Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
NCAA 12 game mandate,BE to 12 schools,soon???
pirate65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

the NCAA will mandate a 12 game regular season, that opens a 8 home game model, as soon as this post season.early roumor Memphis, and ECU could be added as football only with ND haveing as maney as 4-5 BE games a year. BE will end up with 12 schools with a champ game in NYC Jets stadium. WHY? the big BE schools WVU,SU and Pitt see the handwritting on the wall can't get the 7-8 home games with only 8 schools. this story has legs!!!!! 04-cheers
11-19-2004 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

pirate65 Wrote:the NCAA will mandate a 12 game regular season, that opens a 8 home game model, as soon as this post season.early roumor Memphis, and ECU could be added as football only with ND haveing as maney as 4-5 BE games a year. BE will end up with 12 schools with a champ game in NYC Jets stadium. WHY? the big BE schools WVU,SU and Pitt see the handwritting on the wall can't get the 7-8 home games with only 8 schools. this story has legs!!!!! 04-cheers
No NO NO!..........Not the 12 team NCAA mandated post again. I don't know whats more annoying finger nails on a chalk board or reading this over and over and over, all over the internet....
I'll answer this by saying what about Notre Dame, PAC 10 and Big 10. Conferences and their members make up the NCAA. It's not some all knowing entity that makes decisions without input from its members. It may indeed appear that way sometime but thats not how it works. Lets say that the Big 12, ACC and SEC want 12 team conference minimums. Why would the MAC, MWC and CUSA go along? So they could all be raped again like CUSA was after the ACC expanded. Face it if the NCAA did something like this. The PAC 10 would take UTAH and BYU from the MWC. The Big 10 could take Pittsburgh forcing the Big East to add 5 schools. Now where are those schools going to come, from CUSA and the MAC. See what I mean no reason for the MAC, MWC, and CUSA to side with the ACC, SEC and Big 12 conferences. Again the conferences and its members make these calls, not the NCAA. MWC, CUSA, MAC would all side with the Big 10, PAC 10 and Big East that don't want to expand. There is no sound financial reason to expand. Why split the pie 12 ways when you can split it 8, 10 or 11 ways.
OK...I shudder to do this but lets say the Big East does decide to go to 12 teams. What makes you think the Big East would ever invite ECU? A post on some thread on the net placed ther to do nothing more than pull the Pirates collective chains? Your not one of those people that believes everything they read on the net do you? If so, let me be the first to tell you and you better sit down for this, some people on the net don't always tell the truth. The cold hard fact is the Big East doesn't want ECU, with Terry Holland or without. If Roy Kramer, who helped birth the BCS couldn't get you in, nobody can.
If the Big East goes to 12 teams the following teams will be on the Big East wish list:
Notre Dame....reports from South Bend are everywhere that the Irish want easier schedules with more home games. At one time the Big East would have give ND the farm to join, those days are slipping away fast. ND of today is not the ND of 30 or 20 years ago. Truth be told the Irish aren't the name they were 10 years ago. It won't belong before the Irish will need the Big East more than they need them. Still the Big East would take the Irish first simply because they are a partial member already.
Memphis.....The Tigers are the best Non-BCS basketball / football combination available. A couple of years in CUSA without UC, Marquette and UofL and the Tiger programs will sky rocket. The Tigers would also bring along the Liberty Bowl.
USM.....I know from comments that Tom Jurich has made that he wants very much to have the Eagles join UofL in the Big East. They may have taken a step back when their vote came up short on money for facility improvments but the Eagles will find a way to get those things done. They have a good record of doing alot with less. BTW they hired Larry Eustachy to coach basketball. Larry is Tom Jurichs best friend. They grew up next door to each other. Tom will do everything in his power to help USM for taking care of his friend. Trust me if it comes down to a choice for UofL between Tom voting for ECU or USM to join the Big East, the Eagles will get UofL's vote because of Larry.
UCF.....The Big East will want to increase its presence in the Sunshine State and the Knights were strongly considered this go around. They would be a natural travel partner for USF and may help land the Tangerine Bowl for the Big East.
Keep in mind these are my observations based on what I have read and what I have heard both publicly and privately concerning Louisville's position on Big East expansion.
CJ
11-19-2004 04:30 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Exactly what CardinalJim said. There are people who keep saying that the Big East will be forced to expand to 12 teams because of some vague NCAA mandate. Well, that means that the Big Ten and Pac-10 would be forced to expand to 12. Do you think those conference would want to expand to 12? That's why the Big Ten, Pac-10 and Big East are allies. On a side note, if the NCAA mandates 12 games then that means that the Big East will just add a 9th football-only school. Adding a football-only school would allow the Big East to play 8 conference games, 4 at home and 4 on the road, and 4 OOC games.
11-19-2004 06:57 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

lord have mercy, will this never die.

but hey - if i was in NCUSA I would probably feel the same.. Hope springs eternal.

04-drinky
11-19-2004 07:05 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

Cat's_Claw Wrote:Exactly what CardinalJim said. There are people who keep saying that the Big East will be forced to expand to 12 teams because of some vague NCAA mandate. Well, that means that the Big Ten and Pac-10 would be forced to expand to 12. Do you think those conference would want to expand to 12? That's why the Big Ten, Pac-10 and Big East are allies. On a side note, if the NCAA mandates 12 games then that means that the Big East will just add a 9th football-only school. Adding a football-only school would allow the Big East to play 8 conference games, 4 at home and 4 on the road, and 4 OOC games.

And ECU would be the most likely candidate for the 9th football school, correct?
11-20-2004 12:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.