Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
NCAA plans to rethink the rules for 1-A status
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

If option one where to pass...Villanova would then be a D1 football school.... the 9th member of the future all sports league would be in place...in eastern member who plays great basketball and is in a huge market.....this may solve a lot of our problems

Jackson

NCAA plans to rethink rules for I-A status
By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
GRAPEVINE, Texas — The NCAA is backing off toughened membership criteria that threaten to bounce Kent State, Ball State and a handful of other schools from college football's most prominent and competitive division.
The association's highest rules-making body, the Division I board of directors, will revise or rescind a controversial requirement that teams average at least 15,000 in home attendance each season to stay in top-tier Division I-A, chairman Robert Hemenway, also the chancellor at Kansas, said Monday.

The board expects to weigh alternatives in April.

One option: erase the I-A designation. Classify current I-A and I-AA schools as Division I, as basketball and every other sport does, and let television and other marketplace influences determine which are big-time and which aren't.

Unofficially, big-time status would come from affiliation with the Bowl Championship Series, which once was limited to the nation's six most powerful conferences but now extends to all 11 leagues in I-A.

The NCAA still would sponsor a playoff for the former I-AA schools, holding them to the same 63-scholarship limit they have today. The current system would change little, in fact, beyond the title change.

"I think some combination of those sorts of thoughts will end up being something we can build consensus around by April," said David Berst, the NCAA's vice president for Division I.

Midlevel schools and conferences in I-A, led by Kent State President Carol Cartwright, who heads the NCAA Executive Committee, had fought feverishly against the new attendance minimum. It's one of several guidelines drawn up three years ago and implemented in August 2004 in response to fears the I-A brand was being diluted by a steady flow of I-AA schools moving up, seeking status or a shot at a bowl.

Other guidelines range from a minimum number of home games vs. other I-A teams (four last season and in 2005, five thereafter) to minimum offerings of scholarships in football and other sports.

Failure to meet any of the provisions would cause a school to enter a 10-year probationary period of sorts. Failure to meet them again in that time would mean being barred that season from playing in a bowl.

Unofficial attendance figures posted by the NCAA show five schools fell beneath the 15,000 cutoff last season: San Jose State (whose average of 6,479 was by far the lowest in Division I-A), Buffalo, Kent State, Middle Tennessee State and Ball State
01-12-2005 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Downside to this is that Georgetown is Div 1-AA - Patriot League.

So if, as you suggest, Option 1 allows Nova in, how would the football schools react if the Hoyas wanted part of the BCS paycheck as well?

Cheers,
Neil
01-12-2005 10:03 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Omni, Why not Villanova and Georgetown? Obviously they would have to show the committment to compete but if they did that they have good markets.
01-12-2005 11:46 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Downside to this is that Georgetown is Div 1-AA - Patriot League.
So if, as you suggest, Option 1 allows Nova in, how would the football schools react if the Hoyas wanted part of the BCS paycheck as well?

-- The differernce in my view is that Nova has been one of the better I AA programs for a while...if memory serves the wildcats beat temple on several occoasions.....Untill right now I had no idea that GT even fielded a football program...so I'm guessing there success on the field has been limited....

-- But here's another question....suppose the NCAA does this.....how would we keep Nova and GT out?? Certainly if they are suddenly put onto equal footing with the BE football schools there going to want in the football league

Jackson
01-12-2005 12:34 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:But here's another question....suppose the NCAA does this.....how would we keep Nova and GT out??
The NCAA may not set certain standards, but the Big East could/would (85 schollies, attendance numbers, maybe a certain financial commitment). If we can kick out Temple for attendance, we can keep Nova and/or Georgetown out for the same reasons.
01-12-2005 12:56 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:The NCAA may not set certain standards, but the Big East could/would (85 schollies, attendance numbers, maybe a certain financial commitment). If we can kick out Temple for attendance, we can keep Nova and/or Georgetown out for the same reasons[/

--thanks NFL sucks...I totally forgot about that

-- Just throwing this out...but one eastern Iaa school that could probably fit the bill is Delaware....the Blue Hens have very similar attendnce #s in football to UC and USF now so that wouldn't be an issue....also if I remember correctly that school does have some deep pockets...so any kind of staduim expansion, extra scholies may be doable for them

Jackson
01-12-2005 01:03 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:The NCAA may not set certain standards, but the Big East could/would (85 schollies, attendance numbers, maybe a certain financial commitment). If we can kick out Temple for attendance, we can keep Nova and/or Georgetown out for the same reasons[/

-- Just throwing this out...but one eastern Iaa school that could probably fit the bill is Delaware....the Blue Hens have very similar attendnce #s in football to UC and USF now so that wouldn't be an issue....also if I remember correctly that school does have some deep pockets...so any kind of staduim expansion, extra scholies may be doable for them

Jackson
Blue Hens? No way.
01-12-2005 01:09 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

IF the Big East expands in football, they need a program that is capable of drawing 50,000 fans to a football game and capable of taking 10,000 fans to a bowl game.
01-12-2005 01:44 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Blue Hens? No way.

-- Hey I want Penn st and ND as much as the next person...but if they aren't coming we have to look at some other options.....I would like to keep the new league as regional as possible and Uconn success has convinced me that a IAA team can make the jump under the right condidtions....Delaware does have the potential to make such a jump

-- Nov 20, 2004....Nova @ UD in the IAA playoffs...attendance was just over 22,000 http: //www.collegesports.com/teams/m-footbl/scoreboards/atl10/20041120_game_boxscore_dela.html

-- Oct 23, 2004...memphis @ UC....the last game in a very old football rivalry...attendance was just over 15,000 <a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=242972132' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gam...ameId=242972132</a>

-- All I'm saying is it looks like UD has a fan base that is already in place....if they make some improvments and commit to football (ala Uconn)...how much do those attendance #s rise....40,000 maybe...and if there playing a regional game against Rutgers or Uconn...maybe 45,000.....the potential is there if that University puts the money into its program

Jackson
01-12-2005 01:47 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

You have to remember that it was in the low 40's and a steady rain that night that only 15,000 people showed up. It also didn't help that UC had just lost to Army of all teams. That was also the lowest attendance all year long.
01-12-2005 01:50 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson
The thing is, UC traditionally draws about 30,000 per game for Big East games so UC will probably draw close to that in the league. Also, Mark Dantonio is bringing in a damn good recruiting class next year with several big time local players that should draw the interest of the local fanbase.
01-12-2005 06:01 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

mlbUC Wrote:You have to remember that it was in the low 40's and a steady rain that night that only 15,000 people showed up. It also didn't help that UC had just lost to Army of all teams. That was also the lowest attendance all year long.
...I'm sure that butt-stomping you gave us didn't hurt your attendance average in later games!
01-12-2005 06:48 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

WOW! This thread really lets me see the discrepency between you northeastern fans, and southern football fans. I find it almost unimaginable to be talking about schools like Delaware, Nova (who seems no different to Temple than me), and G'Town. I am not downing them. I am just proclaiming my ignorance toward them. I don't know if they are winners or if they draw fans, but dang, they don't sound good at all! The only thing that would possibly interest me is getting to tour Washington D.C. if G'town joined. There surely must be much better choices out there. You could give the Southern members a little love by inviting teams that are closer to us. But, I realize you were hoping to bring teams in that were already in the conference so there would be no split right?
01-12-2005 07:27 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Quote:...I'm sure that butt-stomping you gave us didn't hurt your attendance average in later games!

It didn't help a ton, but we had over 20,000 for the rest of our games after that at least...
01-12-2005 08:04 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:But, I realize you were hoping to bring teams in that were already in the conference so there would be no split right?
This scenerio sorta throws a wrench into what I think will happen. If this 1-A/1-AA merger were to happen and in some way increase the likelihood of Nova/G'Town joining the Big East in football (which I'm not sure it would, but this is all hypothetical anyways), then the split starts to look less likely.

What I personally would like to see is the two leagues split in 2010 or whatever year they can when the six year NCAA b-ball units cycle ends. After the split, and after the New York Manhattan Stadium gets built allowing more solidity on the football side with a new regional bowl and allowing the new league a place to have their b-ball tourney while still staying in the center of the media world, then I would like to see Villanova join. I want 9 members and that's it. This will always be a basketball first conference and I want everyone playing round robin, that's what made the old ACC the best b-ball conference and that's what the EAC should be.

Quote:I don't know if they are winners or if they draw fans, but dang, they don't sound good at all!
They aren't. But neither was UConn. I believe they quadrupled their season ticket holders when they went 1-A and went from a 15k stadium to an almost always sold out 40k stadium. Big time football can create fan bases pretty quickly, although I admit it would be a much higher hurdle for Georgetown and Nova due to their being private schools and being in pro towns.

Delaware on the other hand, already has a very solid fan base, public school, and no pro teams, so that's why you see them mentioned as much as you do.
01-12-2005 08:39 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.