Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: Prize QB recommits to USF
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

College football
Prized QB commits (again) to USF
The Hurricanes do not excite Carlton Hill enough to take back his oral commitment to the Bulls.
By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published January 25, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Carlton Hill has said a lot of things to a lot of people since committing to South Florida in August. What's important is what the coveted Panhandle quarterback told Miami coach Larry Coker on Monday: He's going to be a Bull after all.

"My mind is made up," said Hill, ranked as the No.14 quarterback in the nation by scout.com. "I'm going to stay committed to USF.

"When I visited Miami (this past weekend), I wasn't disappointed. But I just didn't feel it. My heart wasn't there."

Hill is USF's 14th commitment and, arguably, the biggest coup. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder is fast enough to be ranked as an "athlete," someone recruited strictly for his athletic ability and who can play several positions, by some recruiting services.

He's coming to USF as a quarterback, however, and will be one of four on scholarship competing for the starting job this fall.

"(USF) was where he felt most comfortable, and that's just a personal preference," said Jeff Schaum, Hill's coach at Jefferson County High in Monticello, a town of about 4,000 just east of Tallahassee.

"It all comes down to what feels right to you. It's why some people drive Fords and some people drive Chevys."

Since committing to USF in August, he has visited Purdue and North Carolina State, and he was scheduled to visit Mississippi this weekend until he canceled Monday.

The biggest threat to USF always was the Hurricanes, and at one point, he told a recruiting site he was 90 percent sure he was going to Miami.

Even after he was reported as a renewed USF commitment last week, he said he was considering the Hurricanes too strongly to call himself pledged to the Bulls.

Now he said he's done wavering and will stick with his original commitment even though he expects schools to call until signing day Feb.2.

"Miami has the reputation of being Miami," Schaum said. "But (Bulls assistant) Wally Burnham and those guys did a good job recruiting him, showing him what they have going for them in the Big East."

Hill passed for 1,764 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior and rushed for 888 yards and another 12 scores. He's the second first-team all-state quarterback to commit to USF. He earned Class A honors, Lakeland Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe 4A.

How quickly Hill can compete for the starting job will be determined this fall. The Bulls will have junior Pat Julmiste, who started all but one game in last fall's 4-7 season, and sophomore Courtney Denson, who redshirted last season after transferring from Auburn.

Burnham and coach Jim Leavitt are expected to make an in-home visit to Hill on Thursday, another step to assure their biggest commitment stays committed.

"I'm happy for him," Schaum said.

"He and his parents just had more of a comfortable feeling with the players and the coaches at USF, and that's not going to change."
01-28-2005 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

vinman3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Big 12

Congrats to USF, nice commit.

Now, if WVU could only get Gwaltney to stick to his orginial commitment. 04-drinky
01-28-2005 01:09 PM
Advertisement

Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

We are really stoked. CH looks to be the real seal. What is really special is that Miami put the "full-court pressure" on CH and he never waivered. USF is really making headway, thanks in part to BE affiliation. 04-cheers
01-28-2005 03:11 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Ty-Bull Wrote:We are really stoked. CH looks to be the real seal. What is really special is that Miami put the "full-court pressure" on CH and he never waivered. USF is really making headway, thanks in part to BE affiliation. 04-cheers
Congrats to South Florida! Great job! 04-cheers
01-28-2005 07:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.