Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Cronin looking for better guard play
Cronin looking for better guard play

02/06/12 at 5:55pm
Written by bkoch

As the Bearcats head down the stretch, still with a lot of work to do to nail down an NCAA Tournament berth, Mick Cronin is looking for more production from his guards, especially senior Dion Dixon.

“We have certain guys that have got to improve in certain areas, ”Cronin said today, “like Dion Dixon. He has 30 less defensive rebounds than Cashmere Wright on the season. He’s three inches taller and 20 pounds stronger. Dion Dixon has got to be a better defensive rebounder. He’s got to shoot a higher percentage form the field. He’s shooting 35 percent from the field in Big East play.

“Those are the things I’m concerned with, how do I help him be a better defensive rebounder and how do I help him shoot a higher percentage? The answer is to go get on the glass and shoot shots you can make and do what you did the other night, get yourself eight free throws and go eight-for-eight from the foul line. Our guards are more than capable of playing better for 40 minutes. We have enough guard play and enough talent at that position to where those guys have got to play well for us.”

Cronin also said because the Bearcats do not have overwhelming talent in their starting five, they must be at least 10 players deep to win consistently in the Big East. To that end, he says he plans to get freshman forward Jermaine Sanders into the game in the first half against St. John’s on Wednesday.

Sanders did not play against DePaul on Saturday and has played a total of 19 minutes in UC’s last five games. He hasn’t scored since the Notre Dame game on Jan. 4 when he had one point.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/02/0...uard-play/

02-07-2012 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Cronin looking for better guard play
I agree. Dixon has had a strange season so far. Some games he's been fantastic and then sort of stands back and watches in others. If UC is to move on, he'll have to step up his game. He's had a lot of incinsistencies in his game during his 4 years here but this is it for him. Now's the time to STEP UP.

02-07-2012 10:15 AM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Biggest thing to improve with the guards -- PASSING! I can't believe how many soft passes I see.

02-07-2012 10:18 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Dixon drives me crazy but this team is badly in need of a go to guy and he at least tries to be that.

02-07-2012 11:05 AM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I like the way Mick explains what he feels the issues are and what needs to be done to fix them.
It provides insight for the fan without throwing the player under the bus.

02-07-2012 12:19 PM
Advertisement

WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Dixon's foul shooting performance is another good reason for him to keep driving and quit chucking contested three balls.

02-07-2012 05:57 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(02-07-2012 08:43 AM)ctipton Wrote:  Cronin looking for better guard play

02/06/12 at 5:55pm
Written by bkoch

“We have certain guys that have got to improve in certain areas, ”Cronin said today, “like Dion Dixon. He has 30 less defensive rebounds than Cashmere Wright on the season. He’s three inches taller and 20 pounds stronger. Dion Dixon has got to be a better defensive rebounder. He’s got to shoot a higher percentage form the field. He’s shooting 35 percent from the field in Big East play.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/02/0...uard-play/

Awesome game last night...Dixon still ended up with 0 rebounds to 10 for Wright. Tough to nitpick anything on a blowout road win but I hope Dixon can improve his rebounding...the 2 steals and 4 assists were a major plus though.

02-09-2012 10:29 AM
Advertisement

BearcatOtto Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Since Cash was pounding the boards, Dixon had to stay back to avoid quick outlet passes for fast breaks.

Both guards rebounding is a recipe for fast breaks.

02-09-2012 11:13 AM
levydl Online
All American

I Root For:
One of the things that stood out about Dixon as a freshman was how good a rebounder he was for a 2. He has the ability.

02-09-2012 12:26 PM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-09-2012 11:13 AM)BearcatOtto Wrote:  Since Cash was pounding the boards, Dixon had to stay back to avoid quick outlet passes for fast breaks.

Both guards rebounding is a recipe for fast breaks.

7 of Cash's rebounds were defensive. You are right about offensive.

I've always maintained that pg is one of the easiest spots on the floor to defensively rebound from because you almost never have a man to box out while everyone else has to worry about their man.

Deonta Vaughn seemed to consistently get 4 to 6 defensive rebounds a game simply because he was cleaning up after everyone else on the team blocked out.

I would still expect Dion's rebounding to be better, but Cash has a significant positional advantage on him.

02-09-2012 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.