UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Distantly Blazer Related...
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Distantly Blazer Related...
...but I wanted to put it on the main board.

In honor of our First Annual Mardi Gras Parade at the Bart:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us/woo...picks=true
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2012 09:56 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
02-19-2012 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
RE: Distantly Blazer Related...
That "Mardi Gras" thing really raised the life force of the game last night. I didn't get any beads, but I got plenty of masks.
02-19-2012 11:49 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Thought we were going to have a court storming of 6 year olds though. At halftime
02-19-2012 11:57 AM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
MB. Where did you sit for the game last night?
02-19-2012 12:02 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-19-2012 11:57 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Thought we were going to have a court storming of 6 year olds though. At halftime

We should have a couple of sections full of little kids every game.
02-19-2012 12:06 PM
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I can see the relation to the Chewbacchass (sp) and #FREEUAB. The rejection of the old guard and their antique way of thinking of the haves versuses the have nots.
The way the group started out with few in number but quickly rose to many. I liked how the actor stated that the old guard refrenced greek mythology and the Chewies refrenced sci-fi. Much as today how those southwest of us snivel at the foot of the remains of the bahr and we fight to raise the light of the ideals of Dr Volker and Gene Bartow.
The whole time I read that article I could see our struggle and ultimate triumph in that story.

Side note: what I don't get is why aren't the people in bham not fighting to have something to call their own. People in this city cling to AU or UA as their identity. If you go to tuscaloosa bad mouthing uat or to the plains spitting on AU, you are in for a fight. BUT, you mention anything about UAB trying to improve itself and you get snickles, snide remarks, or blank stares.
02-19-2012 01:23 PM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
(02-19-2012 01:23 PM)rook360 Wrote:  I can see the relation to the Chewbacchass (sp) and #FREEUAB. The rejection of the old guard and their antique way of thinking of the haves versuses the have nots.
The way the group started out with few in number but quickly rose to many. I liked how the actor stated that the old guard refrenced greek mythology and the Chewies refrenced sci-fi. Much as today how those southwest of us snivel at the foot of the remains of the bahr and we fight to raise the light of the ideals of Dr Volker and Gene Bartow.
The whole time I read that article I could see our struggle and ultimate triumph in that story.

Side note: what I don't get is why aren't the people in bham not fighting to have something to call their own. People in this city cling to AU or UA as their identity. If you go to tuscaloosa bad mouthing uat or to the plains spitting on AU, you are in for a fight. BUT, you mention anything about UAB trying to improve itself and you get snickles, snide remarks, or blank stares.
To answer your side note: Because people live vicariously through a winner. They define themselves through things that many themselves will never have a chance to taste, so they'd rather claim meaning for their existence through something as mindless as a football national championship. And as long as they think that way, that's the closest to educated as they'll ever get.
02-19-2012 01:35 PM
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(02-19-2012 01:35 PM)USAFBlazerFan Wrote:  
(02-19-2012 01:23 PM)rook360 Wrote:  I can see the relation to the Chewbacchass (sp) and #FREEUAB. The rejection of the old guard and their antique way of thinking of the haves versuses the have nots.

To answer your side note: Because people live vicariously through a winner. They define themselves through things that many themselves will never have a chance to taste, so they'd rather claim meaning for their existence through something as mindless as a football national championship. And as long as they think that way, that's the closest to educated as they'll ever get.

I wondered I couldn't relate to some of those ghetto, trailer park fans.
02-19-2012 02:05 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Ok, I have to play devil's advocate here, just a bit. I'm not going to defend the dirt road trailer park UAT fans, but for those who have a true connection with the school I can understand their connection and pride.

I was at Houston for Phi Slamma Jamma. The team went to #1 briefly near the end of the regular season. Being a student and a fan when your team is the number one in all the land flat rocks.

The walmart bammers are another thing altogether.
02-19-2012 02:45 PM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
I can, too, Band Dad. But, it's the consuming ownership their most brainless horde members claim while HATING everything else, that I despise. I have many friends that have all graduated from schools I traditionally don't like: UA, UK, Louisville, etc. But I respect that they are fans for good reason. And, I also have many friends that are UAB fans because they work for UAB, or sent children to UAB, or like(d) for what UAB stands. But, it's the idiocy of the truly ignorant (and particularly those that chose to be that way) fan that I cannot abide. It rubs the hair off my a$$ and gives me very little tolerance for their shenanigans, let alone when they are loosed in a public domain with a keyboard for which they barely have the brains to operate.

Being a fan of a proven winner is easy and witless. Being a fan of school fighting for scraps and respect... That, I respect more.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2012 05:54 PM by USAFBlazerFan.)
02-19-2012 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.