Most valuable college basketball programs 2012
Top 20

2.)North Carolina
4.)Duke
9.)Syracuse
12.)Maryland
19.)Pittsburgh

The "New Big East" only has Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 03:32 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
03-12-2012 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: Most valuable college basketball programs 2012
Link?
03-12-2012 03:38 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Click on top 20... There's a forbes link there. 04-cheers

Nice find OC
03-12-2012 03:40 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I need a new mouse. Mine completely missed that link!
03-12-2012 03:46 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Any evaluation that has the Minnesota Gophers as one of the Top 20 most valuable college basketball programs needs to go and re-assess how they are doing their rankings. 03-lmfao

What a joke.

Cheers,
Neil
03-12-2012 04:19 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Yea, it was weird seeing some of those teams listed Neil
03-12-2012 04:30 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

Another factor to consider is the schools reporting. Private schools have to report less and tend to show zero balances (like Syracuse). Also, each state has different reporting rules. These valuations are nice but hardly accurate.
03-12-2012 05:26 PM
Advertisement

ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(03-12-2012 05:26 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Another factor to consider is the schools reporting. Private schools have to report less and tend to show zero balances (like Syracuse). Also, each state has different reporting rules. These valuations are nice but hardly accurate.

What IS accurate is:
North Carolina generated over $5 million for its conference last year, the most of any team, thanks to 21 NCAA tournament games played since 2005.
03-12-2012 05:38 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(03-12-2012 05:38 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 05:26 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Another factor to consider is the schools reporting. Private schools have to report less and tend to show zero balances (like Syracuse). Also, each state has different reporting rules. These valuations are nice but hardly accurate.

What IS accurate is:
North Carolina generated over $5 million for its conference last year, the most of any team, thanks to 21 NCAA tournament games played since 2005.

Correct. And $5MM is a great figure to be adding to the coffers.
03-12-2012 05:53 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-12-2012 05:38 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  

What IS accurate is:

I believe Michigan State earned 21 units over that same time frame.

Those two were followed by Villanova with 17 units and Duke, Louisville, Memphis, and West Virginia who all earned 16 units from 2005-2010.

Cheers,
Neil
03-12-2012 07:39 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-12-2012 05:38 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  North Carolina generated over $5 million for its conference last year, the most of any team, thanks to 21 NCAA tournament games played since 2005.

This is the primary way that schools like UNC & Duke "pull their weight" in the ACC, and the football teams (I'm looking at you, Clemson) do need to recognize this.

At the same time, what UNC fans need to recognize is that the $5 million UNC brought in from the basketball tournament is trumped by Va Tech's BCS at-large bid, $6 million to $5 million [ link ]

To be fair, UNC also brings in some bowl money every year as well - even non-BCS bowls pay something!

So, what needs to happen for ACC athletics to prosper is 2-fold:
(1) the football teams need to play well enough to get regular BCS at-large bids and fill out the remaining bowls
(2) the basketball teams need to keep qualifying for and making deep runs in the NCAA tournament
Some schools will be able to do both - more power to them (FSU).
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 09:07 AM by Hokie Mark.)
03-13-2012 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

Ideally, a conference will have very good teams in both Basketball and Football. Being a powerhouse in both would be ideal. It does not have to be the same teams but as long as some of the teams are good it really helps the conference.
Look at what has happened to the PAC-12 (basketball) over the last few years. They have been terrible.
I am surprised that Syracuse is so far down the list. Usually, Syracuse is in the top 3 for attendance every year. The added value to the conference is that Syracuse will probably be the top draw for opposing teams and bring more fans into opposing arenas than any other team, thus helping the financial situation of each school.
03-13-2012 09:57 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-13-2012 09:06 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 05:38 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  North Carolina generated over $5 million for its conference last year, the most of any team, thanks to 21 NCAA tournament games played since 2005.

This is the primary way that schools like UNC & Duke "pull their weight" in the ACC, and the football teams (I'm looking at you, Clemson) do need to recognize this.

At the same time, what UNC fans need to recognize is that the $5 million UNC brought in from the basketball tournament is trumped by Va Tech's BCS at-large bid, $6 million to $5 million [ link ]

But UNC's and Duke's $3 - $5 million is likely every year, whereas the extra $6 million for the extra BCS Bowl bid is good for that year only.

Quote:So, what needs to happen for ACC athletics to prosper is 2-fold:
(1) the football teams need to play well enough to get regular BCS at-large bids and fill out the remaining bowls
(2) the basketball teams need to keep qualifying for and making deep runs in the NCAA tournament
Some schools will be able to do both - more power to them (FSU).

Agreed.

Cheers,
Neil
03-13-2012 12:55 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-13-2012 09:57 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  Ideally, a conference will have very good teams in both Basketball and Football. Being a powerhouse in both would be ideal. It does not have to be the same teams but as long as some of the teams are good it really helps the conference.
Look at what has happened to the PAC-12 (basketball) over the last few years. They have been terrible.

Agreed. You want at least 4 programs that consistently perform well in football and at least 4 programs that consistently perform well in basketball. Then you need another 4 programs that can step up to the plate when 1 of the top performers goes through a slump. And hope that the league doesn't have two top performers going through a slump at the same time.

This is how the SEC has been so successful in football and the new Big East so successful in basketball.

If the ACC could reach 80% the success of those two leagues in their respective sports, the sky is the limit.

Cheers,
Neil
03-13-2012 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.