Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Akron
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
Akron
If I where Sendy, I would pull the tape from the 2011 MAC Final and watch the overtime at practice. Then I would pull the tape from the 2011 win over Akron to end the regular season and watch the highlights.
That might get ice in the veins.
01-19-2012 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Akron
This game could be ugly, too. The thing is, though, it isn't by any means a "must" win. Beating one of the league's better teams on the road isn't something anyone counts on. As David Carducci pointed out elsewhere, even at 2-2 Kent State is right in the thick of things. Of course, if they don't win at Akron, their margin for error gets much slimmer. They'd pretty much have to sweep at home and win 4 of the 5 remaining road games. If the team starts to really gel soon, that is certainly possible. If they don't make necessary adjustments, though, especially in rebounding and turnovers (especially in the low post) it could be a long, so-so, disappointing season.
01-19-2012 09:42 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Ugh. After last night I am thinking the best chance at a victory Saturday will be a couple guys getting hot from distance.

On the other hand, the nice thing about basketball is that there is usually a quick turnaround. I am sure the coaches and team will find a balance of shoving the OU game down their own throats and moving on with business as usual as they prepare for Akron.
01-19-2012 10:13 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

(01-19-2012 10:13 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  Ugh. After last night I am thinking the best chance at a victory Saturday will be a couple guys getting hot from distance.

On the other hand, the nice thing about basketball is that there is usually a quick turnaround. I am sure the coaches and team will find a balance of shoving the OU game down their own throats and moving on with business as usual as they prepare for Akron.

Not only that, but let's consider that this team has had this game circled on the calendar since the schedule was publicized. This is the big rival whom we lost to by 1 point in OT, in the final. If we do not play a whole game and thrash Akron, I'm writing this one off. If there is an ounce of competitiveness in a couple of these players, we will win. Considering the opponent and the way we played last night, I don't see how you can find more motivation to win an away game.
I also predict Jackson gets indoctrinated. The MAC might not be as big of a deal as the ACC... unless you are Kent State walking into the JUG Arena. Then it is very big.
01-19-2012 10:56 AM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
This game is bigger than our coach thinks that it is. This game is a heart check and I am not sure that we have one. Hope we find it soon.
01-19-2012 01:06 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
Wins by Kent, Ohio, and Buffalo Saturday would result in a four-way tie for first.
01-19-2012 03:18 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
If just KSU and Ohio win, it will be a 4-way tie, eh?
01-19-2012 04:06 PM
BrashFlash Offline
Special Teams

Anyone listen to the coach's show tonight? If Ty or Dave read this.... Legend has it that Mike Scott is the player who said the 2008 Championship game didn't need to be close.
01-19-2012 08:51 PM
Ty Linder Offline
Water Engineer

BrashFlash - as soon as we signed off I speculated that it was Michael Scott and that jogged Dave's memory as well.

As for Saturday, I truly believe the Flashes will come away victorious. Marshall will be a tough match-up as always but I also think KSU is going to make some other tweaks and the defense will be right back where it needs to be. Dave mentioned many times Wednesday night and again tonight that this year's team is in exactly the same spot many other KSU teams have been before.

I think we can all agree it's once again a one-bid league. So again it comes down to a week in March. The key is to be a top-four seed to make that week a little easier. While the regular season may not have mattered as much the last couple years for the Flashes, it certainly does this year.
01-20-2012 12:15 AM
BrashFlash Offline
Special Teams

There's a game today.
Anyone want to offer their favorite CrAkon memory? Al Fisher's shot in the JUG in '08. The legend of Mike Scott saying nobody said this had to be close before the '08 championship game. Q's "check mate". Mike McKee's 3 after Singletary's ejection.
I'm hoping for a new memory like Brian Frank hitting 3 3's at the end of regulation today.
01-21-2012 07:12 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

(01-21-2012 07:12 AM)BrashFlash Wrote:  There's a game today.
Anyone want to offer their favorite CrAkon memory? Al Fisher's shot in the JUG in '08. The legend of Mike Scott saying nobody said this had to be close before the '08 championship game. Q's "check mate". Mike McKee's 3 after Singletary's ejection.
I'm hoping for a new memory like Brian Frank hitting 3 3's at the end of regulation today.

I like Fisher shot in '08, just because of the way Kent State took over that gym and "we don't thow stuff." We where very obnoxious walking out of that gym. I'm still surprised my tires weren't slashed.

Although, that memory is not as favorite as in 2006 when the AK-Raunchy came into our gum wearing tee-shirts that said "Kent" on them. At the first time-out they ripped the shirts off and started cheering. It is a nifty idea, but they lost.

However, that memory is not as good as totally outclassing them in the 2008 MAC Finals. Their annoying fans kept yelling "Kent State sucks" at us. Idiots! You where down by 15!
01-21-2012 07:45 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

(01-21-2012 07:12 AM)BrashFlash Wrote:  I'm hoping for a new memory like Brian Frank hitting 3 3's at the end of regulation today.

If that happens, we win by 30.
01-21-2012 07:57 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

Track team beats Akron.

I have a feeling that by March, this Wagon Wheel Challenge will be in the bag.
01-21-2012 08:04 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

There is no doubt that my favorite memory is 2008 in the JAR. I decided to go to the game solo and grabbed a seat in the upper bleachers behind the basket. At halftime I called my usual partner in crime and was gloating just loud enough for the akron fans around me to hear. As the Zips stormed back I was starting to feel like a big jackars. I remember their "hype guy" had the crowd in a frenzy and if memory serves me correct he sort of bumped into "Q" by accident right before the crazy final stretch. As for the Fisher's shot. As soon as he hit that I remember grabbing my stuff and getting the heck out of there. I wanted to hear (Bill Needle?) on the post game and watch it again on the dvr. Great night.
01-21-2012 09:27 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
1992-93 season, down 2. Needing to go the length of the court with about 8 seconds left, Greg Holman inbounds the ball. James Johnson goes as fast as his handle will allow him down the floor and as quick as the action moved, nobody paid attention to the guy inbounding the ball jogging up the court. The play was designed that way as Holman stopped about 22 feet out, received the pass, wide open, and drilled the game winner. When you only win about 9 games a year it was time for the JAR court storm!
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 09:44 AM by dannyb73.)
01-21-2012 09:42 AM
BrashFlash Offline
Special Teams

(01-21-2012 07:57 AM)axeme Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 07:12 AM)BrashFlash Wrote:  I'm hoping for a new memory like Brian Frank hitting 3 3's at the end of regulation today.

If that happens, we win by 30.

That's what I'm hoping for. 04-rock
01-21-2012 10:10 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

We are 11-13 in games at the JAR. That's damn good.
01-21-2012 10:39 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(01-21-2012 10:39 AM)axeme Wrote:  We are 11-13 in games at the JAR. That's damn good.

I don't know how many years the JAR has been open, but Akron is 36-22 against KSU at home.
01-21-2012 10:52 AM
kyflash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State & UK
(01-21-2012 07:12 AM)BrashFlash Wrote:  Anyone want to offer their favorite CrAkon memory? Al Fisher's shot in the JUG in '08.

That's definitely mine. I came to work here in '07, and they were the perfect team to make me love KSU hoops right away. I went to that game with eight other friends from KSU, and we were delirious.
01-21-2012 11:24 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

(01-21-2012 11:24 AM)kyflash Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 07:12 AM)BrashFlash Wrote:  Anyone want to offer their favorite CrAkon memory? Al Fisher's shot in the JUG in '08.

That's definitely mine. I came to work here in '07, and they were the perfect team to make me love KSU hoops right away. I went to that game with eight other friends from KSU, and we were delirious.

SSSSSMOOTHIE!
01-21-2012 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.