Good, Bad & Ugly
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Good, Bad & Ugly
Good: average basketball attendance - Syracuse 27,460
Bad & Ugly: average football attendance - Duke 26,571
03-05-2012 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Good, Bad & Ugly
YIKES
03-05-2012 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(03-05-2012 12:36 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Good: average basketball attendance - Syracuse 27,460
Bad & Ugly: average football attendance - Duke 26,571

I've seen more than that at the Spring Orange & White game.
03-05-2012 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Not to question your math but...I'm not buying the Duke number. 26,571 is 78% of capacity. To get that would mean selling out 3 or 4 of the 7 games. They did host FSU and VT this year so I can see 26k ticket sales. I just don't believe they had 186k in actual attendance. There was something like 5k there for the Richmond game!
03-05-2012 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2012 02:39 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Not to question your math but...I'm not buying the Duke number. 26,571 is 78% of capacity. To get that would mean selling out 3 or 4 of the 7 games. They did host FSU and VT this year so I can see 26k ticket sales. I just don't believe they had 186k in actual attendance. There was something like 5k there for the Richmond game!

That is the number reported through the NCAA. However, I think they leave it up to each school to count attendance however they wish (some use turnstiles, others just report tickets sold, etc.)

I was just amazed to find a combination of teams in a BCS league where one has more attendance in basketball than another has in football... that should NEVER happen.
03-05-2012 03:00 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(03-05-2012 03:00 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 02:39 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Not to question your math but...I'm not buying the Duke number. 26,571 is 78% of capacity. To get that would mean selling out 3 or 4 of the 7 games. They did host FSU and VT this year so I can see 26k ticket sales. I just don't believe they had 186k in actual attendance. There was something like 5k there for the Richmond game!

That is the number reported through the NCAA. However, I think they leave it up to each school to count attendance however they wish (some use turnstiles, others just report tickets sold, etc.)

I was just amazed to find a combination of teams in a BCS league where one has more attendance in basketball than another has in football... that should NEVER happen.
Agreed. I guess my point was that the SU number is probably close to actual attendance while the Duke number is nowhere close.

To be fair though, how many schools have a 33k seat basketball arena? If Duke could play BB in Wallace-Wade they would have SU numbers for attendance.

I'm curious what Kentucky's numbers look like.
03-05-2012 04:29 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
(03-05-2012 04:29 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 03:00 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

To be fair though, how many schools have a 33k seat basketball arena? If Duke could play BB in Wallace-Wade they would have SU numbers for attendance.

+1 percentage is probably a better number to compare.
03-05-2012 05:18 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2012 04:29 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  If Duke could play BB in Wallace-Wade they would have SU numbers for attendance.

1) with football attendance numbers that LOW, perhaps the real question is what if Duke played football in Cameron...?

2) Kentucky ended up a little higher than Syracuse (a few hundred, I think). I'm thinking both schools broke the old record for basketball, but I'm not sure.
03-05-2012 05:19 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline

These numbers show why it was a bad idea for the ACC to institute a rule where Duke couldn't sell their home games to other conference teams. They can't be making all that much money with attendance numbers like that, so it would be a financial boost for them, and it's not like they enjoy a homefield advantage....other than past Clemson teams have talked about how it was hard to get up for a game when you were playing in front of high school sized crowds.
03-06-2012 01:22 AM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-06-2012 01:22 AM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  These numbers show why it was a bad idea for the ACC to institute a rule where Duke couldn't sell their home games to other conference teams. They can't be making all that much money with attendance numbers like that, so it would be a financial boost for them, and it's not like they enjoy a homefield advantage....other than past Clemson teams have talked about how it was hard to get up for a game when you were playing in front of high school sized crowds.

I wonder why Duke does not put more effort into their football team. If they hired a decent coach they could probably turn it around somewhat.
I guess they figure it is not worth their while.
03-07-2012 02:06 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2012 02:06 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  I wonder why Duke does not put more effort into their football team. If they hired a decent coach they could probably turn it around somewhat.

Duke actually has a good football coaching staff now. Their problem (IMO) has been that they are the 5th best FBS school in a state with 9.5 million people. 5th best in Texas (25.1 million) & Florida (18.8 million) still draw well, but not in NC. That's just no way to build a fan base... and their ceiling is probably 3rd or 4th most years - they just aren't going to top UNC and NC St over a long period of time, which would be needed to build that base.
03-07-2012 05:40 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

The 27k average was only including Big East home games. With OOC games we averaged like 23k.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 06:36 AM by OrangeCrush22.)
03-07-2012 06:35 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2012 04:29 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Agreed. I guess my point was that the SU number is probably close to actual attendance while the Duke number is nowhere close.

If students don't show up, then I doubt it.
03-07-2012 06:37 AM
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline

(03-07-2012 05:40 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 02:06 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  I wonder why Duke does not put more effort into their football team. If they hired a decent coach they could probably turn it around somewhat.

Duke actually has a good football coaching staff now. Their problem (IMO) has been that they are the 5th best FBS school in a state with 9.5 million people. 5th best in Texas (25.1 million) & Florida (18.8 million) still draw well, but not in NC. That's just no way to build a fan base... and their ceiling is probably 3rd or 4th most years - they just aren't going to top UNC and NC St over a long period of time, which would be needed to build that base.

Duke simply doesn't care. If they did care they wouldn't be knocking hard at the door of a 20 year losing season streak.

Wake Forest has every disadvantage that Duke has and then some because of the small enrollment, thus smaller alumni base. However Wake has not only been able to field a competitive football team in the conference, they have done something the two large public schools they share the state with have been unable to do and that is not only compete but win a conference championship.

A lot of the fanbases of ACC schools, including a significant portion of Clemson's, looks down at Wake Forest but I not only respect what they have done under Grobe, I find myself pulling for them like I do FSU, VT, and GT becuse unlike the rest of the conference they actually care about football. This ain't your father's Wake Forest football program, and even if Grobe were to leave I don't see them taking a step back. No reason whatsoever that Duke couldn't replicate at least somewhat of the same level of success.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 07:22 PM by catdaddy_2402.)
03-07-2012 07:21 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(03-05-2012 02:39 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  There was something like 5k there for the Richmond game!

If I had a multiple game losing streak against a FCS school, I wouldn't show my face in public either.
03-07-2012 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.