Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Michigan Primary
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Michigan Primary
Michigan means a lot more to Santorum than it does Romney. If Santorum wins, he has cemented his joint-front runner status and the battle rages on. If Romney wins, then Santorum was another popularity swing that has little meaning in the long run.

Here are the polling trends:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elections/...t_mode=new

I don't think anyone on this board actually wants Santorum to win.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 09:21 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
02-28-2012 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: Michigan Primary
(02-28-2012 09:19 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Michigan means a lot more to Santorum than it does Romney. If Santorum wins, he has cemented his joint-front runner status and the battle rages on.

In Romney's home state, no less, which would be even more telling.

I know this has been covered in several other threads, so I won't reiterate much. But the GOP should take serious note of the shifting attitudes of the up-and-coming generation, particularly on social issues and foreign policy, and decide how it wants to change with it... if at all.

Political party speaking, there currently exists a complete absence of a home for those who are warm to fiscal conservatism, hold a more socially tolerant attitude toward different lifestyles, and carry a more non-interventionist approach to world conflicts. The Libertarian Party is perceived (fairly or not) as too much of a purist "all or nothing" party that has found it difficult to resonate with enough of the mainstream to pull off a major national election.
02-28-2012 09:33 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(02-28-2012 09:33 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(02-28-2012 09:19 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Michigan means a lot more to Santorum than it does Romney. If Santorum wins, he has cemented his joint-front runner status and the battle rages on.

In Romney's home state, no less, which would be even more telling.

I know this has been covered in several other threads, so I won't reiterate much. But the GOP should take serious note of the shifting attitudes of the up-and-coming generation, particularly on social issues and foreign policy, and decide how it wants to change with it... if at all.

Political party speaking, there currently exists a complete absence of a home for those who are warm to fiscal conservatism, hold a more socially tolerant attitude toward different lifestyles, and carry a more non-interventionist approach to world conflicts. The Libertarian Party is perceived (fairly or not) as too much of a purist "all or nothing" party that has found it difficult to resonate with enough of the mainstream to pull off a major national election.

You could join the Whig Party:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Whig_Party

Quote:The six tenets of the Modern Whig philosophy are:

Fiscal responsibility – "The Modern Whig philosophy is to empower the states with the resources to handle their unique affairs."

Energy independence – "Reduce dependence on foreign oil by developing practical sources of alternative energy. This will have the simultaneous effect of changing the national security dynamic."

Education/Scientific advancement – "Increased public and private emphasis on fields such as space, oceanic, medical and nanotechnology. Also, providing common-sense solutions to enhance our educational system from pre-school to university-level studies."

States' rights – "Each state can determine its course of action based on local values and unique needs."

Social progression – "Government should refrain from legislating morality."

Veterans' affairs – "Vigilant advocacy relating to the medical, financial, and overall well-being of our military families and veterans."
02-28-2012 09:37 AM
Advertisement

Zaphod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rationality
(02-28-2012 09:33 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I know this has been covered in several other threads, so I won't reiterate much. But the GOP should take serious note of the shifting attitudes of the up-and-coming generation, particularly on social issues and foreign policy, and decide how it wants to change with it... if at all.

I don't know, I know multiple people in that age group that voted for Obama the last time around (or would have) that are crossing party lines today to show their support for a Santorum candidacy. Clearly they are swayed by his social and foreign policy stances.

05-stirthepot
02-28-2012 02:35 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(02-28-2012 09:19 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  I don't think anyone on this board actually wants Santorum to win.

Don't the Democrats want him to win the nomination? I assume he's less electable than Romney.
02-28-2012 02:39 PM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(02-28-2012 02:39 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(02-28-2012 09:19 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  I don't think anyone on this board actually wants Santorum to win.

Don't the Democrats want him to win the nomination? I assume he's less electable than Romney.

Wanting him to win so that he can lose isn't really wanting him to win. I guess I really meant to say that nobody on this board actually support Santorum. At least, nobody that has said so publicly.
02-28-2012 02:41 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

"According to the Daily Kos, who launched this campaign, Operation Hilarity is "an opportunity for Democrats to actually help prolong this election a little bit longer because we’ve seen that the longer this drags out, the worse it is for Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum and the best it is for Barack Obama."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...torum.html
02-28-2012 02:43 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
The country would have to be in a coma to re-elect Obaffon.
02-28-2012 02:53 PM
Max Power Online
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
(02-28-2012 02:41 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

Wanting him to win so that he can lose isn't really wanting him to win. I guess I really meant to say that nobody on this board actually support Santorum. At least, nobody that has said so publicly.

I definitely want him to win the GOP nomination so Obama can cruise. If Illinois had an open primary I'd be voting Santorum for teh lulz.

"Who did you vote for?"
"Rick Santorum"
"Lulz"
"Lulz"
02-28-2012 03:00 PM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(02-28-2012 03:00 PM)Max Power Wrote:  

I definitely want him to win the GOP nomination so Obama can cruise. If Illinois had an open primary I'd be voting Santorum for teh lulz.

"Who did you vote for?"
"Rick Santorum"
"Lulz"
"Lulz"

Again, there are no outed Rick Santorum supporters on this board.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 03:03 PM by AtlanticLeague.)
02-28-2012 03:02 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators

Ah, got it. I think you're right, although it's clear some here favor his spiritual stance(s). I think in terms of characterizing actual support, we've got: 1) Those in favor of Obama, 2) Those in favor of "whoever will be most likely to defeat Obama" (presumably Romney at this time but will shift to Santorum if he gains enough momentum), and 3) "Really, these are my choices? This is the best I can hope for? What a f'ing mess."

I'm firmly in #3.
02-28-2012 03:33 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(02-28-2012 09:19 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Michigan means a lot more to Santorum than it does Romney. If Santorum wins, he has cemented his joint-front runner status and the battle rages on. If Romney wins, then Santorum was another popularity swing that has little meaning in the long run.

Here are the polling trends:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elections/...t_mode=new

I don't think anyone on this board actually wants Santorum to win.

I most certainly do want him to win the nomination. Would be hilarious. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that it would happen, but I'm definitely rooting for it.

Internet was being weird, I see you've now clarified your statement. Bull In Exile isn't a Santorum supporter? He's pretty hard line religious, one would think the awesome character is almost certainly a fan.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 05:43 PM by HuskieFan84.)
02-28-2012 05:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.