Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent Womens Basketball's
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Kent Womens Basketball's
After seeing the tournament this year, we really have our work cut out for us. Although I see some talent, we had 6 freshman and none made the all-freshman team. CMU had 4 and 3 made it. It shows we are having a lot of trouble getting talent. Having said that I think this is what has to happen to get things headed in the right direction.

1. We once again only had 10 players with only 8 capable of playing. As with any team one of those 8 is almost always hurt and a couple others are playing hurt. For example I saw Krewson at the Q last night walking around in a boot that was half way to her knee. Might explain some of our late season difficulty. We need to keep the eight and add 3 or 4 players to it. We can't watch a whole class disappear like last year. Lindsey played up tempo with this group and they died the last 10 games or so.

2. We need a taller and talented center who can score. Going from her to the 5'10" Beckman will make it tough on other teams. Schaeffer is tall enough and improved some but she isn't going to all of a sudden score 15 a game her senior year. We have a 6'4" recruit coming in and as long as she can play a little bit give her the experience. We will have some depth at this position for a year so let's hope we can take advantage. The other 2 will be seniors so we have to recruit another one next year.

3. I like the wings. Obviously an Amy Sherry would help but I think we can win some games with Krewson, Barroilet (sorry for the spelling), Droste and Stubbs. We have another one coming in to start preparing for the first two graduating next year.

4. We need a first class point guard. I know another guard is coming in but I don't know what position she will play. Hutchenson is okay and got a lot of experience but I would rather see her play the wing. This is probably the most unlikely thing to happen but we can always wish.

5. Power forward is okay with Llobert (my apologies again, hey nobody spells my Italian name worth a damn either).

We probably won't get all the above but if we get half of it (especially some depth) we might get back into the upper half of the league. Let's hope.
03-10-2012 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
RE: Kent Womens Basketball's
Can we pleeeeease give the guy a modicum of respect and spell his name right? He's only been here 20 years. It's L-i-n-d-s-a-y.

I think it's important to remember we did beat the eventual MAC runner-up.

As far as recruiting, heard through the grapevine we had a solid verbal from one of the best PG in the state but she withdrew due to the uncertainty of the coaching staff's contract situation. Hard to fathom.
03-10-2012 08:08 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I agree that currently the problem is no contract. The decision on the program is with the AD right now and I assume it will be resolved shortly. If it isn't, then the problem is not the head coach. However, the reason we have this situation is because the recruiting has been suspect for the last 5 years or so. I supported Lindsay (thanks for correcting me I probably have been doing that forever) as much as anybody until a few years ago. He is a good x's and o's coach and I think it's allowed him to survive the last few years with average talent. I just don't see the enthusiasm in the program anymore. As with anything else it is not all Lindsay's fault but it has to be corrected. When I started watching Kent's womens team the crowds were very small. They grew to 1500 a game and now are right back to very small. It's not a good situation.

Yes they did beat CMU this year but they also lost to BG by 40 in there last regular season game and scored only 8 in the first half against Ohio. They were banged up and tired but I suspect there were some other things going on.
03-10-2012 11:55 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
As expected we are now officially looking for a new womens coach. Overall it was a very good run but the handwriting has been on the wall for at least a year and I think it was needed. The enthusiasm had left the program. The fans were disappearing and you could even see it in the faces on the bench(coaches and players). I'm sure with our budget,we will hire a young first time D1 coach so I hope they make the right choice. They have a decent core and if they can get a decent recruiting class they might turn it around fairly quickly and at least get back into the upper third of the league.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2012 10:43 AM by burden.)
03-14-2012 08:19 PM
BrashFlash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
Eric Haut's wife is a coach.
03-14-2012 09:23 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

Love ya Bob. Thanks for everything. Not just the wins and the success; but for representing my school the way you and Lori have for two decades. Hope to see ya at the Derby.
03-14-2012 09:32 PM
Advertisement

bball4me Offline
2nd String

I assume that the before mentioned recruits, especially the 6'4' post player may reconsider..........
03-15-2012 09:46 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Yes it wouldn't be unusual to take a step backward before we start going forward. At least the freshman, if they stay, will have 3 years to adjust to a new coach. We will have to see. I think they made the right first step. Lindsay probably wasn't going to stay too much longer anyway. Not giving him an extension caused issues for the last 1-2 seasons but now we will see what the new Athletic Director does in a relatively tough position.
03-15-2012 10:50 AM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

Any rumors on who KSU is targeting for Lindsay's replacement?
03-20-2012 09:47 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Interesting article in the paper today. Jena Stutzman who played two years at Kent scored 32 in the Division II NCAA championship game last night. Her Ashland team lost in OT. It was good to see her do well after she left. She was no more than a solid back-up at Kent (would have helped that 20 win team last year if she had stayed) but was able to really perform at the DII level.
03-24-2012 05:21 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Stutzman would have been the team's only senior this year. We could have very much used her.

Another KSU athlete (who've I had in class) tells me she was miserable under Lindsay.
03-24-2012 08:22 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
You know I never could understand why the players were as miserable as they were under Lindsay. I saw some of his practices and they weren't anything unusual. However as far back as 1999 players always said he was terrible to play for. Even the Zerman teams, which were the best he had, had issues. Buelow walked out with about 10 games to go in their best season, Wolke went to Louisville and became the third big on a very good team, a starter use to trash him when she talked to fans, the team voted and refused to go to a NIT one year, etc. Never understood it, but from that time on it was consistent and slowly ruined the program. Everyone knows he didn't have a bubbly personality, but it had to be more than that. Also, apparently his assistants including Lori could not buffer the situation very well, so it just deteriorated and ended a few days ago.
03-25-2012 04:02 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

Miserable under Lindsay = mental midget.
03-25-2012 06:20 PM
DrKahmansense Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Tea leaves are telling me the new coach may be the coach at South Dakota, Ryun Williams. Since it doesn't seem that a committee has been put together for the selection, which is unusual, the AD may just pick a guy he is very familiar with.
03-29-2012 01:58 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Interesting. 19-7 in the Summit League and at least some Division 1 experience. If that pans out I would be pleasantly suprised. Of course that means very little but at least it would hold my interest for a year or so.
03-29-2012 06:51 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I am sorry their record was 23-8 and they got to the 2nd round of theWNIT.
03-29-2012 07:06 PM
Advertisement

cschierh Offline
1st String

Sure hope they've talked to Brady Sallee of Eastern Illinois. He was a top assistant here around 2000 during some of Kent's best years. He's been very successful at Eastern (87-13) over the last four years.

But I wonder if he has so much loyalty to Lindsay that he wouldn't consider the job (or Nielsen wouldn't consider him). Nielsen knows he's out there, but whether he's doing anything about it....

There's also a guy named Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast Universty who is a 1993 Summa *** Laude KSU grad. He's had very good teams at Walsh, Indiana-Fort Wayne and Florida Gulf Coast (232-46 overall record in Atlantic Sun).

Curiously, he has no connection at all with KSU women's BB and tried to walk on (unsuccessfully) with the men's team. Nielsen knows about him, too.

These guys also might be expensive, but their leagues are a level down from the MAC.
03-29-2012 09:57 PM
DrKahmansense Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Whomever might be interested will have to call the new secretary directly because I am told that the AD's email and voice mail have been closed down....apparently coach Lindsay had more fans than people thought!

Florida winters or Kent, Ohio winters....Hmmmmmmm.

Brady Sallee....in a word....no.
03-30-2012 08:58 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

At least we can prove this is untrue. JN’s phone and email is just fine.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 11:15 AM by FlashFan.)
03-30-2012 11:13 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2012 04:02 PM)burden Wrote:  You know I never could understand why the players were as miserable as they were under Lindsay. I saw some of his practices and they weren't anything unusual. However as far back as 1999 players always said he was terrible to play for. Even the Zerman teams, which were the best he had, had issues. Buelow walked out with about 10 games to go in their best season, Wolke went to Louisville and became the third big on a very good team, a starter use to trash him when she talked to fans, the team voted and refused to go to a NIT one year, etc. Never understood it, but from that time on it was consistent and slowly ruined the program. Everyone knows he didn't have a bubbly personality, but it had to be more than that. Also, apparently his assistants including Lori could not buffer the situation very well, so it just deteriorated and ended a few days ago.

I could never figure this out either, and have no “insider” knowledge to know why. But I cannot recall another coach at KSU, or anywhere that I know of, where players were so openly outspoken against their coach. We should presume all DI coaches are tough, but none had the open hostility he had. Was it the players he recruited? Was it him?

If memory serves me, didn’t a player file some sort of lawsuit around 2003 or 04, then Laing and CC had to put together a committee to investigate Coach Lindsay’s “motivational techniques?” Tried to look this up but couldn’t find it; got the program loads of negative press at the time. Does anyone else remember this? Maybe it was a personality clash, but don’t those happen fairly regularly at this level? Pretty extreme to have a player file an open complaint; don’t know that I can recall another example.

Then we’ve witnessed the revolving door of players Coach Lindsay recruited. Recruiting is an uncertain business, but to have so many players bail on him makes me wonder if something was going on. If we are expected to be curious about the turnover under JN, shouldn’t we also wonder about the turnover under Coach Lindsay? The churn always made me less excited about his promised recruits; never knew how long they’d stick around.

One thing seems sure, if Coach Lindsay is as talented as his fans indicate, he’ll have no problem landing another head coaching job- maybe someplace where he can be happier.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 11:31 AM by FlashFan.)
03-30-2012 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.