Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Affiliation
Bookmark and Share
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
Conference Affiliation
I know of a lot of people in Kansas that would love to see Wichita find a new home outside of the MVC. I think not having any kind of football hurts us and leaves us with few, if any, options.

Option 1 - Hope the new MWC/CUSA conference would take non-football schools.

Option 2 - Step down to the Horizon and hope it continues to trend upward.

Option 3 - Hope the A-10 wants to go to 16 and wouldn't be opposed of going farther West and adding Wichita and Creighton.

None of the option look all that promising and it appears we're stuck in a conference that has too many schools that can't financially do what needs to be done to escalate the conference and their programs. Outside of Creighton and Wichita it gets a little shaky. Bradley I think could be up there with CU and WSU. UNI is at it's limit. MSU is in financial disarray. I like ISU, but not sure they have the finances to really bump themselves too much higher. That and they're focused on improving football with hopes of moving to the MAC some day. Drake is a small private school that can't go much farther. The two Indiana schools (ISUb and Evansville) are hopeless. Pretty sad when you have a head coach (ISUb) that left to take a job as an assistant elsewhere. SIU is a mess.

Life in The Valley...
03-07-2012 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shocker3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Conference Affiliation
A lot of things have changed since that post nearly a year ago. But in spire of all of the changes nationally, the Shockers options still look pretty limited.
01-12-2013 03:05 AM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Now we're still hoping for anything. It looks more and more like Creighton will end up joining the C7. If they ever go to more than 12 we have an outside shot at that. There were a few rumblings that the MWC could eventually add a couple of nonfootball schools to strengthen and already strong basketball coference. That could be more likely if they land Tulsa. The A10 looks like it's going to be stripped of it's best schools and no longer looks attractive. Some rumblings that the BE might look into nonfootball members again and that could be a thought. Especially if they land Tulsa. Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, USF and UCF as well as Memphis are all in areas we recruit. Plus it currently has Cincy, UConn and will have Temple. Strong league and more money.

Otherwise, we're looking at replacing Creighton. If SLU or Dayton somehow get left out of the C7 they'd be targeted. Then we could also look at ORU, Denver, Arlington, NDSU, SDSU, Belmont, Murray State, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wright State as either replacements or to move to 12. Would take a bit of a hit but some of those have potential to keep the MVC semi respectable.

I'd rather get out. Especially if CU leaves. UNI and ISU could look to upgrade football in the next decade and be gone. I do wonder if we could get into a conference with the promise of adding football in X amount of years. The new president seems open to the idea once he gets a few things taken care of.
01-12-2013 09:43 AM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

It is going to take a windfall to land football that quick. We need to upgrade things, starting with campus life.

We have started, just need to be a little patient and realize there are not many options for those schools who will sit and wait. I think we should reach out to the other basketball programs that do not fit in with the C7 and start our own.

Long LONG SHOT, but if you think about it, what schools would be possibilities:

Wichita State
Oral Roberts
Virginia Commonwealth
Richmond
George Washington
George Mason
UT-Arlington
??????
Denver
??????
Bradley
Illinois-Chicago
01-14-2013 08:07 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

(01-14-2013 08:07 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  It is going to take a windfall to land football that quick. We need to upgrade things, starting with campus life.

We have started, just need to be a little patient and realize there are not many options for those schools who will sit and wait. I think we should reach out to the other basketball programs that do not fit in with the C7 and start our own.

Long LONG SHOT, but if you think about it, what schools would be possibilities:

Wichita State
Oral Roberts
Virginia Commonwealth
Richmond
George Washington
George Mason
UT-Arlington
??????
Denver
??????
Bradley
Illinois-Chicago
As far as football, with the right plan and leadership (not sure Sexton is or isn't that) the Koch and Devlin's of the world would be there to help. I know Bardo wants to drive enrollment up before taking on such a project and respect that. However, if a conference said you can join and have to start football up in 5 years or so, I think we could do it and find the money. I also think it MAY help drive enrollment as people love football and it would generate a buzz and excitement. I understand that's not likely but it's something that isn't impossible.

The new conference is interesting. Looking at a 6/6 E/W split....

East - VCU, G. Mason, G. Washington, Belmont, Wright State, ???

West - Wichita, Arlington, Bradley, UIC, ORU, Milwaukee

Other options would be Denver, Richmond, Murray State, Davidson, CoC, Duquesne, Cleveland State and Siena. There may be others.

If my map loads correctly, black are the ones I have and gray are the other possible options just for the sake of seeing locations....roughly.

.jpg  Made up Conference.JPG (Size: 41.98 KB / Downloads: 21)
01-15-2013 11:32 AM
Special Teams

I think that could work.
01-19-2013 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Waterford Rider Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois State
As for Milwaukee, I have read that they are thinking about adding football. If they do, would they still be desirable to you?
02-21-2013 06:48 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I've cooled on Milwaukee some since I've heard they're having financial issues. There's also been talk about VCU and Arlington looking into football.
02-22-2013 10:25 AM
r2pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(03-07-2012 11:42 AM)SubGod22 Wrote:  I know of a lot of people in Kansas that would love to see Wichita find a new home outside of the MVC. I think not having any kind of football hurts us and leaves us with few, if any, options.

Option 1 - Hope the new MWC/CUSA conference would take non-football schools.

Option 2 - Step down to the Horizon and hope it continues to trend upward.

Option 3 - Hope the A-10 wants to go to 16 and wouldn't be opposed of going farther West and adding Wichita and Creighton.

None of the option look all that promising and it appears we're stuck in a conference that has too many schools that can't financially do what needs to be done to escalate the conference and their programs. Outside of Creighton and Wichita it gets a little shaky. Bradley I think could be up there with CU and WSU. UNI is at it's limit. MSU is in financial disarray. I like ISU, but not sure they have the finances to really bump themselves too much higher. That and they're focused on improving football with hopes of moving to the MAC some day. Drake is a small private school that can't go much farther. The two Indiana schools (ISUb and Evansville) are hopeless. Pretty sad when you have a head coach (ISUb) that left to take a job as an assistant elsewhere. SIU is a mess.

Life in The Valley...

From ECU I am hoping Wichita comes into AAC with Navy.....pulling for you guys to win it all.....best of lucks:)
04-03-2013 09:37 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Thanks
04-04-2013 08:45 AM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: B1G, Bradley
Hey on the bright side Evansville could bolt for the horizon and the MVC could add Murray state or ORU which would help
04-06-2014 02:19 PM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Both would be a huge upgrade over Evansville. I don't think Evansville will ever be serious about contending for anything. So many schools in the Valley with small thinkers...
04-08-2014 12:05 PM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

Historically the valley has very competent programs, save the ville and Loyola (still really mad about adding them), so I don't know what you mean by small thinkers unless you are talking about expansion I mean geez oral bob, Murray, valpo, and Milwaukee are all preferable to Loyola and would've come in a second, really worried about the vision the conference has and I believe my alma mater is at the head of the problem
04-08-2014 06:07 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Evansville isn't the only small thinker in my mind. Missouri State has no desire to retain a successful coach. I'm not sure what Drake can accomplish. UNI is solid, but I think they're essentially at their ceiling. They'll have to occasional at-large year and be consistent, but I'm not sure they can do more than they are. I don't know how dedicated Indiana State really is. I think Illinios State is probably too focused on football and just not sure they'll turn things around on the court. Muller seems to be doing his best to get them into trouble. SIU is in a rough spot after Lowery ruined their program.

I wasn't a fan of Loyola at all, but I do see the potential for success long term. I think they need to get rid of Moser though as he's proven to be a less than stellar coach. If they're committed to spending money to build up basketball I'll give them some time to see what they can accomplish.

With that said, I'd have rather gone after Murray, ORU and maybe Milwaukee/Green Bay. I know Milwaukee has had some financial issues and if they're beyond that, I'd be open to considering them. I also liked the thought of Denver. It's another private that's investing in basketball, but I've heard that the MVC wanted them to add baseball/softball as a condition for entering and they didn't want to. I do think if we do expand, or replace someone that leaves, we'll get another school that keeps the geography as tight as possible as travel costs seem to be more important than making the conference better.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of NDSU and/or SDSU. They're newer to DI but have had some solid success and could probably improve with better conference affiliation. I doubt they're ever allowed in though. If the conference ever goes to 12, I'd expect ORU to get in. They make too much sense for the MVC. Valpo would probably get the nod as well although I'm personally less excited about them.

IF Missouri State ever does leave for football, like their fans have been claiming for the past 5 years, I think ORU gets the nod due to proximity to WSU for travel partner reasons. And if there were a way to do it, I'd like to bring New Mexico State in for everything but football. I believe they play football in the Sun Belt and everything else in the WAC. But they'd never get the votes needed due to distance.

And back to small thinkers, I think Elgin is one of them. He's done some good for the conference, but I think we'd do well to get some new blood there.
04-09-2014 01:20 PM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

1. fair enough on drake and even MO St but all this junk about them being committed to football makes you think they are. But your right, they didn't try and keep Cuonzo which was moronic. Honestly fibs upgrade would be a nightmare for them but whatever. But siu is getting a lot better they are set to be real good.Until proven otherwise I think schools like Bradley only wanted Loyola because of their large percentage of students who hail from there (including yours truly)

Murray would be my number one replacement if a football school leaves (obviously ORU would get nod if MO state left so the shockers wouldn't be left alone) I like the Dakotas and with how close the conference is geographically, I think the geographic focus is stupid but its definitely a focus :(. NMSU would be my first choice for an outlier though, I love their basketball and baseball programs which are important to our conference, and look at the big 12, my Ku buddy (I'm sure you got some in Wichita) always says he doesn't care wvu is far away we the jayhawks barely travel there so I think NMSU's TV and tourney value more than make up for travel, but I digress.

My top 3 adds ORU, Murray nmsu, in that order. If we lose MO state and add UMKC (over oru) to keep "public-private balance" then I'm all for Bradley being a geographic outlier in the a10 after slu leaves and feel free to join us, UMKC is just the worst add in my oppinion
04-09-2014 04:12 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I can't disagree with any of that really. I do think SIU can turn it around but it was going to take a little time to recover from the mess Lowery left them in.

I've never though geography should be a big focus which is why I like NMSU so much. They bring a lot to the table. Denver still intrigues me. Murray would be a good add. I keep an eye on Arlington to see if they ever get their act together, but I'm losing hope. A handful of years ago I'd heard they were committing to improving basketball and who wouldn't like to have a presence in Dallas? Even if they don't register as a big deal? But that dream has died.

I've seen people mention UMKC and I think I'd burn down the MVC HQ if that happened. There may be a time down the road where they get their act together, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. And after adding Loyola, if we have to make another addition it has to be someone who can help now and down the road and not be just a market or potential contender in the future sort of thing.

Although if MSU leaves, it does put the MVC in an odd spot. ORU makes sense as a travel partner and solid basketball/baseball program, but Murray would be a solid football replacement with good basketball as well. Personally, I think the MVC should have gone to 12 a few years back to help protect it from defections.

My personal list starts with NMSU, then any of ORU, Murray, XDSUs. Schools I continue to monitor just to see if they ever make a jump are Milwaukee, Green Bay, Denver, Wright State. Longer term watches are Arlington, Little Rock, UMKC and Omaha.

All of the above is based on the odds of getting SLU and Dayton are less than .000000000000001%
04-10-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

Denver is so so I can take it or leave it only because I wouldn't want to stretch the footprint unless its a home run add (nmsu). Uta I agree with you, in the same boat as du to me, if they get basketball going I would love it but now I'm apathetic.

I have it on pretty good authority that MO St is gone, which means jack to me as long as UMKC isn't next. ORU is Bradley's choice (I think the conference actual would benefit from MSU, oru swith). Murray would get back to 10 football but 9 and round robin is 8 is pretty good too. Only fear is summit having same number of fball schools as valley, but if they tried to split Youngstown would stay mvfc and we could just add the xdsu's so we won't lose leverage.

Nmsu is sun belt bound I think but we will see, slu is big east bound. Dayton is my dream, i think big east may say no(xavier) and a10 could lose more than slu and the other be add for football reasons (umass, maybe vcu). Maybe one day the a10 will be equal to MVC and if Dayton is still there they will join the MVC.
04-10-2014 04:26 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I agree that SLU won't happen unless the Big East absolutely comes out and says it will not expand. But in the mean time, the MVC would have to improve as well to make it a desirable destination for an A10 school like SLU or Dayton. Right now, we make zero sense even if the Big East weren't an option.

And I understand the thoughts on Denver. They're a lot like Loyola but have had more recent success, even though that success hasn't been earth shattering. Lots of money in a major market and are pumping funds into basketball. They're now in my second tier of schools as pointed out above. Really, if MSU does leave, I think there are only two options in ORU and Murray. If Murray, that leaves Wichita's closest conference rival in Des Moines I believe. I've never made the drive but it's between 6 and 7 hours I think. Compared to the 2 hours or so to Tulsa.
04-11-2014 07:34 PM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm pretty sure MO state will leave in a couple years if they have a spot, and I at least hope our replaces them but we shall see
04-16-2014 03:04 PM
Special Teams

Conference Affiliation
There are no adequate replacements for MSU or ISU. If they leave, we take another HUGE hit in budget and competitiveness.

The fewer strong programs to pull up the lower ones, the less strength the conference will have.

As for Muller, someone is not paying attention. To change the attitude, you have to change people or people have to change. Don't want to change, the the highway. See LSU this year casting off a Senior PG that started 80 games.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-19-2014 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.