ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Latos is now Cincinnati's to deal with
Latos is now Cincinnati's to deal with

[Image: latosREDS_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce51...bc530c46a8]
Mat Latos was traded in the offseason from the Padres to Cincinnati. — ASSOCIATED PRESS

Written by
Chris Jenkins

GOODYEAR, Ariz — "Business," he said, over and over. Nothing personal.

Indeed, with every question about the circumstances around the pre-Christmas trade that sent Mat Latos from the Padres to the Cincinnati Reds, the often-playful pitcher’s expression goes as cold and unfeeling as the business side of baseball. His eyes turn to slits, same as they do when he stands on the mound and peers over the fingertips of his glove before the next delivery, the quality of which was worth a quantity of four Reds players with major-league qualities of their own.

If he wanted to, Latos could take it as a grand compliment, the fact that Cincinnati was so willing to give up such a bounty for him. Some would. He won’t. Not yet.

“Basically, to sum it all up, I was told (by the Padres) that what they got for me was worth the trade,” Latos said after donning a Reds jersey over his illustrated-man torso Tuesday morning. “So I took that as me not being worth that much to San Diego. Just the way I took it, that’s all.”

If it were most other pitchers, the trade would be assessed purely from the baseball standpoint. Despite the four-for-one aspect, this swap actually made sense from both teams’ perspectives.

The Padres got a probable starting first baseman in Yonder Alonso, a former All-Star and Opening Day pitcher in Edinson Volquez, a catcher who’s close to majors-ready in Yasmani Grandal and a bullpen prospect in Brad Boxberger. Well-set at every defensive position, the win-now Reds shed a big contract and the lasting stigma of a 50-game drug suspension of Volquez from 2010 – not to mention the disappointment of his pitching since reconstructive elbow surgery – and the well-armed Padres gave up a hard-throwing, ultra-confident, free-spirited pitcher who sometimes was as much of a problem as he was a prize.

“Every bit of it’s been better for me, being with a team that wants me,” said Latos. “No disrespect to San Diego. I love the people there. It took a while to deal with (the trade) at first. But I’m not angry about it.”

Clearly, though, Latos bears at least slight resentment over the way the deal came down Dec. 17. He said he awoke that Saturday morning, learning of the trade and its details from his agents’ calls and the television. For confirmation, he said, he phoned new Padres General Manager Josh Byrnes.

“Nobody called me,” said Latos. “I didn’t get a call from Byrnes, didn’t get a call from (manager) Bud Black, didn’t get a call from (club CEO) Jeff Moorad or (club President) Tom Garfinkel or anybody. When I finally called Byrnes, the conversation lasted for all of about 15 seconds. I didn’t get a call from any teammates. The only person I communicated with was a text with Cameron Maybin. But that was it. I saw Will Venable at an Aztec game and we talked a couple minutes.

“What got me about the whole thing it was, I’d just gone to the Padres' holiday dinner something like four nights before the trade. (The Padres) were talking about how excited they were about 2012 with me, excited about the future with me. To hear that and be traded so soon after, then to hear that what the Padres got was worth more than me?”

Latos stopped himself.

“Hey, no hard feelings,” he continued. “Looking back, I just wish it was handled a little differently. But it’s fine.”

Byrnes refuted Latos' claim, saying he made attempts to reach the pitcher and his agent that morning.

Already slotted into the No. 2 rotation spot behind Johnny Cueto, Latos will not pitch in the Reds’ exhibition game against the Padres on Wednesday. He’s pitched at Peoria Sports Complex, facing the Seattle Mariners, joking afterward with Cincinnati reporters that he tried to park in the Padres’ lot and “they weren’t having it.”

That sort of playful crack is very much a part of the Latos package, like the inked-out canvas that is his body, seemingly adorned with new artwork every homestand or so. At times, Latos appeared most content playing catch with Padres’ coaches young sons, most comfortable when talking with security guards and fans. Even when Latos tried to hide his disdain for the umpire who didn’t like his strike zone, he wasn’t always successful.

From the day he arrived in San Diego without a day in Triple-A, still only 21 years old, Latos never thought the majors was somewhere he didn’t belong. The first Padres pitcher ever to win four of his first five starts, he became a force in 2010, winning 14 games and posting a 2.92 earned-run average. He struggled out of the gate last season, but returned to dominance after the All-Star Break.

“He’s a big old strappin’ dude who hasn’t really scratched the surface of what he might do,” said Reds manager Dusty Baker. “I know he wants to do great. People see him as a happy-go-lucky guy with all those tattoos – which he is – but he’s also a conscientious, concerned guy who wants to do well.”

Other managers might’ve shied away from Latos. Baker, who said he did talk to Black about Latos post-trade, has no such qualms.

“I like different,” said Baker. “I’m OK with different because I was different. I was always told I was weird, different, I was this or that. After a while I quit trying to fit in. I understand strength in solitude. Compared to me, (Latos) ain’t even close to different.”

Know what Baker likes in particular about Latos? For all the perception that Padres pitchers benefit from their spacious home field, Latos’ ERA at Petco Park isn't that much higher than away games, and the rest of his comparative numbers are strikingly close. His ERA is 1.93 and his opponents' batting average a measly .111 in two starts at Great American Ball Park, one of the great American bandboxes.

“That’s gonna help in our place,” said Baker, “Heck yeah, we’ve had some people let our ballpark get in their heads the other way, guys afraid of throwing strikes, pitching away from contact. In San Diego, it’s in your best interest to pitch to contact. Mat ain’t scared.”

For his part, Latos shook his head side to side when asked if he’d thought about that inevitable first start against the Padres, that first return to Petco Park. Just more business.

“Last year was his second full year, a real learning experience for Mat, and now we’ll see where he takes it,” said Black. “He’s got a great arm, a bright future. It’s up to him.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/...=1#article

03-14-2012 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Latos is now Cincinnati's to deal with
Sure seems like this writer was out to do a hatchet job on Latos. Not complete knife in the back, but bleed from small cuts.

03-14-2012 12:20 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
We'll gladly take him. Especially since she comes with him.

[Image: latos_girlfriend.jpg]

03-14-2012 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-14-2012 12:37 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  We'll gladly take him. Especially since she comes with him.

dude is living the good life

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2012 12:56 PM by icehole3.)
03-14-2012 12:55 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
(03-14-2012 12:37 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  We'll gladly take him. Especially since she comes with him.

09-hitit

I always wanted a reason to use that smilie. 04-cheers

03-14-2012 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.