Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VCU BASEBALL THREAD
EPJr Offline
All American

I Root For: VCU, MLS, USMNT
VCU BASEBALL THREAD
BIG THINGS EXPECTED OF THE RAMS IN 2012
[Image: hauser-perfect-game.jpg?max_width=730&am...;crop=true]

RICHMOND, Va. – The preseason predictions continue to roll in for the VCU Baseball team, with the season a little more than a week away, this time with Perfect Game providing the preview.

The Rams are slated to finish third during the 2012 season, behind UNC Wilmington and James Madison, a pair of teams that appeared in the NCAA Tournament in 2011.

In addition to the preseason prediction of finish, Perfect Game released its preseason all-conference teams and the top 25 MLB prospects from the CAA.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0208pqp083
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 09:49 AM by EPJr.)
02-08-2012 11:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EPJr Offline
All American

RE: VCU BASEBALL THREAD
[Image: 2012-recruiting-class.jpg?max_width=730&...;crop=true]
VCU Baseball Welcomes 14 new Student-Athletes for the 2013 Season

RICHMOND, Va. – VCU Baseball Coach Paul Keyes and his staff announced the recruiting class for the 2013 season earlier today.

The class has 14 new student-athletes set to join the Rams in 2013, and is a mixture of both incoming freshman and transfers. There are five pitchers, two outfielders, two infielders, two catchers and three two players that will add depth and experience to VCU's roster.

"I think it's probably the deepest and best recruiting class we have had in quite a few years," said VCU Head Coach Paul Keyes. "It is pitching heavy, but we have also added speed, defense, and some left-handed hitting. All 14 of these athletes are not only quality student-athletes, but the type of people we want to represent our baseball program."

Here is more about each of the incoming student-athletes:
http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0822uci8gv
08-23-2012 09:51 AM
EPJr Offline
All American

Rams to Play 14 Fall Scrimmages, All Open to the Public
[Image: baseball.jpg?max_width=730&max_h...;crop=true]

RICHMOND, Va. – The VCU Baseball team began its fall practice last week, and are making strides toward the 2013 season.

The Rams will play 14 scrimmages throughout their fall season. The games get underway tonight (Sept. 26) and continue on a Monday, Wednesday, Saturday basis throughout the fall.

The scrimmages will culminate with the annual Black and Gold World Series. The Series is scheduled to start on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m., with game two on Wednesday, Oct. 23rd at 7 p.m. and game three on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.

All of the games will be played at the Diamond and are free and open to the public.

Game Times
Wednesday, Sept. 26 – 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 29 – 12 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 1 – 3 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 3 – 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 6 – 12 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 8 – 3 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 10 – 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 13 – 12 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 15 – 3 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 17 – 7 p.m.
Saturday Oct. 20 – 12 p.m.

Black and Gold World Series
Sunday, Oct. 21 – 1 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 24 – 7 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 26 – 7 p.m.
09-26-2012 06:50 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Black and Gold World Series Slated to Start Sunday
[Image: BlackandGoldWS.jpg?max_width=800&amp...height=450]
Black and Gold World Series
Sunday, Oct. 21 – 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 24 – 7 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 26 – 7 p.m.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...1018wpuy04
10-18-2012 07:17 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Machin, Pitching Push Black to 1-0 Victory Over Gold
[Image: BGWS1-.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=450]
Game One of Black and Gold World Series

INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
With the win, the Black team takes a 1-0 lead in the series. If the Gold team wins game two the winner of game three will be the champion. However, if the Black team were to win game two, Gold would still have a chance, but would have to win game three by more runs than the combined run differential of the first two games.

All games of the series will be six innings long.
Absher earned the win for the Black team. He threw four innings allowing only one hit and recorded a strike out.

Lees' threw four innings for the Gold team, and did not factor in the decision. He scattered four hits and struck out three.

QUOTABLE:
"I thought the pitching was really solid. Obviously [Tyler] Buckley came out and set the tone early and Hunter Absher, in his first Fall World Series, did an excellent job. We got some hits when we needed to, and I thought we had some chances to score some more runs, but didn't. We did really a good job of bearing down and scoring runs when we had to."
- Black Team Coach Kurt Elbin

WHAT'S AHEAD:
Game two of the Black and Gold World Series will be on Wednesday Oct. 24. Gates open at 6:30 p.m., with first pitch at 7:15 p.m. The game is free and open to the public.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...1021fxx6bh
10-21-2012 07:54 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

VCU Baseball Announces 2013 Schedule
[Image: schedule.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – The VCU Baseball program announced its 56-game spring schedule today. The slate, which features 25 home dates, is highlighted by five games against NCAA Tournament teams, five ACC schools, and two Big East opponents.

"One of the goals of this program has always been and will continue to be to play some of the best competition in the country, and I think we have done that again this year," said VCU Associate Head Coach Shawn Stiffler. "With five opponents that played in the NCAA Regionals last year, five ACC opponents, two Big East opponents, as well as teams from the CAA, Southern Conference, Conference USA and Big South, every game will pose a new challenge."

VCU kicks off regular season play at Elon's annual tournament. The first pitch of the 2013 season comes on Feb. 15 when the Rams play Boston College in the opening round. VCU then plays Marist on the Feb. 16 and Elon on Feb. 17 in the round-robin event.

SCHEDULE: http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2012-13/schedule

The 2013 A-10 Tournament, which takes place May 22-25 at Charlotte, features the top seven teams.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...1022olm7qa
10-22-2012 06:34 PM
Advertisement

EPJr Offline
All American

[Image: BGWS2.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=450]
Gold Team takes Game Two 3-1, Tie Black and Gold World Series at One

INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:

The Black and Gold World Series is tied at a game apiece, the winner of the third game will take home the annual crown.

All games in the 2012 Black and Gold World Series are six innings.
Marino finished the night 2-3 with an RBI.

Greene pitched two scoreless innings, and recorded a strikeout. He earned the win for the Gold team.
Farrar who allowed only a run in his two innings, was credited with the save.

QUOTABLE:
"I thought we did a good job tonight. We wanted to see what we could get out of [Jordan] Storey and he gave us two big zeros, and

Seth Greene pitched well behind him. A big hit from Trevor Marino in the middle of the game to lifted us to the victory."
-Gold Team Coach Seth Cutler-Voltz

WHAT'S AHEAD:
The third and decisive game of the Black and Gold World Series will be at 7:15 on Friday, Oct. 26. The gates will open at 6:30 and the game is free and open to the public.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...102445d6h3
10-24-2012 09:58 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

[Image: BGWS3.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=450]
Gold Cruises to 12-2 Game Three Victory, Win Black and Gold World Series

QUOTABLE:
"I thought both teams competed very well. It was nice to get the chance to sit back and watch how different guys reacted and stepped up in different situations. I am really happy with the way we played defense, only committing three errors in the three games. The whole week was a blast for our team, and was nice to have great fan support at all three games.
-VCU Associate Head Coach Shawn Stiffler, on the Black and Gold World Series

WHAT'S AHEAD:
The Black and Gold World Series concludes the Rams' fall season. VCU starts its 2013 regular season on Feb. 15 when they play Boston College in the first round of the Elon Tournament.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...1027q4zlwo
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2012 06:17 PM by EPJr.)
10-27-2012 06:16 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

VCU MOURNS LOSS OF HEAD BASEBALL COACH PAUL KEYES[
[Image: CoachKeyesMemorial.jpg?max_width=800&...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – Virginia Commonwealth University Head Baseball Coach Paul Keyes passed away early Saturday afternoon after a courageous battle with cancer. He was 50 years old.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of a tremendous human being," said VCU Director of Athletics Ed McLaughlin. "Paul was an outstanding baseball coach and an even better husband, father, friend and man. The VCU Department of Athletics and the entire campus community will keep Trisha and the Keyes family in our thoughts and prayers during their time of grieving.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...11039sb8jc
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 06:30 PM by EPJr.)
11-03-2012 06:29 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Rams Ink Six Recruits in NCAA Early Signing Period
[Image: earlysigningperiod.jpg?max_width=800&...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – The VCU Baseball program announced the signing of six recruits during the NCAA's early signing period on Monday. Darian Carpenter (Richmond, Va.), Matt Davis (Mechanicsburg, Pa.), Shane Dressler (York Haven, Pa.), Logan Farrar (Woodbridge, Va.), Neil Kozikowski (Burlington, Conn.) and Ian Stiffler (Somerset, Pa.) all inked National Letters of Intent to join the baseball team for the 2014 season.

"We are very excited to welcome these six newcomers to our baseball program," said VCU Baseball Head Coach Shawn Stiffler. "These six players encompass everything you really want out of an early signing class. We have addressed a need for speed, defense, players who can play in the middle of the field, left-handed power hitting and starting pitching. The coaching staff did an unbelievable job building relationships with each one of these guys and found players who have the character and are the type of student-athletes that fit our program at VCU."

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...1126gd6vso
11-27-2012 08:46 AM
EPJr Offline
All American

12-03-2012 11:27 PM
Advertisement

EPJr Offline
All American

Cujas and Cullen Named to Collegiate Baseball Newspaper’s All-America Team
[Image: Cullen-and-Cujas-All-America-.jpg?max_wi...height=450]

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...12243qpzsd
12-28-2012 04:01 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Rams Picked Third in Atlantic 10 Preseason Coaches Poll
[Image: PreseasonPoll-.jpg?max_width=800&amp...height=450]

NEWS, Va. – The VCU Baseball team has already earned the respect of its Atlantic 10 Conference peers. On Thursday, the Rams were selected to finish third out of 15 teams in the league's annual preseason coaches poll.

VCU was picked only behind Saint Louis, who held a share of last year's regular season conference championship, and Rhode Island.

The Rams return a talented core of last year's roster that finished 34-25 (15-15 CAA) and advanced to the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament. VCU returns seven position starters, including their entire starting infield along with five pitchers from a season ago. The Black and Gold also return All-CAA honorees juniors Joey Cujas (first team) and Bill Cullen (third team), as well as sophomore Vimael Machin (all-rookie).

2013 A-10 Baseball Predicted Order of Finish

RK SCHOOL (1st-place votes) points 2012 Record

1. Saint Louis (10) 210 41-18/17-7
2. Rhode Island (2) 197 33-25/16-8
3. VCU (3) 193 34-25/15-15 CAA
4. Charlotte 168 21-32/9-14
5. Dayton 149 31-30/17-7
6. Richmond 147 30-26/14-10
7. Xavier 146 28-28/13-11
8. Saint Joseph's 120 25-32/13-10
9. Fordham 109 22-34/12-12
10. Massachusetts 89 22-22/14-10
11. St. Bonaventure 74 23-25/10-14
12. La Salle 67 20-33/7-17
13. Temple 56 19-34/7-17
14. Butler 42 22-34/10-20 Horizon
15. George Washington 33 20-35/6-18

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0117t9m9n3
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 10:43 PM by EPJr.)
01-17-2013 10:41 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

[Image: College-Sports-Madness.jpg?max_width=800...height=450]
Cullen, Cujas Named Preseason First Team All-Atlantic 10 by CollegeSportsMadness.com

RICHMOND, Va. – VCU Baseball juniors Bill Cullen and Joey Cujas were named Preseason First Team All-Atlantic 10 by CollegeSportsMadness.com on Wednesday. Cullen was also named the Preseason Player of the Year by the publication.

Cullen finished the 2012 season with a .347 batting average, 90 hits, 25 doubles, nine triples (second in the country) and hit five home runs. He was named to the All-CAA Third Team following the season. The Colonial Heights, Va. native received Third Team Collegiate Baseball and Second Team NCBWA Preseason All-America honors as well.

Cujas was named to the preseason first team following a strong 2012 season where he hit .390, had 87 base hits, 21 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 49 RBI's. He led the team in average, and runs batted in. The Midlothian, Va. native was named All-CAA First Team following last season. Cujas was also named to Collegiate Baseball's Third Team All-American squad.

VCU opens the 2012 season on Feb. 15 in the Country Inn and Suites Elon Invitational against Boston College. The Rams open their inaugural A-10 season on March 22 against Butler at the Diamond.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0123y9rn22
01-23-2013 09:09 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Cullen Named Preseason All-American by College Sports Madness[Image: Cullen-College-Sports-Madness.jpg?max_wi...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – VCU Baseball junior Bill Cullen was named Second Team All-America by College Sports Madness, announced by the publication on Monday.

Cullen finished 2012 with a .347 batting average, 90 hits, 25 doubles, nine triples (second in the country) and hit five home runs. He was named to the All-CAA Third Team following the season.

The Colonial Heights, Va. native received Third Team Collegiate Baseball and Second Team NCBWA Preseason All-America honors as well. Earlier this month, Cullen was named Atlantic 10 Preseason Player of the Year and to the conference's first team by College Sports Madness.

College Sports Madness covers all aspects of college sports, from recruiting right up through the draft. They run preseason previews that prepare fans for the upcoming season of their favorite sport and follow their team all the way through the postseason.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...01286dslpr
01-28-2013 09:00 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

[Image: KeyDogClassic-main.jpg?max_width=800&...height=450]
VCU to Face Old Dominion
in Inaugural Key Dog Strike Out Cancer Classic
April 23 in Hampton

RICHMOND, Va. – One of the most heated college baseball rivalries in the state of Virginia and all of the country will be put aside to honor the late VCU Baseball Coach Paul Keyes (ODU '84), who lost his courageous battle with cancer in November of 2012, when VCU and Old Dominion meet on the baseball diamond this spring.

The Rams and Monarchs will play in the first-ever Key Dog Strike Out Cancer Classic on April 23 at War Memorial Stadium in Hampton, Va.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0125ugkhwk
01-28-2013 09:10 PM
Advertisement

EPJr Offline
All American

FLYING SQUIRRELS HONOR COACH KEYES WITH THIRD ANNUAL HOT STOVE BANQUET
[Image: BSB-FlyingSquirrelsKeyDog020113-Main.jpg...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – The Richmond Flying Squirrels held their third annual Hot Stove Banquet at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Thursday night. However, this year's event had a very VCU feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNjPYv8uR...r_embedded

The night was set up to honor late VCU Baseball Head Coach Paul Keyes, who lost his courageous battle with cancer in November 2012, as well as celebrate the start of a new baseball season here in Richmond. All proceeds from the event went to the newly established Paul Keyes Memorial Scholarship Fund.

"Coach wanted to continue to impact the program and wanted to make sure the program was left in the players hands," said VCU Coach Shawn Stiffler. "By setting up this scholarship, we are giving a player, probably a local one, the opportunity to live his dream to play college baseball."

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0201qdbjwh

Photos From the Hot Stove Banquet: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...581&type=3
02-01-2013 10:18 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

Cullen Named Atlantic 10 Preseason Player of the Year
by Baseball America

[Image: Cullen-Baseball-America-POY.jpg?max_widt...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – With the baseball season just a week away, junior Bill Cullen garnered more preseason honors on Thursday. Cullen was named Preseason Player of the Year in the Atlantic 10 by Baseball America.

Cullen finished 2012 with a .347 batting average, 90 hits, 25 doubles, nine triples (second in the country) and hit five home runs. He was named to the All-CAA Third Team following the season.

The Colonial Heights, Va. native has been named to the Third Team Collegiate Baseball, Second Team NCBWA and Second Team College Sports Madness All-America teams already this preseason. He was also named Atlantic 10 Preseason Player of the Year and to the conference's first team by College Sports Madness.

[Image: Baseball-season-tickets.jpg?max_width=80...height=450]

RICHMOND, Va. – The VCU Baseball season is right around the corner and season and individual game tickets are on sale now.

The Rams will play 24 home dates in 2013, including six weekend series. VCU will also welcome in-state rivals Virginia (April 30), George Mason (March 5) and VMI (April 17) for mid-week games, as well as regional foes Rutgers (March 19-20) and Maryland (April 16).

Season ticket flex plans are on sale for $40 . This package includes 24 vouchers, which can be used at any time throughout the season. These tickets can be used in any combination (use one ticket for each game or use all 24 at once).

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0207enl44w
02-07-2013 03:09 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

VCU Baseball Ready to Start 2013 Season
[Image: Baseball-preview.jpg?max_width=800&a...height=450]

The 2013 VCU Baseball season will feature an interesting mixture of old and new.

It will look similar because the Rams return seven of their nine starting position players (including their designated hitter) from a squad that qualified for the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament a season ago.

It will be new because it is the first time in 18 years VCU will be without Head Coach Paul Keyes, who lost his courageous battle with cancer in November.

"There are no words to express on what the loss of Coach Keyes means to this program," said Head Coach Shawn Stiffler, who spent the previous six seasons as Keyes' top assistant. "You can't think about VCU's baseball program without thinking of Coach Keyes.

"Certainly he is going to be in our minds every day, but one big wish that he had was that he didn't want this season to be a tribute for him. However, we are going to think about him every day before we go out in the dugout."

Moving forward, the Black and Gold will still play the same hardnosed style Keyes taught throughout his tenure at VCU.

The Rams will once again boast a deep roster, and perhaps the deepest they've had in years, when they welcome back 14 returners to go along with a talented class of newcomers.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0212cmz3vr
02-12-2013 09:37 PM
EPJr Offline
All American

[Image: medium_2013_Elon_Invitational.jpg]

The VCU Baseball program opens its 42nd baseball season this weekend in the Comfort Inn and Suites Elon Invitational. The Rams will open with Boston College on Friday, Marist on Saturday, and conclude the tournament with host Elon on Sunday.

Since 2010, the Rams are 4-5 in opening weekend play. However, VCU has won three straight season opening games

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2...0214n53deb
02-15-2013 07:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.