Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston Football Stadium Timeline
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Houston Football Stadium Timeline
RFQs for architects went out Monday. We will select an architect by March 26 who will begin work on the design in April. I would be surprised if the architect is not one of: Ellerbe Becket, HKS or Populus (formerly HOK Sport). We should have an accurate picture of what the stadium will look like by summer.

Construction will start in December of 2012 with the demolition of Robertson Stadium after Houston finishes its final season in C-USA.

Houston will likely play in Reliant Stadium (and/or possibly some games at Rice Stadium) in 2013 during its first year of Big East play.

The new Houston football stadium will take 20 months to build and will be ready in the summer of 2014.

It will seat 40,000 initially and will be built to be expandable to 50,000 and 60,000 in 10,000 seat increments as the need arises.

Approximately 4000 of the seats will be premium seats (club level, loge, suite level).

In addition to new lighting and sound systems, new scoreboards and videoboards, we will probably be going from natural grass to some sort of field turf.

The stadium will be built on the current site of Robertson Stadium, and the downtown skyline view will be preserved both for the fans in the South and East stands, and also in the Club Level on the West side.

On related notes, the new 2500 car "stadium" parking garage will open this Spring. It sits right between Hofheinz Pavilion and Robertson Stadium. One of the prerequisites for expanding the football stadium was to account for the additional parking strain. The garage is mixed use with restaurant and retail on the first floor.

Also, the Metro SE rail line is currently projected to open in 2014. It runs from downtown directly past Robertson Stadium. Future out-of-town visitors can stay in one of Houston's fine downtown hotels and simply ride the train 3-4 miles to the game and back.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 01:47 AM by CougarRed.)
01-10-2012 01:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Online
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: Houston Football Stadium Timeline
Very nice...makes me jealous!
01-10-2012 07:33 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-10-2012 01:26 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Also, the Metro SE rail line is currently projected to open in 2014. It runs from downtown directly past Robertson Stadium. Future out-of-town visitors can stay in one of Houston's fine downtown hotels and simply ride the train 3-4 miles to the game and back.

You forgot to mention that there will be a station right next to the stadium. By the Taligaiting pavillions.....
01-10-2012 09:35 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
Awesome. Interesting that they decided to build a brand new stadium instead of renovating the existing one. It must be in a pretty bad state of disrepair for it to be cheaper to start from scratch.
01-10-2012 10:02 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-10-2012 10:02 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  Awesome. Interesting that they decided to build a brand new stadium instead of renovating the existing one. It must be in a pretty bad state of disrepair for it to be cheaper to start from scratch.

They did a study and the money would have been close between new vs. refurb.

The thing is we are getting more bank for the buck with the new stadium versus renovation.

The Rob has it's charm but even I will admit there is too much wrong that needs to be fixed before you even start with anything new.

For one we are not handicap compliant. No way in hell are we even close. Then there are the "concessions" minus the beer sales. Then there are the 45 degree ramps............ and on and on.

Once in your seat it is a great place to watch a game regardless of the rep it gets but the guts, bells, and whistles leave alot to be desired.
01-10-2012 11:23 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Smart move to build new...hope to see a game there in the new stadium.
01-10-2012 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(01-10-2012 10:02 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  Awesome. Interesting that they decided to build a brand new stadium instead of renovating the existing one. It must be in a pretty bad state of disrepair for it to be cheaper to start from scratch.

Robertson Stadium was built for the Houston Independent School District in 1942. Time to start over.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 01:27 PM by DFW HOYA.)
01-10-2012 01:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

As posted above, we did a feasibility study which looked at:

1. Cost of renovating
2. Cost of building new on the current location
3. Cost of building new at 2 other campus locations

In addition, the study also looked at the same issues with respect to the basketball arena.

Finally, we also studied building a combined football/basketball arena like the Carrier Dome.

I believe one of the reasons we did a feasibility study in the first place was because T Boone Pickens told us in 2009 after spending gobs of money renovating the Okla State football stadium that looking back, he wished they would have torn the thing down and built new. For one thing, the maintenance is much cheaper on a new facility.

Anyway, the study concluded there wasn't much cost difference between building new on the current site and renovating, so we decided to build new.

Based on the study, we also decided to renovate the basketball arena. That $40M project should start shortly after the football stadium is done, or perhaps sooner if economies of scale can be justified.
01-10-2012 01:59 PM
Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
Cool stuff. And glad to see built in expansion as needed.
01-10-2012 02:02 PM
Knightshift Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(01-10-2012 01:26 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  RFQs for architects went out Monday. We will select an architect by March 26 who will begin work on the design in April. I would be surprised if the architect is not one of: Ellerbe Becket, HKS or Populus (formerly HOK Sport). We should have an accurate picture of what the stadium will look like by summer.

Construction will start in December of 2012 with the demolition of Robertson Stadium after Houston finishes its final season in C-USA.

Houston will likely play in Reliant Stadium (and/or possibly some games at Rice Stadium) in 2013 during its first year of Big East play.

The new Houston football stadium will take 20 months to build and will be ready in the summer of 2014.

It will seat 40,000 initially and will be built to be expandable to 50,000 and 60,000 in 10,000 seat increments as the need arises.

Approximately 4000 of the seats will be premium seats (club level, loge, suite level).

In addition to new lighting and sound systems, new scoreboards and videoboards, we will probably be going from natural grass to some sort of field turf.

The stadium will be built on the current site of Robertson Stadium, and the downtown skyline view will be preserved both for the fans in the South and East stands, and also in the Club Level on the West side.

On related notes, the new 2500 car "stadium" parking garage will open this Spring. It sits right between Hofheinz Pavilion and Robertson Stadium. One of the prerequisites for expanding the football stadium was to account for the additional parking strain. The garage is mixed use with restaurant and retail on the first floor.

Also, the Metro SE rail line is currently projected to open in 2014. It runs from downtown directly past Robertson Stadium. Future out-of-town visitors can stay in one of Houston's fine downtown hotels and simply ride the train 3-4 miles to the game and back.

Holy crap, I thought you guys were just renovating the current stadium. I didn't know you were demolishing it and building a brand new one. Very nice!
01-10-2012 02:53 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

Here is a map of the light rail and how a station will be positioned right next to the FB stadium

http://www.gometrorail.org/clients/2491/408595.pdf
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 03:12 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-10-2012 03:11 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-10-2012 03:11 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  Here is a map of the light rail and how a station will be positioned right next to the FB stadium

Or here
01-10-2012 03:34 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Houston (and Austin) arrived late to the light rail business. By comparison, Dallas has a head start.

http://www.dart.org/maps/currentandfutur...cesmap.asp

No service to Arlington, though. The 0.25% sales tax for transit goes straight to Jerry Jones.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 03:41 PM by DFW HOYA.)
01-10-2012 03:40 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-10-2012 03:40 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Houston (and Austin) arrived late to the light rail business. By comparison, Dallas has a head start.

No service to Arlington, though. The 0.25% sales tax for transit goes straight to Jerry Jones.

I know. I hate everything about Dallas............. with the exception of your public transportation.

Wish we had ANY. Ours is a joke.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 03:50 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-10-2012 03:49 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-10-2012 03:49 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:40 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Houston (and Austin) arrived late to the light rail business. By comparison, Dallas has a head start.

I know. I hate everything about Dallas............. with the exception of your public transportation.

Wish we had ANY. Ours is a joke.

I still don't understand that. Dallas is a decent city. It's not New York, but it's not crap either. Good weather, lots to do, very little urban blight or pollution. I don't hate Houston, even though I would never live there.

Oh well. Fuel for the rivalry fire.

Suggestion for the stadium --------- KEEP THE PALM TREES.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 10:02 PM by UConn-SMU.)
01-10-2012 10:00 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL

Houston needs to get on the ball, ASAP.

I took the DART to both the Cotton Bowl the morning of the TC Bowl and to the AAC that night for the Mavs game. No traffic, no $$$ spent on parking, and you're dropped off (at least in the case of the AAC) right at the entrance. Best $4 I ever spent.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 12:05 AM by Kronke.)
01-11-2012 12:01 AM
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-10-2012 10:00 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:49 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  I know. I hate everything about Dallas

I still don't understand that. Dallas is a decent city. It's not New York, but it's not crap either.

You were not born/raised in Texas and or Dallas were you?

If you had you would understand. I guess hate is a strong word. I don't plan on going up there and tearing the place down or anything. Just hate all things Dallas (at least sports wise) and root for anyone playing against them.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 09:50 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-11-2012 09:50 AM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
It's about dam time!!!!
01-11-2012 12:14 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(01-11-2012 09:50 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 10:00 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:49 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  I know. I hate everything about Dallas

I still don't understand that. Dallas is a decent city. It's not New York, but it's not crap either.

You were not born/raised in Texas and or Dallas were you?

If you had you would understand. I guess hate is a strong word. I don't plan on going up there and tearing the place down or anything. Just hate all things Dallas (at least sports wise) and root for anyone playing against them.

Agreed. I tried to explain this earlier in another thread.

If you're a native Houstonian, a Luv 'Ya Blue fan, worn a "HOUSTON PROUD" button and were still waiting for Bum to kick the door in, and remember the whole 7-Eleven crap from the Cotton Bowl - you hate Dallas.

Maybe the younger folks born in the 90's and transplants don't have the same resentment, and both cities do have a lot in common these days so I can understand the questions.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 12:46 PM by Blackhawk-eye.)
01-11-2012 12:46 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(01-10-2012 03:11 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  Here is a map of the light rail and how a station will be positioned right next to the FB stadium

Nice, it was great when the SD trolley lines were connected as a subway stop on SDSUs campus - great to get to qualcolm or go to a bball game at Viejas
01-11-2012 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.