Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Observation
Bookmark and Share
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Observation
In the last 5 seasons, we have 3 head coaches and our overall record during that time period is 37-29, with a 22-6 record the last 2 seasons. I think our ADs did a real good job of identifying Head Coaches that fit our profile. There is a consistent trait that runs through Coachs Novak, Kill and Doren. The type of player, the attitude and team identity has been consistent. Terry Bowden became a pest during the search for Coach Novak's successor. Maybe he will be good at Akron, but for us it was not a good fit. When you think about it, how many schools have had 3 HC in 5 yrs and have had the success we have had. Just a thought
01-09-2012 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Observation
(01-09-2012 02:49 PM)gcd Wrote:  In the last 5 seasons, we have 3 head coaches and our overall record during that time period is 37-29, with a 22-6 record the last 2 seasons. I think our ADs did a real good job of identifying Head Coaches that fit our profile. There is a consistent trait that runs through Coachs Novak, Kill and Doren. The type of player, the attitude and team identity has been consistent. Terry Bowden became a pest during the search for Coach Novak's successor. Maybe he will be good at Akron, but for us it was not a good fit. When you think about it, how many schools have had 3 HC in 5 yrs and have had the success we have had. Just a thought
The key to realize is that WE are the program. WE hire the coach, and WE can require certain things of that coach to whom WE give the keys to the Ferrari. He is not the program (for good or bad). The coach can only succeed to the extent WE as donors and fans support him. And WE have done a good job. A pat on the back to everyone here.
01-09-2012 05:53 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
We've really only had these different coaches because we've had success. So they go together.
01-09-2012 06:54 PM
Advertisement

badmoonrising_13 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(01-09-2012 05:53 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 02:49 PM)gcd Wrote:  In the last 5 seasons, we have 3 head coaches and our overall record during that time period is 37-29, with a 22-6 record the last 2 seasons. I think our ADs did a real good job of identifying Head Coaches that fit our profile. There is a consistent trait that runs through Coachs Novak, Kill and Doren. The type of player, the attitude and team identity has been consistent. Terry Bowden became a pest during the search for Coach Novak's successor. Maybe he will be good at Akron, but for us it was not a good fit. When you think about it, how many schools have had 3 HC in 5 yrs and have had the success we have had. Just a thought
The key to realize is that WE are the program. WE hire the coach, and WE can require certain things of that coach to whom WE give the keys to the Ferrari. He is not the program (for good or bad). The coach can only succeed to the extent WE as donors and fans support him. And WE have done a good job. A pat on the back to everyone here.

I believe WE are fickle. WE overreact. WE whine. WE fight. WE jump to conclusions. WE grasp at straws. The coaches are even keeled, determined, focused, hard-working, and passionate. THEY are the program. WE just keep them on their toes IMHO.
01-10-2012 09:20 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2012 09:20 AM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 05:53 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  

I believe WE are fickle. WE overreact. WE whine. WE fight. WE jump to conclusions. WE grasp at straws. The coaches are even keeled, determined, focused, hard-working, and passionate. THEY are the program. WE just keep them on their toes IMHO.
Wow! I'm not sure who the WE is in your post, but it ain't me. And that's the attitude that will kill the program, or at least keep it from growing. Either WE are the program, or there is no program. You can have a good team, but not a good program. And in your scenario the best we can hope for is an occasional good team that comes about by chance.
I don't think you're right. And I know it's not what Peters and Comphers are looking to accomplish.
01-10-2012 09:26 AM
Advertisement

badmoonrising_13 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Yes there are a lot of good objective, even-keeled fans but collectively I don't think you can run a program based on the masses. It takes a strong coach and Joe Novak laid the groundwork for the success that we're enjoying today. He should get all the credit not our fan base, Peters and Compher. The support came after Joe got us over the hump IMHO.
01-10-2012 09:39 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-10-2012 09:39 AM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  Yes there are a lot of good objective, even-keeled fans but collectively I don't think you can run a program based on the masses. It takes a strong coach and Joe Novak laid the groundwork for the success that we're enjoying today. He should get all the credit not our fan base, Peters and Compher. The support came after Joe got us over the hump IMHO.

Fan/donor support is absolutely essential. But you are absolutely right. Everyone has a role and the role of donors and fans is support. God knows even the sanest of us shouldn't be hiring and firing coaches.

The staff, the players, they are the program. They do the work.
01-10-2012 10:02 AM
Advertisement

gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-10-2012 10:02 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 09:39 AM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  Yes there are a lot of good objective, even-keeled fans but collectively I don't think you can run a program based on the masses. It takes a strong coach and Joe Novak laid the groundwork for the success that we're enjoying today. He should get all the credit not our fan base, Peters and Compher. The support came after Joe got us over the hump IMHO.

Fan/donor support is absolutely essential. But you are absolutely right. Everyone has a role and the role of donors and fans is support. God knows even the sanest of us shouldn't be hiring and firing coaches.

I don't believe fan support has anything to do with the basis of the success in spite of 3 coaches in 5 yrs. There is just a common thread started by Coach Novak and has been carried on because we have picked HC that fit our profile. Look at the Bears. When you think about it, the Bears brand is running the football soo what do they do? Hire Mike Martz.
01-10-2012 10:45 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I agree with you. Cary Groth gets credit, so do a lot of people even before her, e.g., Robert Bingham, Bud Nagle, Mike Korcek. In one way or another, they built something from nothing. Not easy to do. Sadler and O'dell completely destroyed it. Cary and Joe rebuilt it. Joe solidified the foundation. Phillips took it to another level. It's all part of building a program. Peters led most of the rebuilding process, and the board of trustees supported it. That IS what I mean by WE. The point is that it is up to US to support the program to make sure there is no backsliding. My point is that it looks like we are in a situation where coaches will come and go. WE are the foundation (WE includes the AD, the Prez, the Trustees, donors, and "just fans") that needs to remain strong and growing. If WE do that, we can achieve greater things.
01-10-2012 11:33 AM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2012 10:45 AM)gcd Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 10:02 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  

I don't believe fan support has anything to do with the basis of the success in spite of 3 coaches in 5 yrs. There is just a common thread started by Coach Novak and has been carried on because we have picked HC that fit our profile. Look at the Bears. When you think about it, the Bears brand is running the football soo what do they do? Hire Mike Martz.
Hmmmm, so if I just sat at home and occasionally glanced at the newspaper to see how the Huskies did, the Huskies would be wildly successful? Newspapers would probably provide more coverage if Huskie fans just sat on their butt all day? TV would pay large fees to televise games from an empty stadium? The highest level of recruits would be calling us to come play for NIU because they are tired of the crowd noise at the horseshoe or those crowed SEC stadiums? Meyer would quit tOSU to come coach NIU because there is no dedicated donor or fan base to interfere, and no administration to place goals and aspirations on him?
So in that case perhaps a better way to "support" the program is to no longer support the program?
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 11:43 AM by chihuskie.)
01-10-2012 11:42 AM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-10-2012 11:33 AM)chihuskie Wrote:  
I agree with you. Cary Groth gets credit, so do a lot of people even before her, e.g., Robert Bingham, Bud Nagle, Mike Korcek. In one way or another, they built something from nothing. Not easy to do. Sadler and O'dell completely destroyed it. Cary and Joe rebuilt it. Joe solidified the foundation. Phillips took it to another level. It's all part of building a program. Peters led most of the rebuilding process, and the board of trustees supported it. That IS what I mean by WE. The point is that it is up to US to support the program to make sure there is no backsliding. My point is that it looks like we are in a situation where coaches will come and go. WE are the foundation (WE includes the AD, the Prez, the Trustees, donors, and "just fans") that needs to remain strong and growing. If WE do that, we can achieve greater things.

Cary is credited with keeping Coach Novak through tough times. However, everyone prior to that really has no stake in our success. Brigham did keep us 1A, however, he had no idea how to succeed at it. Bud Nangle was good for his time, but he was a guy who saw no point in selling the press guide. Remember, Brig hired Corso. O'dell hired Sadler.
01-10-2012 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.