when the tournament produces games that would be terrific in season like Ohio State-Cincinnati.

Seth Davis ‏ @SethDavisHoops
Would y'all have predicted this the night Cincy lost at home to Presbyterian? The Blue Hose must be really frickin' good!!

Josh Katzowitz ‏ @joshkatzowitz, CBS Sports
After covering the early Mick Cronin years, it's hard to believe UC is a Sweet 16 team today.

rickbozich ‏ @rickbozich, Louisville Courier Journal
Maybe now Cincinnati folks will look beyond Bob Huggins' shadow and salute Mick Cronin.

Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz
No question this is Mick Cronin's program. And we're all living in an Ohio area world now. Check the dominant geography of the Sweet 16.

And yes, the great state of Ohio is the center of the basketball universe.

To think: Cincinnati and Xavier are both in the Sweet 16. Is this a great country or what?

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog...z1pZEeOjFV
<<<<<<<<

03-19-2012 08:06 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Rothstein is a great follow on twitter. My favorite tweet from the game last night:

Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein

Could watch these two teams play for days. Might be the two toughest squads in the country.

03-19-2012 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

Through all this Charles Barkley was asleep at his desk because 'defensive battles are boring'.

03-19-2012 08:55 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
While he tends to get long winded ..some good stuff....

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html#ixzz1pZMz6ea4

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ever have one of those moments when something really incredible but totally unexpected just happened and you don't know exactly how to verbalize what you're thinking so you just let loose some high decibel unintelligible yelp that is impossible to spell or phonetically pronounce and sounds much like what would come out of a dog's mouth if Larry Flynt rolled his wheelchair on his tail?

I've had this happen three times....

1) My sophomore year in college when at a party, the two most attractive girls in attendance started sucking face. (Sadly, this was my the highlight of my sexual year. Actually, it might be the highlight of my sexual life.)

2) When Larry Centers fumbled during a Bengals/Cardinals game in 1997, giving Jeff Blake a chance to work his magic and throw a game-winning touchdown pass to Carl Pickens in week one. (This was the day Princess Diana died. Am I a bad person for thinking of Larry Centers, Jeff Blake, Carl Pickens whenever I see anything related to Princess Di?)

3) Last night when Dion Dixon stole the ball from Luke Loucks and dunked it.

To that point, I had literally bitten off every fingernail, exhausted myself from frantic pacing, and had started inventing expletives to yell at the TV in disgust, encouragement, despair, and triumph. From about the 5:00 mark of the first half, every play, every possession in what amounted to a street fight with nets was met with an extreme reaction. If you were in the other room listening to me, you would think I was simultaneously having orgasms and getting my limbs sawed off.

Then Dion Dixon stole the ball and dunked it.

I'm That Fan, the guy who never thinks his team is going to win games that like that one. And you if you root for UC, you know what I'm speaking off. Nearly every school who's played in enough big games has lost games in the most heartbreaking fashion, but it just seems like games like that one, slugfests where no one can pull away, NEVER go UC's way.

Think of every big UC game over the last 20 years. There have been plenty of wins, but the games that stand out are the ones where the guy chucks in the 35 footer to beat the Bearcats or the one where the dude with the 11% three-point shooting percentage can't miss in the final minutes, or the one where the point guard dribbles off his foot, or the one where Darnell Burton gets called for traveling, or where Gerry McNamara makes the three........

If you're a Bearcat fan, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And so despite feeling pretty good despite them being down one at half, despite loving how sloppy the game was being played because of how it favored Cincinnati, despite being very impressed by UC's effort (never say this team doesn't play its ass off) in the face of one of the best defenses the Bearcats have seen, and despite Sean Kilpatrick knocking down the two biggest threes of his life late in the second half, I spent most of the night failing to convince myself that they were gonna win.

Then Dion Dixon stole the ball and dunked it.

I don't know if Dion is a drinking man, and I doubt we'll ever find ourselves in the same tavern, but his drinks are on me for life if he is and if we are. That moment might not have iced the game...UC still needed more stops (How freaking good were they defensively?), made free throws (I did not figure on this team being as good from the line as they were last night), and needed to again overcome themselves (Maybe they're most endearing and enduring quality. Also when I buy Dion his drinks, I will be sure to ask about his two late-game turnovers. Then I will hug him), but it was the signature moment in a signature game.

It's also when I followed up that sound that preceded the dunk and steal combo with this....

"WE ARE WINNING THIS F***ING GAME."

(I know, I know, I went "we." Look, my team hadn't been to a Sweet Sixteen in 11 years, there was a minute and a half to go and tensions were high. Give me a break)

Those who know me and have watched UC games with me (including the poor folks in Vegas who got to witness my act during Bearcats/Longhorns Friday) know how rare such bravado is for me.

But plays like that never happen, and if they do, they happen against the Cats and not for them. And I guess I figured that if Dion can pull off what Bearcat players in games like that never pull off, then maybe, just maybe, a win was meant to be.

We've spent so much time, not just with this year's UC team but with many recent incarnations, comparing them to their predecessors, discussing what made them different from the squads of the "glory years." And in one respect, the grit the Bearcat showed in one of the most physical basketball games you will ever see, stood up to whatever standard was set by past UC teams that always seemed to embody exactly the kind of toughness the Bearcats put on display that night.

But in another sense, Dion's play felt so un-big-game-Bearcat-like. Goofy as it may sound, corny as it may sound, after 20 years of rooting for this program, it was the kind of play I've come to expect Cincinnati NOT to make. That might not be fair, but it's true.

These guys are different though. The big basket is being made, the key defensive stop is materializing, and unlikely heroics are becoming the exception. And for once, I find myself actually expecting UC to figure out ways to win big games against good teams.

We spent years wondering when, and sometimes if, UC would ever have a team that was just like the ones of old. In reality though, we just wanted them to have one good enough to have a chance to show how it was different from them.

These Bearcats, on top of the many things they've accomplished this season, have more than taken advantage of that opportunity.

I always felt like the people who swore off UC's basketball program in the months after the school hired Mick Cronin did so more out of convenience than anything. It didn't take a basketball savant to understand that the Bearcats were not going to be very good for a while, and of course, they weren't.

I think that had Mick Cronin inherited a fully-stocked roster, complete with experience players and littered with future pros, that people wouldn't have been so fast to burn their UC shirts and replace them with Kansas State, and later West Virginia gear. I've always felt that for some, turning their back on the Bearcats had more to do with needing a good team to root for and the Wildcats and Mountaineers being logical teams to turn to than it did loyalty to Bog Huggins. Clearly, those two teams were going to be better off in the short term, and both were. And maybe the emotional investment into the new teams by the old Bearcat fans was worth it, even though I sorta doubt it.

But I feel sorry for those folks this morning.

It's great to root for a team that wins every year, but I think even the people who root for consistent juggernauts would tell you that what makes the big wins sweet is thinking about the heartbreaks along the way. The reason being at GABP on the night that Jay Bruce clinched the division in 2010 was so sweet is because I remember being in that ballpark for so many meaningless, drab, September games. If the Bengals ever win a playoff game, I'll think of the years of misery the franchise put me through and how rewarding it would feel to finally see them win one. UC's recent football success has often made me think of the few people who actually gave a crap about the program pre-2006.

Last night's win was awesome for a billion reasons, but the best part was thinking about the hopelessness and helplessness of watching the Marvin Gentrys and Timmy Crowells of the world play for UC, and of hearing people tell me that no one cared about Bearcat basketball anymore. I thought of what it felt like to watch a team that didn't even qualify for a conference tournament. I thought of what it felt like to watch them lose games in ways that were previously unimaginable to teams previously unheard of.

I thought of the looks I'd get when I told people I was still a UC basketball fan, which is the same look I've seen people give to coworkers they know are being laid off.

I thought of the nights I sat in near empty Fifth Third Arena, when the coaches didn't even have to yell instructions to players.

I thought of the people who still called our shows to talk about the Cats. Even if they were screaming about the coach or the direction of the program, they still cared when it didn't seem like many did.

I thought about the people who, despite it being hard to at times, still gave a crap about UC basketball.

I know the program's bandwagon is filling up, and I'm very, very okay with that. Most sports fans, to at least a small extent, are bandwagon fans and I say the more, the merrier, and I hope those who have returned are enjoying what the team is doing now.

But I feel for those who left and never came back, because while they might have found a new team to root for, there's no way it can be the same. There's just no way. They've missed out on a memorable journey and a hell of a season. They missed out on what last night was....on what this recent run has become....and on sharing UC's success with their fellow fans. I'm sure some are resentful and I'm sure others are apathetic, but either way, they're missing out.

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html#ixzz1pZMz6ea4

03-19-2012 09:02 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Rebuilt program on the court. Increased win total for yet another season. Good citizens and 100% graduating seniors in 6 years.

Apologies to Mr. Sheen...#Winning#

03-19-2012 09:23 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
My favorite one:

Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein, CBS Sports Network
More people need to start talking about the job Mick Cronin has done at Cincinnati. The Bearcats are once again a force nationally.

Word

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 09:24 AM by Bearcats#1.)
03-19-2012 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Beelzebubba Offline
2nd String

Jon has been great with UC all season. Glad I've been following him.

03-19-2012 09:28 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
Best highlights that I have seen yet 04-rock The highlight at the 1:35 mark is :ncaabbs:

Last night's game and this game below are my top moments as a Cincinnati Grad! Top 25 programs in both Football and Basketball 03-cloud9

03-19-2012 09:28 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Keep on surviving, keep on advancing. 04-rock

03-19-2012 10:05 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Had an absolutely amazing time in Nashville. The crowd was very loud last night. We need those students who showed up for round 3 to go to Boston.

Not much to be said that everyone else has not already said. This team seems special, they are so much fun to root for.

Bring on the Buckeyes.

03-19-2012 10:20 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Gonna enjoy this for a long time. With the football and basketball programs reaching great heights and the 3 stewards of Cronin, Jones and Babcock, UC is among the best in the nation!

03-19-2012 10:29 AM
Advertisement

TheJimmy Offline
Bench Warmer

Who is a big fan of overhead claps?

03-19-2012 10:30 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Great victory by the Cats! I was jumping all over the house. What a gritty hard nosed team. They never seem to give up. Very fun year.

Everyday is a great day to be a Bearcat!

03-19-2012 11:12 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
I had some folks over for the game. My downstairs neighbor texted me around 11:30 and said "I know the game is close buy you gotta stop stomping around." I was pacing all over the house from mid first half on (I usually make it to the second half). I was a huge fan of the 92 and 93 teams, but was too young to fully appreciate them. This team is now right there with the Kenyon team, and Logan's team for my favorite Bearcat team of all time. This game coming up against OSU is the biggest Bearcat game since UC v. UNC to go to the final 4 IMO. I have a ton a need to get done this week. Hard to concentrate though.

03-19-2012 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I hear you Mark. The pets went into hiding. My wife, for once, didn't comment on my pacing or jumping around like a 5 yr old on a trampoline.

03-19-2012 12:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.