Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Memphis
I don't know why everyone seems to be getting so upset over Memphis,,,,yes, they are good in basketball and that helps CUSA but football rules and the MWC has many schools to replace them in football.......as a matter of fact if we are just thinking of Market size....lets just go ahead and invite UNT, they control a lot more of the Dallas market than SMU by far!!! If Market size is the measuring stick add UTSA......Dallas and San Antonio, two the fifteen largest cities in the country....that more than replaces anything we have lost. The MWC brings some good football teams to our league....add them to USM, ECU, Tulsa and hopefully Marshall comes to life, it's a better league then we have had before the defections. Football wise we haven't lost anything with SMU and Memphis and you never know from year to year about Houston and UCF.....although UCF could be good for a long time...I will miss them.
02-07-2012 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
RE: Memphis
I have to agree, The current state of the Merger still looks better than CUSA did in 2005, and that turned out pretty good.
02-08-2012 10:10 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think down the road, the remainder of the WAC, after the Alliance is finished with any additions and the Sunbelt will be relegated to a low Div 1 status or not Div 1 at all and the Alliance will be viewed just like the Big East.....remember the Big East is now 75-80% CUSA and MWC, so it would be mighty hard for them to argue the Alliance was some how below them....they are us no matter what conference. The changes coming in 2013 will be interesting but I think that's the way things will shake out, about 100 major college football teams or else the Big 5 conferences will drop both the Big East and the Alliance which I think would be very hard politically.
02-08-2012 11:35 AM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
I just think this is the worst thing that could happen to us. We lose all our main rivals in conference. UTEP will end up in the MW portion of the alliance (if there really is an alliance by next fall). We no longer have SMU, Houston, probably UTEP as Texas ties for rivals and recruiting and our only options left will be left behind Sunbelt wannabees. Rice is the very school we do not want to have a connection with IMO. Our only option looks to be robbing the WAC (LTech) who we gladly left or the SB for North Texas which TU's AD will spin as a worthy adversary on SMU's level. It ain't and we won't be fooling anyone.

But lets face it, in the future, even if CUSA stays together a little longer, we will lose ECU and USM. Geography dictates that. At that point, we may as well do what I said earlier and go Independent. Being aligned with the Sunbelt, Rice, Tulane and UAB will just pull us down further IMO.

We should do now what we should have done earlier and lobby with every fiber we have and get into the BE. A backup plan is to join with NT or La Tech and ask the MWC for admission. Being with the Owls and Wave just shows everyone we live in a crappy neighborhood. Move away. In the end its all about location, location, location.
02-08-2012 11:52 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(02-07-2012 10:40 PM)jfisher Wrote:  I don't know why everyone seems to be getting so upset over Memphis,,,,yes, they are good in basketball and that helps CUSA but football rules and the MWC has many schools to replace them in football.......as a matter of fact if we are just thinking of Market size....lets just go ahead and invite UNT, they control a lot more of the Dallas market than SMU by far!!! If Market size is the measuring stick add UTSA......Dallas and San Antonio, two the fifteen largest cities in the country....that more than replaces anything we have lost. The MWC brings some good football teams to our league....add them to USM, ECU, Tulsa and hopefully Marshall comes to life, it's a better league then we have had before the defections. Football wise we haven't lost anything with SMU and Memphis and you never know from year to year about Houston and UCF.....although UCF could be good for a long time...I will miss them.

For me, Memphis leaving makes 3 for 3 of our top rivals now gone. I am so sick of the Wojcik era now. We wasted 7 years building what could've been a great regional rivalry ! When we joined CUSA in 2005, Calipari insisted Tulsa play Memphis twice a year. He knew our history & potential. Just imagine what the rivalry would be if we would've had an NCAA caliber team the last 7 years.

We were just getting the SMU & Houston football rivalries going & were still hoping to get the Memphis basketball rivalry heated up (with a new coach in 2012-13 ?!?). Instead we are left with Rice & Tulane as our closest rivals. I agree with Rabid & others that say TU needs to lobby/beg the Big East for membership. That is where the teams we want to play are now. We need to set goals to do what it takes to make ourselves attractive to them. If not, I am afraid we will find ourselves doing a slow fall down the ladder of importance in college sports.
02-12-2012 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.