Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Robert Redford says Sundance is for the 99%
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Robert Redford says Sundance is for the 99%
It's always funny when a celebrity says something stupid -

Attention, One Percenters! You can go home now. The Sundance Film Festival is not ... repeat NOT ... for you. (Except of course our corporate sponsors and super rich celebrity guests. You can stay. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!)

That's the mixed message the was being sent as Robert Redford opened the 34th annual Sundance Film Festival with a populist pitch on Thursday, slamming the government for failing its citizens and talking about how Sundance exists for the forgotten "99 percent."

"We show stories of what people in America are really dealing with, and really living with, against a consequence of having a government that’s let them down," Redford said. "People can come and say, ‘God, at least we’re seeing how people are really living in America, and what they’re up against.’ We square away on the 99 percent."

But the scene in Park City, Utah, where Sundance is held, would seem to run counter to Redford's characterization, with big corporations sponsoring virtually every event and venue, and super rich celebrities racing each other to scoop up corporate sponsor freebies.

And then there are the celebrities who are there for the stuff. When they're not promoting films or trying to be photographed by paparazzi, many actors can be found filling duffel bags full of thousands of dollars worth of free goods by bouncing from one gifting lounge to another, in which title sponsors and vendors pay upwards of $50,000 dollars for the privilege of giving away free products to famous people. Smartphones, tablets, televisions, designer clothes, boots, bags, booze, jewelry, weight loss aids -- all is given away for free. This year Mary J. Blige, Emma Roberts, AnnaLynne McCord, Laura Prepon and William H. Macy were all spotted picking out goodies, and smiling for the cameras while they did it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...z1kOF4DTjh

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 10:32 AM by bearcatfan.)
01-24-2012 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
RE: Robert Redford says Sundance is for the 99%
I'm a big movie fan. But the hypocrisy of Hollywood and the movie industry is comical, if not sad. The amount of money and fame these people garner puts them completely out of touch with real American people. Namely the middle class, which is the heart of this country.

01-24-2012 11:03 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(01-24-2012 10:30 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  It's always funny when a celebrity says something stupid -

Attention, One Percenters! You can go home now. The Sundance Film Festival is not ... repeat NOT ... for you. (Except of course our corporate sponsors and super rich celebrity guests. You can stay. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!)

That's the mixed message the was being sent as Robert Redford opened the 34th annual Sundance Film Festival with a populist pitch on Thursday, slamming the government for failing its citizens and talking about how Sundance exists for the forgotten "99 percent."

"We show stories of what people in America are really dealing with, and really living with, against a consequence of having a government that’s let them down," Redford said. "People can come and say, ‘God, at least we’re seeing how people are really living in America, and what they’re up against.’ We square away on the 99 percent."

But the scene in Park City, Utah, where Sundance is held, would seem to run counter to Redford's characterization, with big corporations sponsoring virtually every event and venue, and super rich celebrities racing each other to scoop up corporate sponsor freebies.

And then there are the celebrities who are there for the stuff. When they're not promoting films or trying to be photographed by paparazzi, many actors can be found filling duffel bags full of thousands of dollars worth of free goods by bouncing from one gifting lounge to another, in which title sponsors and vendors pay upwards of $50,000 dollars for the privilege of giving away free products to famous people. Smartphones, tablets, televisions, designer clothes, boots, bags, booze, jewelry, weight loss aids -- all is given away for free. This year Mary J. Blige, Emma Roberts, AnnaLynne McCord, Laura Prepon and William H. Macy were all spotted picking out goodies, and smiling for the cameras while they did it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...z1kOF4DTjh

This 99% sh*t is absolute garbage. And Redford's comment are the epitome of hypocrisy. Typical hollywood limousine liberals spouting off about being for the little guy as they sit stuffing their faces with 1000$ sushi and caviar, stuffing their gucci bags with free swag and goods, and living like divas.

01-24-2012 11:04 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i've come to accept that my favorite entertainers are going to be mouthpieces for any liberal cause. i keep my mouth shut and enjoy the work they do. their viewpoints take little of my time. they aren't guilty of having too much money, they just want to make it seem like they aren't guilty of having too much money. i'm not even sure if that made sense

01-24-2012 11:41 AM
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
"This 99% sh*t is absolute garbage. And Redford's comment are the epitome of hypocrisy. Typical hollywood limousine liberals spouting off about being for the little guy as they sit stuffing their faces with 1000$ sushi and caviar, stuffing their gucci bags with free swag and goods, and living like divas. "--sounds like you are also describing corporate execs.

01-24-2012 12:25 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(01-24-2012 11:41 AM)Lush Wrote:  i've come to accept that my favorite entertainers are going to be mouthpieces for any liberal cause. i keep my mouth shut and enjoy the work they do. their viewpoints take little of my time. they aren't guilty of having too much money, they just want to make it seem like they aren't guilty of having too much money. i'm not even sure if that made sense
Perfect sense, and absolutely correct.

01-24-2012 12:28 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i just finished reading grapes of wrath. love to drop a copy of that on every occupier. f*cking rip those bumper stickers right off. wall street might be immoral, there should be some corrections but we botched it. whatever way you shake it, there's always going to be rich people and they're going to be made ashamed that they're rich. not going to stop anybody from trying to get rich, not going to make being rich less attractive, but maybe the rich will stand up and say, "instead of investing all this money i earned into the economy, i'll just stow it elsewhere to use a time at my choosing. maybe a tax haven in the caymen's so you greedy motherf*ckers can't touch it."

wrong thread possibly.

01-24-2012 01:39 PM
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2012 12:25 PM)beck Wrote:  "This 99% sh*t is absolute garbage. And Redford's comment are the epitome of hypocrisy. Typical hollywood limousine liberals spouting off about being for the little guy as they sit stuffing their faces with 1000$ sushi and caviar, stuffing their gucci bags with free swag and goods, and living like divas. "--sounds like you are also describing corporate execs.

Maybe, but I know corporate execs who don't live like royalty and certainly I don't hear that many of them publicly spouting off about the 99% either. Its the Hollywood set that seems hell bent on living one way and talking another way.

01-24-2012 02:02 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
For every asshat in holllywood there is one that thinks he walks on water in corporate America. Ya'll never happy about anything.

01-24-2012 07:40 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2012 07:40 PM)beck Wrote:  For every ****** in holllywood there is one that thinks he walks on water in corporate America. Ya'll never happy about anything.

Yes corporate america is the root of all evil. You know there's a difference between corporate America and wall street don't you?

01-24-2012 07:44 PM
Advertisement

chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(01-24-2012 07:40 PM)beck Wrote:  For every ****** in holllywood there is one that thinks he walks on water in corporate America. Ya'll never happy about anything.

You obviously mean Jeffrey Imheldt, Obama's bosom buddy.

01-24-2012 07:52 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

Just to correct the record here the debate isn't whether corporate execs live wealthy lives . Rather the point was they hypocrisy of seeing Hollywood types whining on and on about "the 99%" yet living like fat cats at one of the most posh events around. Beck only tried to turn this into a comparison with corporate America. But I don't see these folks spouting off like Redford and Michael Moore while they horde their cash and jewels and use corporate America to promote their efforts.

01-24-2012 07:58 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators

And you are never happy unless you have the opportunity to "turn the table". You, not y'all, are simply a gadfly. Baaaaaaaaaaaa Mooooooooo.

01-25-2012 12:39 AM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
(01-24-2012 07:58 PM)Murph29 Wrote:  Just to correct the record here the debate isn't whether corporate execs live wealthy lives . Rather the point was they hypocrisy of seeing Hollywood types whining on and on about "the 99%" yet living like fat cats at one of the most posh events around. Beck only tried to turn this into a comparison with corporate America. But I don't see these folks spouting off like Redford and Michael Moore while they horde their cash and jewels and use corporate America to promote their efforts.

Exactly.

I'll never fault any person for making as much money as they can. I may doubt that what they do is worth them being paid that much money, but if they can get it, they should get it.

My problem is, they go live in their mansions, and usually more than one, travel all over the place with special privileges, live the life of the rich and famous that 99% of us don't live and will never live. It's not that they live that life, it's that it makes them completely out of touch with the 99% of us. So please don't pretend that you understand my situation, because there's no way in hell they could.

In terms of wealth, I've always wondered how much is enough? And at what point do you help your fellow man with your millions and billions? That's what disgusts me.

If I won a huge lottery, I've already got a list in my head of the people I want to help, and it's not all family. I've also picked 3 charities I'd like to donate to and contribute my time and effort to. I'd build a nice house, but not a mansion. I'd buy a few cars, but not a parking lot full. I'd have some nice modern technology items in that house and gadgets in my pockets, but not excessively. I'd take a few vacations here and there, but I'd still give back to my fellow man. That's what I don't understand about some of the rich, because I realize many of them do give back. But many are wayyyy out of touch, especially celebrities.

01-25-2012 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.