Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Expension Candidates.
Bookmark and Share
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
MAC Expension Candidates.
Quote:MAC:
The MAC has an will likely always be a regional conference in the Ohio and Michigan area. The only two school likely to move on would be the 2 football only members, Temple and UMass. But as one of the only even somewhat eastern conferences that would accept FCS upgrades, you could see it as a transitional home for schools in the area such as JMU, Delaware, Charlotte, Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St. and ODU. Note that each of those schools would prefer the SEC, ACC or Big East, but they will not be options. They all would likely want into the CUSA/MWC merger if they upgraded, but even that is not likely. The Sun Belt might have room for 1-2 from the south. But it’s the MAC that would be the only real option, with the conference accepting the basketball scheduling agreement as part of the pact.

Probability of expanding in the near future: unlikely. If FCS schools upgrade, the MAC could show interest.

Candidates:
JMU
Delaware
Charlotte
Appalachian St.
Georgia Southern
Georgia St.
ODU

What do the MAC fans out there think about this article I found today? I have never considered my beloved school as a possible addition to the MAC but if one of our possible rivals were to join us, especially Georgia State or Appalachian State then I would be very excited about the possibility. This could expand the conference footprint and possibly help current MAC schools with recruiting the southeast. I know it's a long shot but I just wanted to hear what MAC fans thought about this if it were to ever gain traction.
02-20-2012 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: MAC Expension Candidates.
(02-20-2012 06:53 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  
The MAC has an will likely always be a regional conference in the Ohio and Michigan area. The only two school likely to move on would be the 2 football only members, Temple and UMass. But as one of the only even somewhat eastern conferences that would accept FCS upgrades, you could see it as a transitional home for schools in the area such as JMU, Delaware, Charlotte, Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St. and ODU. Note that each of those schools would prefer the SEC, ACC or Big East, but they will not be options. They all would likely want into the CUSA/MWC merger if they upgraded, but even that is not likely. The Sun Belt might have room for 1-2 from the south. But it’s the MAC that would be the only real option, with the conference accepting the basketball scheduling agreement as part of the pact.

Probability of expanding in the near future: unlikely. If FCS schools upgrade, the MAC could show interest.

Candidates:
JMU
Delaware
Charlotte
Appalachian St.
Georgia Southern
Georgia St.
ODU

What do the MAC fans out there think about this article I found today? I have never considered my beloved school as a possible addition to the MAC but if one of our possible rivals were to join us, especially Georgia State or Appalachian State then I would be very excited about the possibility. This could expand the conference footprint and possibly help current MAC schools with recruiting the southeast. I know it's a long shot but I just wanted to hear what MAC fans thought about this if it were to ever gain traction.

We've had a lot of threads dealing with this issues.

Essentially the MAC is a 14 FB team Midwest/East type conference.

IF, IF, IF MAC wanted to go to 16 football teams first choices would be IL State (rival for NIU) and Army.

IF both say no, then JMU and Delaware make sense IF the MAC feels the need to get to 16.

I like Appy State and Ga. Southern but they really don't fit the footprint as well as the 4 other schools I mentioned.
02-20-2012 08:03 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-20-2012 06:53 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  

Candidates:
JMU
Delaware
Charlotte
Appalachian St.
Georgia Southern
Georgia St.
ODU

If the MAC loses Temple and UMass I'm not even sure they try to expand again. 12 is enough and unless something really great comes along or the conference gets raided beyond the FBall only I doubt the conference will expand, nor would I want it to.

Picking up one or two school out of out footprint would be *really* distasteful..
02-20-2012 08:10 AM
zipsfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Akron/MAC
All of this speculation of conference movement is getting ridiculous. The boards have listed Akron, NIU, Toledo, Buffalo, UMASS, and Temple as possible canidates to move. I doubt any of them would even consider a move to a newly formed conference. If any of these schools were in different conferences, it would make sense for them to solicit the MAC.

Our conference has a smart footprint. The idea of adding schools doesn't make sense. We would be splitting our revenues in more directions. The idea of subtracting doesn't make sense because a school would be moving just for the sake of moving. Unless a BCS conference is making a move, I can't see any MAC school being interested. Unfortunately if a BCS conference is making a move, I can't see them interested in any MAC school.
02-20-2012 09:18 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-20-2012 09:18 AM)zipsfan Wrote:  All of this speculation of conference movement is getting ridiculous. The boards have listed Akron, NIU, Toledo, Buffalo, UMASS, and Temple as possible canidates to move. I doubt any of them would even consider a move to a newly formed conference. If any of these schools were in different conferences, it would make sense for them to solicit the MAC.

Our conference has a smart footprint. The idea of adding schools doesn't make sense. We would be splitting our revenues in more directions. The idea of subtracting doesn't make sense because a school would be moving just for the sake of moving. Unless a BCS conference is making a move, I can't see any MAC school being interested. Unfortunately if a BCS conference is making a move, I can't see them interested in any MAC school.

I agree with Zipsfan, but IL State and Army would be too good to pass up.

Army? MAC fans like to dream TOO! 05-stirthepot
02-20-2012 09:27 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-20-2012 09:27 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-20-2012 09:18 AM)zipsfan Wrote:  All of this speculation of conference movement is getting ridiculous. The boards have listed Akron, NIU, Toledo, Buffalo, UMASS, and Temple as possible canidates to move. I doubt any of them would even consider a move to a newly formed conference. If any of these schools were in different conferences, it would make sense for them to solicit the MAC.

I agree with Zipsfan, but IL State and Army would be too good to pass up.

Look I don't think anyone is opposed to 16 on principle but it needs to be a sensible move. The one you proposed is such a move..

1) Took Temple because of the hoops game and the market. It has been about equally beneficial to both parties (maybe a bit more to Temple)

2) Took UMass to even out divisions

*IF* the MAC expands it better not be football only and it better fit within the current footprint.

As much as I would love Stony Brook / Army / Albany(ish) or UD, UNH because the benefit UB I could easily see SEMO, SEIU, ISU, UNI, ..... Because they fit on the west..

A baby step outside out footprint or filling the gap between UB and UMass/Temple are all acceptable moves (again for the right kind of schools/teams)
02-20-2012 09:42 AM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(02-20-2012 06:53 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  What do the MAC fans out there think about this article I found today? I have never considered my beloved school as a possible addition to the MAC but if one of our possible rivals were to join us, especially Georgia State or Appalachian State then I would be very excited about the possibility. This could expand the conference footprint and possibly help current MAC schools with recruiting the southeast. I know it's a long shot but I just wanted to hear what MAC fans thought about this if it were to ever gain traction.

With the amount of candidates in the East for the MAC to work with I think its going to be difficult for Georgia Southern to make their way into the MAC unless the MAC decides to go with 20 schools.

I guess opinions are varied as to how large the MAC should go but with the exception of a few years the MAC has always been a 13 to 14 team football conference since 1997.

I'm alright with the idea of taking JMU and ASU as all-sport members into the MAC. Anybody else in the east is too far for an all-sport membership. Even Delaware or ODU are too far from the footprint. Charlotte I guess would be okay for the MAC but they've never played a down of football. They'll need 5-10 more years.

I like Illinois State as a backup if Toledo or Northern Illinois were to leave. The travel with ISU is reasonable for MAC schools and they add a name school to the MAC. I don't mind doubling up in Illinois since its such a large state.

Army is a candidate to join Navy in the Big East and so I don't consider them even on the table for the MAC.

Georgia State, Charlotte, Old Dominion are larger CUSA type market schools.

Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, James Madison are small market residential campus schools that have more of the MAC formula. One issue with Georgia So. is its so far from the existing MAC footprint. I could see Georgia So. and College of Charleston making a nice package deal for the CAA before I could see Georgia Southern in the MAC. Georgia State could be heading to the Sun Belt opening a spot up in the CAA.
02-20-2012 09:54 AM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Again, I know that many enjoy these hypothetical threads, but Illinois State has indicated no interest in upgrading to DIA football and joining the MAC. No way Army would come, either.
02-20-2012 10:28 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(02-20-2012 09:27 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I agree with Zipsfan, but IL State and Army would be too good to pass up.

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/Football2012/Independents

"Army - Army has a contract for home game telecasts with CBS Sports Network, with the exception of the Army-Navy game which is handled separately. The contract is for five years, ending after the 2014 season."

Army could join the MAC at the earliest for the 2015 season.

Looking at their future schedule, they currently do not have any major scheduling conflicts that would impair this move. They could keep their 4 OOC games as national as they would like and it would give some stability to their travel budget. It wouldn't be a downgrade in schedule for them as they already play 5 or so MAC teams and 2 other non-AQ teams a year.
02-20-2012 10:30 AM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
C'mon guys...will you stop with the Army stuff? Ain't happening and we all know it.
02-20-2012 10:54 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2012 10:28 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Again, I know that many enjoy these hypothetical threads, but Illinois State has indicated no interest in upgrading to DIA football and joining the MAC. No way Army would come, either.

Illinois State isn't ready for MAC football yet averaging only 8,000 in a run down stadium.

With the new stadium upgrade and better recruiting they COULD put themselves in a position 5-10 years of making themselves a solid MAC candidate.

One of the problems for ISU moving up is the MAC West has too many schools in it. Also if the MAC is going to head to 16, that might push Miami over to the West which then furthers the logjam.

Just from what I'm observing, the conference seems to prefer having Bowling Green always in the west for the BG-Toledo rivalry and Miami in the East with its historic ties in NE Ohio. No realignment then should upset the West-East balance or go beyond 14 members.

Temple, UMass, Toledo all go to the alliance......

West: NIU, Illinois St, Ball St, WMU, CMU, EMU, Bowling Green
East: Miami, Ohio, Kent St, Akron, Buffalo, James Madison, ASU

14 schools all sport with everyone having at least one other major rival in its division. This would place Ohio square in the middle of the East division.

Drivable within 4-5 hours (East Division)

Miami (Ohio, Kent St, Akron)
Ohio (Miami, Kent St, Akron, ASU, James Madison)
Kent (Miami, Ohio, Akron, Buffalo)
Akron (Miami, Ohio, Kent St, Buffalo)
Buffalo (Kent St, Akron)
James Madison (Ohio, ASU)
ASU (Ohio, James Madison)

With this set up at least Buffalo, JMU, ASU have two schools a piece within easy driving distance which is about as good as what those schools are going to be able to do unless they get into the ACC (not happening).
02-20-2012 11:06 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-20-2012 10:28 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Again, I know that many enjoy these hypothetical threads, but Illinois State has indicated no interest in upgrading to DIA football and joining the MAC. No way Army would come, either.

Yea, if we were going to add a school I'd like a nearby one that could generate a rivalry, but I don't see any Illinois schools ready to make the move. If we're at 14 schools, no need to add anyone. If Temple and UMass leave, we still don't need to add anyone but if we do, I'd want it to be all sports. I don't mind expanding the conference footprint a little but it needs to still be fairly close or it won't really be tenable long-term, all it would do is lead to more instability as the farther-away schools look for a better fit.

I do think ASU and Georgia State would be good adds for an FBS conference that's geographically suitable, perhaps the Sunbelt. I haven't compared the relative distances between the schools that have been mentioned and the geographic center of the MAC (Ohio/Michigan). So maybe some are close enough to MAC schools to make that viable.
02-20-2012 11:06 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2012 11:06 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Yea, if we were going to add a school I'd like a nearby one that could generate a rivalry, but I don't see any Illinois schools ready to make the move. If we're at 14 schools, no need to add anyone. If Temple and UMass leave, we still don't need to add anyone but if we do, I'd want it to be all sports. I don't mind expanding the conference footprint a little but it needs to still be fairly close or it won't really be tenable long-term, all it would do is lead to more instability as the farther-away schools look for a better fit.

I do think ASU and Georgia State would be good adds for an FBS conference that's geographically suitable, perhaps the Sunbelt. I haven't compared the relative distances between the schools that have been mentioned and the geographic center of the MAC (Ohio/Michigan). So maybe some are close enough to MAC schools to make that viable.

Since we are on the subject of distances I calculated the distance of Appalachian State to select MAC schools and found that ASU is actually closer to the MAC than what it is to the Sun Belt.

Appalachian State distances:

James Madison (286 miles)
Ohio University (326 miles)
Univ. Akron (443 miles)
Miami University (453 miles)

Middle Tennessee (338 miles)
Western Kentucky (379 miles)
Troy University (501 miles)
South Alabama (630 miles)

Then also I thought it was worth noting how much of a pop in attendance numbers ASU and James Madison would bring to the MAC East.

Attendance by division w/ JMU-ASU

West
Toledo 22,157
W.Michigan 19,985
N.Illinois 18,903
C.Michigan 15,291
Ball State 15,064
Bowling Green 15,007
E.Michigan 4,267

East
Appy State 26,211
JMU 25,002
Ohio 19,891
Buffalo 18,020
Miami 16,174
Akron 15,734
Kent State 11,587
02-20-2012 11:16 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2012 10:54 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  C'mon guys...will you stop with the Army stuff? Ain't happening and we all know it.

I am not saying that it is going to happen, just that they are one of the only two teams (other being Marshall) that I would like to see added to the MAC because they perfectly fit in our current footprint and they are already FBS.

Again unless something crazy happens I know it will not happen.

Army
What if this AQ non-AQ split does happen. One of the playoff rules in the new non-AQ league is that you MUST be in a conference. Unless the BE wants to add them we are their best option as they already play 4-5 MAC teams per year.

Marshall
What if ECU somehow gets an invite to the BE and the alliance does not add any East cost teams AND the MAC continuously gets a team or two in the top 30 rankings evey year. They may be more interested in joining the MAC then.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 02:52 PM by HuskieJohn.)
02-20-2012 02:48 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Marshall alums & fans hate the MAC for the most part...they won't come back unless it's their last option. Despite their lack of success in C-USA, it would seem that their fans still consider it an upgrade to the MAC and won't be back unless they are forced that direction.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 03:00 PM by exCincy Kid.)
02-20-2012 02:58 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Where's Notre Dame on the list?

With the Irish, the MAC could strengthen its hold on IN and Chi.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 03:28 PM by DrTorch.)
02-20-2012 03:27 PM
Advertisement

westernwilly Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army
(02-20-2012 03:27 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Where's Notre Dame on the list?

They are just 50 miles away. They can be our new rivals!02-13-banana
03-cloud9
02-20-2012 03:48 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2012 03:48 PM)westernwilly Wrote:  
(02-20-2012 03:27 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Where's Notre Dame on the list?

They are just 50 miles away. They can be our new rivals!02-13-banana
03-cloud9

They still wouldn't play a game in our home stadiums.
02-20-2012 04:19 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
UCF was part of MAC for at least 4-5 seasons, and that's definitely outside the normal MAC footprint...so Georgia Southern or any other school would at least merit some discussion...distance alone is not enough to say the MAC wouldn't consider the option...
02-20-2012 05:25 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
These re-alignment and/or expansion threads are a plague to this board IMO. It seems that few MAC fans contributing to these threads understand the MAC, both it's history and its' strengths. Long history, small regional footprint, similar institutions and aversion to change just for the sake of change. The MAC has been the most stable conference.

These threads are just mere mental masturb@tion.

The MAC won't be making any additions UNLESS a drastic sea change occurs and the change re-structures the revenue model for the league in a major, major way. In otherwords, a major increase in revenue would have to be on the table for the conference to consider it. This ain't happening, people. At least not any time soon.

When I read some of this re-alignment drivel on here, I just laugh and shake my head. Dream on.
02-20-2012 05:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.