Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...OWLS!
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out...OWLS!
Temple is finally leaving, and soon, this year soon. Not a surprise but will leave us uneven again with UMASS coming in and them out. Hopefully the MAC will survive the reshuffling game going on but I think we have a lot of teams with history with only a few "fringe" teams ie the Temple's, Marshall's, UCF's etc that come and go. We only got 6Mil for them leaving and the article doesn't mention that they were "also rans" in the MAC. You'd think they became a power house.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ource-says
03-07-2012 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
RE: Don't let the door hit you on the way out...OWLS!
Peace out.

Bowling Green, I hope you enjoyed your 3 month stay in the West.
03-07-2012 03:39 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Came here to post this story. Boom. I always hated Temple.
03-07-2012 04:38 PM
broncos24 Offline
All American

I will lose countless hours of sleep over their departure.

False.

Signed,
[Image: dwight-k-schrute-3.jpg]

Call me if you need any help carrying all of the hardware you won during your stay with the MAC.

Peace!
03-07-2012 04:52 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

From the first part of the title, I was hoping this post was about Cubit
03-07-2012 05:12 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I'm kind of over this concept of the MAC being the life raft for programs that have nowhere to go. Other than UMass, the league should look for a replacement and then once back with balanced divisions, stop the silly nonsense of "you can join us for football only."

Didn't learn a darn thing from the Marshall and UCF situations.
03-07-2012 05:28 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

NIU left in the late '80s to go big time and later came struggling back
03-07-2012 06:10 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(03-07-2012 05:28 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I'm kind of over this concept of the MAC being the life raft for programs that have nowhere to go. Other than UMass, the league should look for a replacement and then once back with balanced divisions, stop the silly nonsense of "you can join us for football only."

Didn't learn a darn thing from the Marshall and UCF situations.

In the case of UMass and in the future, they should (have been) be a tougher negotiator. You have to be invited by a conference to move up to FBS. That gives you power. Use it. It's not like the Big East is going to take a non-Villanova straight from FCS.
03-07-2012 06:13 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

There are few FBS schools out there looking for a football only membership in the MAC, if any. Unfortunately that might mean the MAC has to invite a current FCS team that wants to upgrade. It stinks but it is better than unbalanced divisions. Seems that the reshuffling of the college football world order caught everybody a bit by surprise in its rapidity.

One of the strengths of the MAC is that it has been stable. Now, we may be forced to add somebody, likely someone from outside of our footprint. If we must, I hope that it is some upwardly mobile FCS school that REALLY has it going and can compete right away and force everybody to elevate their programs.

03-banghead

I'm not one of the Temple haters. There have been plenty on the main MAC board. Just because some of their fans were insufferable doesn't really mean squat. To me it was kind of both funny and sad. Rarely have fans of a program that really never accomplished much of anything in the MAC (and was WMU's b!tch) crowed so much. But I guess when your program came from where Temple's had been, what they had accomplished must have seemed monumental. With all that said, that is just a few of Temple's fans. Temple is a good school and their athletics department just did what they felt they had to do, in the best interest of their program. I hold no will will towards them.

I just want stability, predictability (in terms of membership) and balanced divisions in the MAC.
03-07-2012 07:09 PM
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
We could always add Grand Valley... THEY think they're good enough or how about Western Kentucky so that we keep the "directional" theme going.

ONLY KIDDING!!!!

But all kidding aside, it would be nice to have balanced divisions and add a good program for ALL sports. Maybe my wifes alma mater wants in on the FBS action.... go Appalacian State ! (not totally kidding on that one)
03-07-2012 08:13 PM
broncos24 Offline
All American

Wrong thread
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 08:54 PM by broncos24.)
03-07-2012 08:54 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-07-2012 08:13 PM)kzoorob Wrote:  We could always add Grand Valley... THEY think they're good enough or how about Western Kentucky so that we keep the "directional" theme going.

ONLY KIDDING!!!!

But all kidding aside, it would be nice to have balanced divisions and add a good program for ALL sports. Maybe my wifes alma mater wants in on the FBS action.... go Appalacian State ! (not totally kidding on that one)

GV would rather be the biggest fish in a small pond and brag about it than move up and compete even at the FCS level.

I hear some who obsess on this MAC issue that schools like App St. or James Madison are the kinds we should be looking at for that slot if they are interested.
03-07-2012 09:32 PM
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I was really just poking at GV for those same reasons MileHigh, they talk the talk but.....

App St would be a good. We've been back to the campus many times since she graduated and its a great place thats really growing, fan base is good and are overall very nice people down there. Don't think it would ever happen but who knows. Personally I think the MAC is a pretty stable conference (though not big money enough to keep stable coaches intact) and IF we ever add another team to even out the divisions I hope its with someone like App st or someone who would be happy to move up and STAY here vs "using" us for something "better". BTW, how IS the grass on the other side there Marshall, UCF... done anything lately... didn't think so.
03-07-2012 09:56 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
I envy Temple. I'd kill to get into the Big East.
03-07-2012 10:06 PM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
kzoorob, I think UCF has been fairly successful since leaving the MAC.

Played in the 2005 Hawaii Bowl losing to the Rainbows 49-48 in OT
Played in the 2007 Liberty Bowl losing to Mississippi 10-3
Won 2010 Conference USA Championship Game
Beat Georgia in the 2010 Liberty Bowl 10-6

New 60 million dollar 45,000+ Bright House Field
http://www.ucfathletics.com/facilities/u...e-bio.html
03-08-2012 10:11 AM
notauser Offline
1st String

(03-07-2012 07:09 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  One of the strengths of the MAC is that it has been stable. Now, we may be forced to add somebody, likely someone from outside of our footprint. If we must, I hope that it is some upwardly mobile FCS school that REALLY has it going and can compete right away and force everybody to elevate their programs.

The MAC should do nothing for a few seasons, no need to change direction. UMAss is about being in the Boston market anyways. 13 schools isn't ideal, but they knew Temple wanted out from day one. You don't pay a fortune for playing in an NFL stadium to play in the MAC.

Someone mentioned Richmond which I did think was interesting, but really I don't know that it gives the conference more exposure. Really if they can't get a marginally better TV package or bowl scenario out of it, what's the point to adding someone?
03-08-2012 11:11 AM
Advertisement

kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
^Good point. I wonder if we just sit tight and wait for all these other conferences to implode if we can't pick someone decent up looking for some stability. Maybe not and maybe the mac will be hit as well but as Will Ferrell says "this is no time to freak out!!" Just sit tight and wait it out. Still wouldn't be surprised if the big conferences somehow find a way to break out and do there own thing.
03-08-2012 12:47 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
During their time in the MAC Temple never beat a MAC team with a winning reccord
03-08-2012 01:02 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

I don't get the hate for Temple. As a MAC alum and the fan of an A-10 team (GW), this is a big loss for both leagues. A-10 because it's the best, most consistent basketball team. Xavier has nothing on Temple. Plus in football, being an East Coaster, WMU played a couple times in Philly (once since I moved here) and I still shoot myself in the foot for not going to that in 2008. I am envious of other residents who are so fortunate to see their schools play locally here all the time. I'd love for WMU to play at American or even GW or Georgetown or MD, but it will never happen.
03-08-2012 08:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
We managed to lose at Towson last year. Where were you?
03-08-2012 09:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.