Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The Big East Papers
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

This was brought to my attention by a poster an another board....I can't tell if it is real or not but if it is a fake...someone worked long and hard on it....It is the working assumption that these documents were made public because of the current cout battle between BC/Big East....among the topics discussed were the all sports league vs 16 team allignment and which schools should be considered....note that West Virginia tried to get Marshall in which shocks me

<a href='http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes%20July%202003.pdf' target='_blank'>http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes%2...July%202003.pdf</a>

Jackson
02-21-2005 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Barry G Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Jackson,
It may be an error on my part, but when I click on your link I don't see the article. If possible, could you give a summary of what is said. Thanks.
02-21-2005 08:54 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Jackson,
It may be an error on my part, but when I click on your link I don't see the article. If possible, could you give a summary of what is said. Thanks.

-- Barry G...its not an article but more of a series of notes that were supposdly recorded July 9 2003 in New Jersey...among the notes of the meeting were several different expansion plans including merger of sorts with the CUSA football schools and a 9 team all sports league

-- According to the notes Louisville was the only unanimous choice to be in the league and at this time USF was rejected along with UAB, MArshall, ECU, Memphis and Southern Miss....Temple, UC were being considered for all sports and Army, Navy and UCF for football only

Jackson
02-21-2005 09:02 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

You wouldn't happen to know any way of verifying the date of this would you? That could really help in determining it's validity, especially with the comment of Crouthamel saying he'd retire if they went to 16.
02-21-2005 09:10 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:You wouldn't happen to know any way of verifying the date of this would you?

-- No...all I know is that it orginally came from the message board at bigeast.org from a poster named BCDRUID....again if it is a fake it is a well produced one

Jackson
02-21-2005 09:17 PM
GQPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

kinda depressing from where I sit as a pirate fan. ECU seemingly rejected out of hand. Carrying on the series with Syracuse and WV through the nineties and 00's doesn't seemed to have helped a bit. That's two swings and misses for ECU at the Big East. Reading this doesn't make too optimistic when the eventual big east split comes. better get used to rice and tulsa on the schedule.
02-21-2005 09:17 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:Jackson,

-- Barry G...its not an article but more of a series of notes that were supposdly recorded July 9 2003 in New Jersey...among the notes of the meeting were several different expansion plans including merger of sorts with the CUSA football schools and a 9 team all sports league

-- According to the notes Louisville was the only unanimous choice to be in the league and at this time USF was rejected along with UAB, MArshall, ECU, Memphis and Southern Miss....Temple, UC were being considered for all sports and Army, Navy and UCF for football only

Jackson
Very interesting considering that from the content of those papers we should have a 9 team all-sport league now. You have to wonder what happened that caused them to change course when they seemed determined to move that direction. The SU AD even proclaimed he would resign his position if it went to the 16 team format (and he did). 03-confused I'm scratching my head over this one... looks and reads authentic to me.

Edit: As for Hardesty's support of MU you have to wonder if that was token to get it in the minutes. He has to maintain appearances at home with the state government I imagine.
02-21-2005 09:21 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:kinda depressing from where I sit as a pirate fan. ECU seemingly rejected out of hand

-- I wouldn't worry to much about...USF was rejected in this document as well...and remember only 6 schools voted on this issue...and a sure ECU no vote is gone (Boston College)....in future votes Louisville, UC and USF will be able to case a ballot...so that changes things alot

Jackson
02-21-2005 09:22 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Nevermind.
02-21-2005 09:23 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

reading the notes and commenting....

I wish they would have told trainedgoose to walk right then and there. What a sap and a sad sack that guy comes off as. Sounds like he needed to go the the corner with his 'wooby' and suck his thumb.
02-21-2005 09:31 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:kinda depressing from where I sit as a pirate fan. ECU seemingly rejected out of hand

-- I wouldn't worry to much about...USF was rejected in this document as well...and remember only 6 schools voted on this issue...and a sure ECU no vote is gone (Boston College)....in future votes Louisville, UC and USF will be able to case a ballot...so that changes things alot

Jackson
Louisville was nearly expelled from CUSA for exercising a veto vote against ECUs entry. I doubt that we will be bending over backwards for ECU.
02-21-2005 09:38 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

There is now no doubt in my mind that the football schools will split at the first opportunity, even if a 9th member candidate hasn't emerged and they have to play as an 8 team all sports conference.

When you consider the fact that it was a 6-0 vote to split when we were in serious doubt with the BCS and more dependent on the basketball schools than ever, it makes it pretty obvious that this affiliation won't last much longer. Am I a big football politics geek for getting all excited about these papers?
02-21-2005 09:44 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

nflsucks, I must be a geek also. These papers if they are what they appear to be are the smoking gun. Though they confirm a whole lot of speculation they leave me with more questions than answers. Obviously BC was opposed to the 16 team configuration, which we are headed into, as was Jake Crumenthal to the point of resigning his position. So this move to 16 was not a painless decision and I wonder why we are heading in that direction. If you'll allow me to speculate further the ****** attitude of MT reported in these briefs leads me to believe that he had some influence in the decision to go with the hybrid at the expense of losing Jake and alienating BC.
02-21-2005 09:52 PM
GQPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

L-Yes

that whole deal seemed to be more of a case of power politics between you and your conference mates at the time than anything about ECU. I sure wish I knew what the Pirates did to get on UL's bad side. They seemed opposed at every step of the process to ECU's inclusion in CUSA (first football then all-conf) and it's precursors. I was hoping we might grow on ya after a few years in conference together but i guess not, oh well. For whatever reasons, I tend to agree with you that UL won't be pulling any strings in our favor.

Anyone got any thoughts on who the BE will tap to head up the break away all sports conf? I tend to agree with those on the board who think that Tranghese actions have been a comedy of errors. The sooner that guy is dropped from the payroll the better it will be for you guys.
02-21-2005 10:01 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:nflsucks, I must be a geek also. These papers if they are what they appear to be are the smoking gun. Though they confirm a whole lot of speculation they leave me with more questions than answers. Obviously BC was opposed to the 16 team configuration, which we are headed into, as was Jake Crumenthal to the point of resigning his position. So this move to 16 was not a painless decision and I wonder why we are heading in that direction. If you'll allow me to speculate further the ****** attitude of MT reported in these briefs leads me to believe that he had some influence in the decision to go with the hybrid at the expense of losing Jake and alienating BC.

-- Count me in as the third geek on the board...I'm shocked that Syracuse/Jake Crumenthal with all his influence couldn't put a stop to this 16 league stuff...I wonder what MT and the bball onlys were holding over our heads..maybe the millions in NCAA units?

-- It looks to me like the orginal idea considering who was on the expansion list was a 9 team league off Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Boston College, Uconn, Rutgers, Louisville, UC and Temple....a nice tight geographic conference with very good markets, very good basketball and ok football

-- Again...I find it amazing that no single football school agreed to the 16 team league and yet here we are...well at least we know now that the NBE isn't the one big happy family like MT/BE office/and the media is portraying it to be

-- Also it looks like a 10 team league wasn't even considered...I'm assuming that is probably still the case...probaby look at going to 9 or 12

Jackson
02-21-2005 11:05 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

The biggest thing I notice about the papers is the fact that UL didn't drag UC along at all. Their fans have said on a number of occasions that UC wasn't considered until after UL was brought in and the Big East was looking to add 2 other football schools. I think this can lay that to rest, since for the most part they said UL was in at this meeting and UC was all but in (double checking on NCAA requirements, etc.).
02-21-2005 11:23 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

mlbUC Wrote:The biggest thing I notice about the papers is the fact that UL didn't drag UC along at all. Their fans have said on a number of occasions that UC wasn't considered until after UL was brought in and the Big East was looking to add 2 other football schools. I think this can lay that to rest, since for the most part they said UL was in at this meeting and UC was all but in (double checking on NCAA requirements, etc.).

Uh, it said UC was up for consideration EXACTLY like Temple. Now I'm not saying Louisville was the sole reason UC made the cut but to suggest that this is definitive evidence that Louisville's unanimous inclusion had nothing to do with UC's later inclusion is a reach at best. If you don't think UC's relationship with Louisville or its proximity to Louisville were positives in its candidacy as the process moved forward than you are simply kidding yourself out of senseless pride.
02-21-2005 11:35 PM
bu72ny Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

After the July meeting there must have been a meeting between the basketball schools and the football schools. At this meeting it was probably decided if the football schools were to dissolve the Big East the basketball schools would sue and that it would be in everyone's best interests to pursue the 16 team league until 2010. Its interesting to see that UCF was initially looked at as a football only invite and USF was entirely eliminated at the July meeting.
02-21-2005 11:40 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I wish they would have told trainedgoose to walk right then and there. What a sap and a sad sack that guy comes off as. Sounds like he needed to go the the corner with his 'wooby' and suck his thumb.

-- Yeah...these papers don't paint the best picture of MT....for a man who is supposed to be "neutral" in these matters it sounds like he really went to bat for the bball onlys....I would have loved to see the look on his face when the football presidents started talking about where to move the Be football office to and who was going to be MTs replacement

-- Also suprised at the amount of support Temple got in the expansion process....if the all sports league does go to 12 (I'd say there is now a fair chance of that)... after reading that I wouldn't be suprised to see Temple in as the #6 school in the EAC north...from the way it sounds the EAC offices could be in Philly

Jackson
02-21-2005 11:41 PM
SteveCConway Offline
Memphis Psycho, er, I mean Administrator

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

CrappiesFolding@NCAAbbs

Interesting.

Doesn't make me feel better as a Memphis fan that we may be included in the future though. :frown:
02-21-2005 11:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.