Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
BE Football schedule release being held up
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

From Syracuse Post-Standard
Quote:Syracuse hopes to release its 2005 schedule next month. The school has non-conference contracts for home games against Virginia and Buffalo. The Big East Conference schedule is being held up because of litigation involving the exit of Boston College to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

What is the ongoing litigation with BC and how can the outcome affect completing the BE football schedule?

<a href='http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/110' target='_blank'>http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandar...se/sports-1/110</a> 6732144135613.xml
01-26-2005 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

In theory if BC loses, then they might stay in the conference for another year.

I don't see how that could realistically happen. Don't they already have scheduled games with the ACC?

We should just let the poor suckers go.

Go and good riddance. They'll regret their decision soon enough.
01-26-2005 01:01 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

If I'm not mistaken...the issue is about exit fees....the BE bylaws did state that a school needs to inform the conference they are exiting by July 1 and is required to pay 1 million dollars in exit fees...but after the orginal ACC raid in which VT and Miami went packing....the BE ADs reached a verbal agreement to raise the exit fees to 5 million dollars and require several years notice if a school is planning on leaving...at the time BC agreed....however...BC left for the ACC before the change was officially written into the BE bylaws....its is BCs contention that they are only required to pay 1 million...the BE says the verbal agreement is binding and 5 million dollars and 2 or 3 years notice (can't remember which one it was) are required....although I'm sure we'd settle for just the 5 million.......I thought this issue was resolved by the courts in BC favor last fall but maybe the BE is appealing

Quote:We should just let the poor suckers go.
Go and good riddance. They'll regret their decision soon enough.

-- Its hard for me to describe to a UofL, UC or USF fan the bad blood that exits between the orginal BE football schools/BE office and Boston College....Not only did they break there word several times during the meetings in Philly when the 16 team BE was agreed to....but it now appears more then likely that BC had been planning the whole fiasco with Miami and the ACC for severl years.....With all that being said the BE is not going to make anything easy for Boston College now.

Jackson
01-26-2005 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

It has already been ruled that BC can leave after this year, so they're gone. The exit fee is the issue. I wish this situation with Boston College could be cleaned up faster, I'm excited about looking at UC's schedule. People can try and rip the Big East all they want but I work with guys who are Kentucky fans, Michigan fans, and Ohio State fans, and when I bring up that UC will be playing West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Louisville and even Rutgers and South Florida their eyes light up. To the casual fan those games are as big as Ohio State playing Michigan State, Michigan or Purdue. That's some serious national rub just playing those schools (talking about the Big East mainstays) let alone being in the same conference with them.
01-26-2005 06:14 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

It is NOT the same as O$U playing Michigan, sorry to say...
01-26-2005 08:53 PM
MHSCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville/ND

I think that many people are selling the Big East short on it's potential. If you asked someone in 1975 if they ever thought that Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Miami could out recruit Notre Dame then people would laugh at you. Things change. I think that regional rivalrys that exist with teams like Louisville and Cincy, Pitt and WVU, UConn and Syracuse could really be a great draw nationally as well. The Basketball rivalries will only increase the football rivalry as we saw with Louisville, Cincy , Southern Miss, and Memphis in CUSA. School's fan bases will support the teams if only to try to out do the next other teams fans and the league will get better because of it.
01-31-2005 10:43 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.