Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: UF Head Coach attends 5-star recruit's church and makes a donation
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
OT: UF Head Coach attends 5-star recruit's church and makes a donation
Latest buzz between the recruiting wars between UF and Georgia are now dipping into the murky waters of going to church services with 5-star recruits...and in UF Will Muschamp's case...DONATING a nice sum to said church...all in the effort to sway a recruit to their school.

While most probably know that Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt is a very religious man...and if and UF Head Coach Muschamp want to attend a church service...that's fine...but when large "surprise" donations pop up in the collection plate...and Muschamp obviously wrote on it that the donation was his...thats pushing the envelope.

See link from this latest dust up:

Will Muschamp tries to sway top Georgia recruit Josh-Harvey Clemons – by going to church

From link below:
It created quite a stir when Florida’s coach showed up at church last month. “We gave everybody a heads up, and they were surprised to see [Muschamp],” Clemons said. “And the collection plate was equally surprised.”
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_...hurch.html

And from Atlanta:

Mark Richt is going to church with state’s No. 1 football recruit

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/...l-recruit/
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012 04:56 PM by KnightLight.)
01-25-2012 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: OT: UF Head Coach attends 5-star recruit's church and makes a donation
Is that any worse than Nick Saban telling a 2012 recruit he can sign some paperwork so he'll have a scholarship in 2013 and getting the kid a job in the meantime?

The SEC just takes recruiting to a whole.. notha'.. level...
01-25-2012 05:16 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-25-2012 05:16 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Is that any worse than Nick Saban telling a 2012 recruit he can sign some paperwork so he'll have a scholarship in 2013 and getting the kid a job in the meantime?

The SEC just takes recruiting to a whole.. notha'.. level...

I agree...but as long as the TV Networks, SEC Bowls, and all the corp sponsors continue to make millions and millions of $$$$ off SEC Football, I doubt the NCAA cares one bit.

Remember, Cam Newton's Dad was a church deacon/minister...and the excuse was he wanted $180,000 for his son's commitment so he could fix his church.

This just in...the Georgia Church that UF Head Coach Will Muschamp attended with that 5-star recruit and made a donation that impressed the elders...the figures/stats are now in:

[Image: mtzionchurch.jpg]
01-25-2012 05:23 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
8 people? 6?! That's one small church.
01-25-2012 05:25 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
And it's no wonder UofL was in fairly tight with Josh Harvey-Clemons until recently. Kind of hard to compete with that. Every once in a while something like this comes out and the schools back off out of fear and/or how it looks to the public and the kid goes elsewhere. I doubt it but we can only hope!
01-25-2012 05:28 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-25-2012 05:28 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  And it's no wonder UofL was in fairly tight with Josh Harvey-Clemons until recently. Kind of hard to compete with that. Every once in a while something like this comes out and the schools back off out of fear and/or how it looks to the public and the kid goes elsewhere. I doubt it but we can only hope!

Many long-time SEC fans on other boards said this has been going on for a VERY LONG time...and no way would the NCAA want to ever get involved...especially since most of these "donations" by coaches are going to small, and many times, poor African-American Churches.

I guess its just shocking that one Church elder finally admitted that it did take place...and this obviously wasn't the first time for that UF Head Coach...who is all too familiar with SEC Football (went to Georgia, Coached at Auburn twice...and now is at Florida).
01-25-2012 05:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
This is flat out awful. Going to a recruit's church, man o man.
01-25-2012 05:58 PM
Advertisement

uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
Unbelievable. These coaches have no shame. Then again, if any of us were in Muschamp's shoes, coming off a terrible year in the enormous pressure-cooker that is Gainesville, Florida...would we act differently?

Recruiting is (by far) the worst part about college football.
01-25-2012 06:42 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-25-2012 06:42 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  Unbelievable. These coaches have no shame. Then again, if any of us were in Muschamp's shoes, coming off a terrible year in the enormous pressure-cooker that is Gainesville, Florida...would we act differently?

If you think college football recruiting is dirty business...it still has nothing compared to the "sausage factory" of AAU Basketball recruiting during the summer months.
01-25-2012 08:03 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(01-25-2012 04:55 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  Latest buzz between the recruiting wars between UF and Georgia are now dipping into the murky waters of going to church services with 5-star recruits...and in UF Will Muschamp's case...DONATING a nice sum to said church...all in the effort to sway a recruit to their school.

While most probably know that Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt is a very religious man...and if and UF Head Coach Muschamp want to attend a church service...that's fine...but when large "surprise" donations pop up in the collection plate...and Muschamp obviously wrote on it that the donation was his...thats pushing the envelope.

Will Muschamp tries to sway top Georgia recruit Josh-Harvey Clemons – by going to church

From link below:
It created quite a stir when Florida’s coach showed up at church last month. “We gave everybody a heads up, and they were surprised to see [Muschamp],” Clemons said. “And the collection plate was equally surprised.”

And from Atlanta:

Tacky, tacky, tacky.
Its clear what our schools are up against when we try to recruit against the SEC.
01-25-2012 08:12 PM
Advertisement

uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2012 08:03 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(01-25-2012 06:42 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  Unbelievable. These coaches have no shame. Then again, if any of us were in Muschamp's shoes, coming off a terrible year in the enormous pressure-cooker that is Gainesville, Florida...would we act differently?

If you think college football recruiting is dirty business...it still has nothing compared to the "sausage factory" of AAU Basketball recruiting during the summer months.

I don't follow CBB recruiting as much, since Calhoun brings in mostly highly rated recruits...I trust his judgment.
01-25-2012 08:24 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-25-2012 08:12 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(01-25-2012 04:55 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  Latest buzz between the recruiting wars between UF and Georgia are now dipping into the murky waters of going to church services with 5-star recruits...and in UF Will Muschamp's case...DONATING a nice sum to said church...all in the effort to sway a recruit to their school.

From link below:

And from Atlanta:

Tacky, tacky, tacky.
Its clear what our schools are up against when we try to recruit against the SEC.

Sometimes the loudest message by certain schools is "don't".

Don't even try...or.....
01-25-2012 08:47 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
The drama continues with Harvey-Clemons' 51 year old grandfather who continues acting like a 12 year old attention whore.

In the mean time Richt probably committed a secondary violation by discussing JHC today prior to receiving the letter of intent which hasn't been sent anywhere so far.

Grandpa refuses to let JHC sign with UGA
02-01-2012 06:52 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
(01-25-2012 08:03 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  If you think college football recruiting is dirty business...it still has nothing compared to the "sausage factory" of AAU Basketball recruiting during the summer months.

College basketball recruiting as a whole, I agree, is sleazier.

At least football coaches are waiting till the kids are out of diapers. Basketball coaches like The Squid at Kentucky are getting middle-schoolers to commit.

It's only a matter of time till they start raiding elementary schools... kindergartens... pre-schools... maternity wards.
02-01-2012 07:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.