Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Free throw shooting compared to previous UC teams
Bookmark and Share
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
Free throw shooting compared to previous UC teams
Is this the worst free throw shooting team that UC has had in recent years or does it only seem like it?

Haven't been able to catch most of the games since I'm out of town, but just wondering.

Overall, I have to say I like this team and what Mick has done with it. I am starting to feel like basketball will be back on track for years to come again. I also think that with the slightly less dominant Big East, UC should be a Big East title contender year in and out.

03-12-2012 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Free throw shooting compared to previous UC teams
Seems to be the Mick Cronin teams do a whole lot of things right and FT shooting is definitely not one of them.

03-12-2012 11:18 AM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
Seems like a lot of teams are struggling. I watched yesterday as a 92% FT shooter missed 2 with the game on the line. Can't recall the game for some reason. FT shooting numbers seem to keep declining, especially in the clutch. I'm sure it is not for a lack of practicing them as I know how many we had to shoot in high school and I've heard rumors of 100s a day at the college level.

Need to relax and step it up in the tourney. Get a head doctor for Dixon and Parker so they don't let Saturday's misses haunt them into the tourney.

03-12-2012 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I'm hesitant to say that FTs cost us the game on Saturday because we blew so many other possessions. I guess simple math says the team missed six, and lost by six, but that reasoning only holds water when we expect to make 100% all the time.

03-12-2012 12:08 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Maybe those big head posters are really that effective?

03-12-2012 12:27 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Bearcats seem particularly awful late in games, or in high pressure situations. Honestly I was rooting for Gates to shoot free throws late against Syracuse, because I actually feel like he thrives with a bit more pressure on him (that said he's not a good foul shooter, so that is how desperate I was). Other than the Oklahoma game where UC was brilliant down the stretch from the foul line, I feel like UC has killed themselves with their late game free throw shooting. Hell almost blew huge late leads against Syracuse and UConn as a result.

03-12-2012 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2012 12:27 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Maybe those big head posters are really that effective?

03-lmfao They can't hurt. Some of them are hilarious.

Frustrating when its your shooting guards missing the free throws. Our pure shooters just aren't that pure.

03-12-2012 12:33 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
FT shooting has been pretty awful across the country.

Last week in the Pac 12 tournament Tony Wroten of Washington bricked 4 straight in the final seconds with his team only down a point. Along with Oregon State the two teams combined to go 29-58 in that game. That's pathetic.

I just don't know what happened to Dixon at the line. Last year he was the guy that would ice the game in the final minutes. Cash was also a much better FT shooter last year. It seems like our guys always miss short in the clutch.

03-12-2012 12:40 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
This crew has certainly had it's struggles, but it's not as bad as it used to be watching Michael Horton going to the line and tossing bricks.

03-12-2012 12:53 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-12-2012 10:57 AM)BearcatDave Wrote:  Is this the worst free throw shooting team that UC has had in recent years or does it only seem like it?

Haven't been able to catch most of the games since I'm out of town, but just wondering.

Overall, I have to say I like this team and what Mick has done with it. I am starting to feel like basketball will be back on track for years to come again. I also think that with the slightly less dominant Big East, UC should be a Big East title contender year in and out.

As a team I don't think were are any worse than the last few years. The difference is we don't have that one guy you know will always step to the line and drain them. As much as Deonta frustrated me, I always wanted the ball in his hands when other teams were in a situation where they had to foul. Rashad was that type of guy from the line too.

03-12-2012 12:55 PM
HattoriHanzo Offline
Bench Warmer

Sadly, I want Yancy at the line in crunch time.

03-12-2012 01:01 PM
Advertisement

ucbrownsfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(03-12-2012 12:08 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I'm hesitant to say that FTs cost us the game on Saturday because we blew so many other possessions. I guess simple math says the team missed six, and lost by six, but that reasoning only holds water when we expect to make 100% all the time.

Louisville 11-12, expected points on 12 FT's - 12 * .686 = 8.2
Cincinnati 1-7, expected points on 7 FT's - 7 * .641 = 4.487,

Everything else holds true, the expect out come with them getting 12 and us getting 7, is us with a .287 Expected advantage. Lots of things we did well, but all else holds true, we lost at the line.

03-12-2012 01:38 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2012 01:38 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 12:08 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I'm hesitant to say that FTs cost us the game on Saturday because we blew so many other possessions. I guess simple math says the team missed six, and lost by six, but that reasoning only holds water when we expect to make 100% all the time.

Louisville 11-12, expected points on 12 FT's - 12 * .686 = 8.2
Cincinnati 1-7, expected points on 7 FT's - 7 * .641 = 4.487,

Everything else holds true, the expect out come with them getting 12 and us getting 7, is us with a .287 Expected advantage. Lots of things we did well, but all else holds true, we lost at the line.

Sir, you just blew my mind.

03-12-2012 01:59 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
The chip game was the worst ever this season. No reason a guard dominated team should shoot so poorly at the line. Late in games I think its definitely between the ears, although i think the kids were tired the other night too. Wish Mick would let glawn and davis play a little more in the first half of these games

03-12-2012 03:14 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(03-12-2012 12:27 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Maybe those big head posters are really that effective?

I wonder if they will let me take one into the game on Friday?

I really think it is an overall drop off around basketball. Hell, a 70+% shooter is now considered a good FT shooter. Seems to me that every team used to have a guy who was over 85%.

03-12-2012 03:23 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(03-12-2012 03:23 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

I wonder if they will let me take one into the game on Friday?

I really think it is an overall drop off around basketball. Hell, a 70+% shooter is now considered a good FT shooter. Seems to me that every team used to have a guy who was over 85%.

They don't emphasize FT shooting on ESPN. Only dunks and flashy passing. No fundamentals, period.

03-12-2012 03:25 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Eh Free Throw shooting on the aggregate has not changed much over the years. In college it's between 67% and 70% every season. http://basketball.about.com/b/2009/03/05...-years.htm

03-12-2012 03:36 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(03-12-2012 03:36 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Eh Free Throw shooting on the aggregate has not changed much over the years. In college it's between 67% and 70% every season. http://basketball.about.com/b/2009/03/05...-years.htm

Very interesting, I could have lost some serious coin on that bet.

03-12-2012 03:42 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(03-12-2012 03:36 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Eh Free Throw shooting on the aggregate has not changed much over the years. In college it's between 67% and 70% every season. http://basketball.about.com/b/2009/03/05...-years.htm

1st reply to that column:
Quote:Comments

April 25, 2009 at 12:49 am
(1) ed palubinskas says: :

Your comments are pretty intuitive when you blame the coaches for the mediocrity. Its their fault not the players. How can you teach what you dont know. lets reward calipari with a trillion bucks. He doesnt know or care about shooting excellence. So lets pay him big. I dont get it.
What do I know . I shoot 99% from the line and have done so for 28 years. Have missed 3 free throws in competition in 21 years.
Am president of National basketball shooters association http://www.nbsahoops.com.
I can take a 65-70% team and in 7 days have them shooting 90% from the line. Do it all the time. We can at least improve them 20% in that time. No big deal. Just change mental comprehension and abide by scientific principles and natural laws.read some of my articles on my site to get better insight as to my methodology.
great free throw shooters are great shooters as well. so lets make great free throw shooters out of our players and hoopsbecomes more exciting.

Best swishes
shooting surgeon general.
ed Palubinskas
world record holder

03-12-2012 04:21 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
And yet guard-oriented teams like Villanova and Xavier and Vanderbilt and Wisconsin shoot free throws consistently well year after year. It goes to the kind of players you recruit.

03-12-2012 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.