Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A New Era: My spring preview
Bookmark and Share
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
A New Era: My spring preview
This morning Pitt will embark on a new era of Pitt football as Chryst finally takes the helm of Panthers football.

The biggest challenge will be reinstalling the Pro Set Offense and 4-3 Defense from the Spread and 3-4 that Coach Todd Graham ran last year. A good thing is most of the current upperclassman played under Coach Wannstedt's Pro Set and 4-3 Defensive schemes. Another benefit is that this will help out Tino Suneri and Mark Myers who are obviously Pro Set QB's.

Here is the expected format of the next 15 days per Paul Zeise of the PG via Chryst:

Quote:Chryst said the first five days of spring practice will be about fundamentals and introducing the system; the second five will be about the players getting comfortable playing with less emphasis on the installation of new stuff.

The final five days will be used to work on the areas that need to improve, making personnel adjustments and getting ready for the spring game.

I personally think that the second set of 5 practices will be the most important and the most telling. We'll learn how quickly this edition of the Panthers learn Chryst's scheme's and how they handle the adversity of even more change.

Defensively moving from the 3-4 to the 4-3 will be a challenge because of the lack of depth and experience on the Defensive Line. I'd expect to see Shane Shane Hale, Aaron Donald, Khaynin Mosley-Smith, TJ Clemmons and Tyrone Ezell to man the front line from day 1. Unsure if that's going to be the opening day Defensive Line either. Another name to look out for is Justin Hargrove.

With Todd Thomas out due to an injury, the Line Backers this spring will more than likely be Ejuan Price, Carl Fleming, LaQuenton Smith, and Adam Lazenga.

Cant say much about the Defensive Backs other than Brandon Ifill moving to Wide Receiver. Expect some youth at the Corners with Lloyd Carrington and K'won Williams. At Safety we'll see Andrew Taglianetti and Jared Holley. I'm unsure what the Depth chart behind Carrington, Williams, Tags, and Holley looks like.

The QB Position is deep in numbers but not in experience and talent at this point. It features Tino Sunseri as the returning starter with Mark Myers, Anthony Gonzalez, and EJ Banks backing him up and highly touted Chad Voytik coming in this fall. I can't wait to see what Coach Bollinger does w/ this set of QB's!

Running Backs will be interesting with Ray Graham out this spring. Look for Issac Bennett, Malcolm Crockett, and Corey Davis to have a big time role with Chryst installing this offense.

Boy oh boy WR is deep with Devin Street, Mike Shanahan, Cam Saddler, Drew Carswell, and Brandon Ifill joining the group. And I didn't even mention names like Darius Patton and Kevin Weatherspoon. Unfortunately a few names are going to get lost in the shuffle here.

I'm totally unsure about Fullback and the Offensive Line so I'd rather not touch on it. It's going to be interesting to see how the Depth Chart develops on the front line.

What I am sure is that Coach's Chryst, OC Rudolph, and DC Huxtable are going to put together the best starting lineup possible.

Joey Niklas

Edit... I see a lot of lurkers... feel free to register and comment... 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2012 03:38 AM by ClairtonPanther.)
03-15-2012 01:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
RE: A New Era: My spring preview
Both Pittsburgh newspapers are reporting Lazenga has moved to fullback. The real wildcard here could be Dan Mason. He is going to practice this spring. If he recovers to be able to play this fall anywhere near his pre-injury potential that could be huge. That said, I am not real optimistic about that, but I would love to be wrong.
03-15-2012 08:19 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(03-15-2012 08:19 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Both Pittsburgh newspapers are reporting Lazenga has moved to fullback. The real wildcard here could be Dan Mason. He is going to practice this spring. If he recovers to be able to play this fall anywhere near his pre-injury potential that could be huge. That said, I am not real optimistic about that, but I would love to be wrong.

W/ out revealing too much today, it was nice to see 'whats his face' get some PT today. Hopefully he takes the bull by the horn and moves up the depth chart with the golden chance he's getting due to injuries ahead of him.
03-15-2012 12:21 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
03-15-2012 12:22 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Position changers Per Trib

E.J. Banks -Quarterback
Devin Cook - Defensive line
Jason Frimpong- Linebacker
Anthony Gonzalez- Quarterback
Brandon Ifill -Wide receiver
Adam Lazenga- Fullback
LaQuentin Smith- Defensive line
Justin Virbitsky - Offensive line
Steve Williams - Defensive back

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...z1pCuIUzEA
03-15-2012 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.